Notices

I'm going to quit today

Old 04-13-2005, 06:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey, Florida -

How are you this morning? Did you get through another night without the beer? I hope so. You've begun a difficult but tremendously worthwhile journey - remember that we're here to talk if you need to talk. Also, it is a good idea to get some face to face support... it tends to give you some accountability. I tried to get sober alone and found that I really did need the help and support of other people who knew where I was coming from.

At any rate, good for you! I hope you're doing well.

take care,
anne
Old 04-13-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Michael

Welcome to sobriety Floridasun, and well done on your first day alcohol free. I found it tremondously liberating to tell my wife that I was alcoholic and that I was stopping. The process of admitting my problem to another human being is difficult but I believe necessary to allow you to move on to solving the problem. My wife had worried about my drinking for years and has been immensely supportive.
One of alcohol's many effects is to shrink time and we get used to the speedy passage of time that is a result of drinking. When I stopped I also found myself with so much more time on my hands. I treat it as one of the greatest benefits of sobriety. There are no end of ways to use that time and I'm sure that if you think about it you will have been putting things off for ages. Take this opportunity to do those things. It will give you a great sense of achievment and will reinforce your determination to quit. As a great side effect it takes your mind off alcohol.
When I posted recently Blaze05 was kind enough to point me towards AVRT, it works for me and I recommend that you try it. It's a great eye opener and puts you in charge of the process. By all means admit that you are an alcoholic but never admit you are powerless, you can beat the beast and there is an army of people here to help you win the fight.

Very best wishes

Michael
Old 04-13-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Michael,

I'm so glad that you liked learning AVRT. There is a book and more info you can find by clicking on the link(s) below.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=soberrecovery-20&path=tg/listmania/list-browse/-/1ISAEXIJ3B5C2/ref=cm_aya_lm_more">Reading Room</a>

Also, you might want to show your wife the website, so she can feel really secure in your identity/future as a non-drinker. One of the most beautiful things about AVRT is that our loved ones don't have to worry that we will one day "relapse."

Best to you and your family!

India (aka Blaze)