Notices

alcohol and health

Old 04-03-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol and health

Hi all- I have visited this site over the past few months and read many of the posts- very informative. My question revolves around health concerns. I used to be a heavy drinker 4-6 beers 5-6 times a week for a few years after college. For me, my drinking got more frequent once I graduated usually as a response to a panic disorder, weight control and depression. Anyway, have any of you had health implications such as liver problems, etc? I fear I may have really done a job on myself during that time. Please advise if you are comfortable doing so. Thanks, Brenda
Old 04-03-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Brenda and welcome to SR,
It is my opinion that those of us who abuse alcohol usually end up with some sort of medical problems. I for one did but was grateful to avoid liver damage. If your unsure and this worries you please see a doctor. They can run a simple blood test to check out many areas of your health. There are many complications that come along with our drinking and only a doctor can say for sure. We hope you'll return!
Old 04-03-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome

Brenda...

I think a physical is wise. It will settle your concerns and give you a plan of action if neeeded.

What alcohol did to me might not be true for you. You can get scared silly if you compare symptoms!!

Glad you are here... keep in touch.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

While Carol is right "You can get scared silly if you compare symptoms!!" you should be aware of what health problems can be caused by alcoholism and decide if it's worth it to you..
My ABF did liver damage (which is healing because he is 90n days sober), but he also almost starved himself to death because of the drinking. He lost his appetite, wasn't eating except when I made him.. developed swelling in his feet which resulted in neuropathy (which may not go away.. don't know yet), got to point where he couldn't hardly walk, was so anemic... had to have 5 units of blood during rehab.
Fortunately he is healing, but it has been a long long road and will be for awhile..
I had no idea of the damage that could be done other than the liver...
The liver can heal itself if the damage is not too severe, but you have to stop drinking. I strongly recommend you get tested... to know for sure.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Brenda,

Check out this recent post in the AA forum; it discusses signs and symptoms of alcoholism further down the page (begins at about post #10). It sounds as if you probably don't have to be worried though, as its been a while since you drank, and it was for just a few years. Take care.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54974