Notices

I'm going to quit today

Old 04-11-2005, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to quit today

Hi,

I'm not sure what's going to happen but I will make today (tonight) my first day of quitting. i'm now 40 years old and I don't even remember when it all started. My daily "routine" ranges anywhere between 3 and 7 bottles of Bud (since one year only the "light").It's way too much and it depresses me the more I come to realize I can't be without it, not for a darn single day. I noticed that I am procrastinating stuff lately, I push it out to the next day, next week or whatever and I am getting very lazy during the day. Once I start drinking at night (between 6.00 and 7.30pm) I have a hard time attending anything else (cooking,paying attention to children,homework etc.) I know it has to change once and for all now.

I don't want to make this longer than necessary, when reading through the various posts, I found a bit of myself in each of them. So, I am hoping to find some support here from now.

it will be a tough night, I already know that but I have my mind set
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Welcome to SR and congrats on your decision. If you've ready many posts around here you probably know that people seem to have the most success when they work some kind of program, whether it's AA, RR, SMARTRecovery, or some other program, or a combination of several. If you look around the site you will find information on these and other programs. Face to face meetings help alot of people but now there are also alot of meetings on line. There are many options out there to help you, just don't think you are in this thing alone. Good luck, take care, and keep posting here. It helps.

Peace,

Tyler
Old 04-11-2005, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello Floridasun--Welcome to SR. This is a wonderful place. You might want to post on the newcomers board as well. You are likely to get a whole lot of replies there. In the meantime, hang in there. We are here for you!

Hugs--
Old 04-11-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and glad you are here....
I will be sending positive vibes out for your first night sober....
Old 04-11-2005, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you all very much for replying... I know I can do this and it helps knowing that one is not alone in this.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Florida,

I'm thrilled you are taking steps to change your life...especially because you have children!

If you have a minute today, you might want to check out rational.org. There is a powerful mental tool on there called "Addiction Voice Recognition Technique" that made it MUCH easier for me to quit and stay that way.

I spent fifteen minutes on that site over three years ago, and as a result, haven't touched a drink since.

It might also be helpful for you to know that 60-70% of people with substance abuse problems are able to successfully quit on their own, and you might be one of them!

Warmly,

India
Old 04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hi and welcome to SR keep comming here this is a good place to meet and tslk to people like us. Be Cool. BikerBill8
Old 04-11-2005, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome Florida!
We sure do understand, hope to see you often! You'll find a great deal of support.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

Good for you!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Florida!

Just echoing everyone's hello and best wishes and strenth on your decision and first nights with out the "bud."
Old 04-11-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Welcome to this site....your first day could be the rest of your life sober....it is a great decision and one that takes a lot of guts to make. I am pulling for you. Keep posting and get to an AA meeting where you are not alone. It will make you realize that we are all over the place in this world.......I wish you the best.....Kahlia
Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Tampa,

what a nice place 2 b sober

welcome Florida Sun

Comes a time for most everyone in here when, drinking was no longer fun. We all cross over that line. Some fight this to the death to recapture th Glory Days.

I'm going on 6 years in AA if you can at all try and get to a meeting. You'll find a lort of people just like you and the rest of us on this site.

U can be alone but, with AA you don't have to be lonely any more.

Keep coming back

Chris
Old 04-12-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Made it through day one

Hi all,

I made it through the first night.

Was really ,really much tougher than I thought. When "drinking time" came around, I got super nervous, so I started keeping myself busy with lots of household activities (never hurts to clean,lol).I cooked an elaborate dinner, much to my husbands surprise and actually avoided "downtime" by sitting down. Man, these hours between 6.00 and 11.00 didn't seem to pass. it was almost as in slow motion. When I was done with all the cooking and cleaning I decided to go to bed and watch Tv in there for a while, because I never drunk in the bedroom, so it wasn't that hard to do. I hardly found any rest last night, but when I woke up this morning I felt really proud of myself for sticking with the plan. I think everyone in my family noticed that I didn't have a drink on the table last night, but nobody dared to ask. I think they were happy to see me do this and didn't want to ruin it. that was just my feeling.

oh well, that was just one night.there are many more to fight through which I'm not sure will always work that well. I don't even want to think about what I will do when I get invited to a party for instance. Just not go? hmm, gotta figure this out.

Floridasun
Old 04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Florida
Well done! Good on you, just keep at it one day at a time. I bet you feel even better today! By the time parties come aruond, you will know what to do. One day at a time. And put in place some kind of help - no extra prizes for doing it alone! I find AA a great help - and I've made new divine sober friends as an extra bonus = and it keeps me outta trouble!
cathy31
x
Old 04-12-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Hi Floridasun,

Welcome to sober recovery! And most importantly, congrats on one day sober!! It seems to me that you are doing all the right things. Since you don't seem to be sick with withdrawl, do as much as you can during your usual drinking time to keep yourself busy!

I find that I needed alot more sleep when I first got sober. It is a fantastic way to pass the time! Plus, your body needs some time to heal and get used to your new routine.

I wish you luck. It sounds like you have a loving family that needs you. Quitting drinking is the right thing to do!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Blaze - thanks for that fabulous link, makes total sense.

Captainzing2000: How are you doing? I have not posted in a while but I am doing great, couple of slips along the way but nothing like before. I have focused on my business and acquired two new contracts for website marketing and design. Good things are happening, why ruin with drinking beyond recognition?

To the rest of you folks that posted in this thread - thank you, I get great support from reading your posts.

Well, as for me I am 35. I started drinking when I was 33 (off and on) and recently it just got out of control. Two years ago, I traded a five year Hydrocodone addiction for an alcoholic nightmare. I am still working on my sobriety so I will not say how many days I have been in my quit, but I will say that I could not have done it without this group and my SOS woman's group.

Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Goneriding

I was just wondering how you were doing. The regulars don't post in a while, people do worry. It's been practice for most of us in this site and others to let people know.

I'm glad you're doing ok. I don't think, it would have mattered when, I started drinking. I pretty much did it too extremes at the very last. I'd always say, one more beer then, I'll stop for the night. Kind of sneaks up on you
Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Captainzing2000:

Thanks for thinking of me. I have been pouring myself into my work, heck I even purchased a drawing pad and some watercolor pencils - something I have not done in a long time. Most of my art is not done on the computer and I miss actually using my hands. I am realizing that addictions are sneaky - one day you wake up and say damn how did I get here.

Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just realized that I posted half of my message here that should have been posted in the How old were you thread. Yep, this tea and honey has me acting all funny.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery Florida. I used to live in Tampa myself.But then again,Ive lived about everywhere.