Notices

Bored at Meetings

Old 08-29-2002, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Bored at Meetings

I am back to being sober again but I'm trying on my own. I find going to meetings very boring and its especially embarrasing to have to go and get a 24 hour chip after 6 months of sobriety I have stomach problems (acid-reflux and IBS that keep me from binge drinking) I like drinking but don't like the aftermath hangovers and memory loss. I try not to think about drinking but even when I'm sober I think about it My sponsor wants me to come back to AA but I don't think it will work unless I commit myself to alot of meetings which I don't want right now My doctor gave me a prescription for antabuse which I'm going to try Not everyone quits thru AA? Confused
Old 08-29-2002, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI DAVIS2002.WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND THANK YOU FOR BEING HONEST.MY NAME IS PETER AND I'M AN ALCOHOLIC.I'M SOBER TODAY BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND THE TWELVE STEP PROGRAMME OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS.IN NOVEMBER I WILL BE CLEAN FOR FIVE YEARS.I'M SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU FIND MEETINGS BORING AND EARLY IN MY RECOVERY I TOO HAD THAT EXPERIENCE.IN FACT I FOUND THEM SO BORING I QUIT GOING AFTER FIVE OR SIX WEEKS AND TOLD MYSELF I COULD DO IT MYSELF.I RELAPSED AND WENT ON A TWO MONTH BINGE.IT WAS THE WORSE BINGE OF MY LIFE.I DONT FIND MEETINGS SO BORING ANYMORE BECAUSE MY SPONSOR TOLD ME THAT I HAD TO MAKE IT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO TRY AND GET SOMETHING OUT OF THE MEETINGS AND THAT THERE WAS ALWAYS A MESSAGE BUT I HAD TO LISTEN FOR IT.OF COURSE THERE IS MORE THAN ONE ROAD TO SOBRIETY AND EACH OF US CHOOSES OUR OWN.AA WORKED FOR ME WHEN NOTHING ELSE DID BECAUSE I WAS WILLING TO MAKE IT WORK.I BECAME SO WILLING TO TRY THAT I EVEN TOOK ON A SERVICE ROLE TO CHAIR THE "TRADITION MEETINGS"AND SOME PEOPLE SAY TRADITION MEETINGS ARE THE MOST BORING OF ALL.I WISH YOU NOTHING BUT THE BEST ON YOUR QUEST FOR SOBRIETY,BUT I PERSONALLY FEEL AA OFFERS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE IN RECOVERY THAT SHOULD NOT BE MISSED.JUST REMEMBER TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND AND LISTEN TO SUGGESTIONS BUT WHATEVER CHOICE YOU MAKE GO FOR IT WITH ALL YOUR HEART.I HAVE NO COMMENT ON THE ANTABUSE ISSUE BECAUSE I PERSONALLY DID NOT TAKE IT AND I HAVE HEARD MANY ARGUMENTS BOTH PRO AND CON,BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM WITH FAR MORE WISDOM THAN I WHO MAY BE ABLE TO OFFER SOME SUGGESTIONS.KEEP COMING BACK.peter.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blendon W.

Still bored?

Hi,
Wow, you're my first email reply! I'm sorry that you're bored. Sometimes I get bored as well. They say that alcoholics are restless, irritable, and discontented. I think I crave excitement and energy sometimes still. However, I know that I will never be able to drink like a normal person. Even bored, life is MUCH BETTER now than it was back then. I was willing (and still am) to try it someone else's way, because my way didn't work, I tried my way over and over. I'm a little leary about giving advice because I know that alcoholics tend to do the exact opposite! At least that's how I am! My Higher Power gives me an "intuitive thought," it's very simple. It says, "stop fighting," "surrender." I tend to fight myself the most. I hope that you are doing well. Thank you for expressing how you feel. Aren't emotions a trip?! Take care.

Old 09-01-2002, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't add anything to what peter and blendon have said. Boredom really isn't much of a problem if you think about the consequences of active alcoholism.

But AA isn't for everyone. It worked for me, thank god, and Davis I hope you will give us another try.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Davis, I can relate to what you say. I am forcing myself to go to meetings. There are other ways. I have been with a program at the VA. However, they suggest an additional program. I think much depends on my mood. If I am already restless then chances are it will continue. I just went over 90 days so it is early. I think at the beging we, or at least I don't know what I want. If, I am at one meeting I want to be at the other meeting. All I can say it is up to the person. I myself have chosen to do what ever even if I don't like it. It is too early for me to pick and choose. Just hang in there and don't drink. Don
Old 09-01-2002, 11:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank You for your suggestions Yes, I decided to back to meetings again I'm trying different ones I bagged antabuse I don't think quitting on my own is going to work As they all say keep coming
Old 09-04-2002, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Scott L.

Meetings,Meetings,Meetings

Hi Davis,

and Hi to my friend Blendin!

2 things that I was told a few years ago, that I didn't realize how true they were untill about 30 days ago:

1) If you don't feel like going to a meeting, that's when you really should go.

2) The more you participate, the more that you will get out of it.

Participating for me isn't just talking for a few minutes at a meeting, it's activly listening, helping to set up and tear down, and talking before and after the meeting and giving and getting phone #'s.

For me, getting into AA has made the difference, not just being around it.

Like I said, I didn't grasp these untill recently, and after a month of about 8-10 meetings a week, I am thirty days sober today, God willing , for the last time.

Old 09-04-2002, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Davis, Glad you are doing better. I also got some antabuse from the doctor at VA here in Bedford . He gave me a weeks supply to carry with me incase I decide to drink and not call anyone. I am not worried about what people in AA say. Sometimes it is that persons interpitation of what is suppose to be no rules. I go by what I reed in much of the AA/NA books etc. Am I willing to go to any lengths to stay sober? Yes, and what ever I do if I don't drink it works. The way I look at it is if I take an antabuse chances I will show up at home sober and with my pay check, I won't be found laying in the park, I won't wake up at the bottom of stairs with flashing lights. If, a damn pill will keep me from drinking fine. What would people suggest if I decide to not call anyone and drink----swallow my 90 day chip. I agree with what my primary care doctor told me. He said " Don antabuse without a program won't do much good. I gave it much thought and study and antabuse in my case is another tool that I can use to and support to that recovery I am building. Hang in there, I am at the VA for my meeting talk later. Don
Old 09-04-2002, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS.I NEED YOU TO HANG AROUND FOR A LONG TIME CAUSE I CANT MAKE IT ON MY OWN. peter
Old 09-05-2002, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Scott L.

Going it alone

Glad to hear that you are hanging in there Peter.

I havn't met anyone that has made it on their own.

God knows that I tried.

and even when I was going to meetings early in my recovery, I wasn't really there, I was just hanging around.

I have had to "dive in " to AA and not look back.

and it's working

:okay:

Old 09-06-2002, 10:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Tigger

I need to get to a meeting myself. I tend to think that if I were drinking, I could find the time to do that, so I should find the time to go to a meeting, something that is an insurance policy for me. I have been bored at meetings before and it always passed for me. Usually if I was bored, I was thinking only about myself and not the other people attending the meeting. I needed to remember that people at the meetings were there for me when I started out and that I can't keep it if I don't give it away.

Karen

Old 09-06-2002, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My recovery is my number one priority today.I attend meetings regularly because it helps to keep me in touch with my disease so I wont become complacent.I never go more than seven days without attending a meeting and depending how my life is going i may attend as many as five per week.My disease never sleeps and it never takes a vacation,plus I too have a responsibility to give back some of what I recieved by being there for newcomers.peter
Old 09-17-2002, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

Darlin',

When you hear those angle feathers you will run to a meeting! I was never bored in a meeting. I went to meetings where people had the desire. There would be so much emotion and caring going on I could hardly get to sleep afterwards.

The day will come when you are ready. I pray that you don't get hurt in- the-meantime.

My love,

Pickle