Notices

Recovery help/questions

Old 03-17-2005, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery help/questions

As of right now, I am still drinking. Not nearly as much though. I am in the process of trying to get into a detox program. My God! Why are these things so expensive? It feels like the medical community takes advantage of drunks. When, in all actuallity, I would think our insurance companies would do everything they could to help us quit drinking. $1000 deductible just to step foot in a detox program. Wow! I could have that much money if I had saved the money I bought beer with for the last year. Sad, but true. huh?
My husband & I are also seeing a counselor. I don't know if he will be there for me after it's all said & done. But I know I will be happier & I, myself need to be happy before I can worry about anything else.
Am I on the right track here guys?
Thanks
Old 03-17-2005, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((((((Kelli/Michelle)))))))))
I met a gentleman in a jail facility recently who said his insurance company had paid for 6 treatment center visits for him over the past decade. He chuckled when he told me he is paying for this present one himself and the food is not half as good as the ones his insurance company paid for time and time again.

Glad your seeking help. Hope and pray the best for you and your husband. Sounds like your tracking very well indeed.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hoe I am doing OK. Like I said, don't know if the hubby will be there after the detox. Which is sad, 19 years of marriage & two kids. Torn down by my alcohol abuse. Lord, I am so ashamed. :-(
Old 03-18-2005, 01:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kelli/Michelle,
I understand what you are going through. I have 24 hours as of this morning. I have had some rough withdrawls but with the price of inpatient I decided that it was stupid and that I was going to do this myself. You need to focus on you right now -- you have no control over your husband's actions. If he has been there for you in your sickness, I'm sure he would be there when you got sober. Good luck! We are all in this together!
Kathy
Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Kelli/Michelle

You are doing the right things..you have made the decision to get help (you are here!) and stop drinking. I don't know your physical/health situation, or how much you have been drinking, so can't advise you about doing it on your own or with medical supervision. I did it alone about 18 days ago...it is rough for quite a few days. There is a very helpful thread in the Alcoholics forum all about withdrawl...experiences, symptoms, warning signs etc...It is a thread started by Chy. It was very helpful to me.

As for your hubby...It really cannot be your main concern right now...that has to be your sobriety...But, if he has stuck with you in your pain, it only seems very plausible that he will be there for your recovery and newfound self.

Many blessings and best wishes on your decision.
Lance
Old 03-18-2005, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Kellie/Michelle!

Welcome to SR! Well yes, hospitalization for detox can be quite expensive, but your a lucky one in that your insurance will help with the major brunt of it. If your done with it, had enough of the misery drinking has caused you, I'm sure your taking the right path for you. I'd continue to work towards complete abstinence to make it much easier on yourself though.

I'll be married 25 years in may, of which 2 of those years hubby finally had enough and we became seperated. He could no longer watch me "kill myself" is how he put it and I was certain I was doomed for divorce, oh great, another reason to drink! But we worked out, I quit for me when I was ready a few months after he moved back in, he was on the way out again, but I didn't know about it. So I guess it was just in time.

I had alway's tried to cut-back, quit, moderate, but could never manage more then 9 days because the difference was I wasn't ready and willing to do it for myself. Always the husband and kids. When your ready you'll do it. If he's stuck with you this long, you come home sober, continue with counseling, I'm betting the chances will be in your favor he stays, as only those that truly love us can endure what we've put them through. *hugs*
Old 03-18-2005, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi Kelli/Michelle,

I think in the long run you will find that $1000 well spent. If I could afford it, I would go back to inpatient this time around. Last time I left feeling like a million bucks. I think this was from not only being clean and sober for three weeks, but actually eating 3 meals a day! Unfortunately, I went back out, but I haven't lost what I learned there, and that was some good psychological/behavioral theory that applies in all aspects of life. So, if you can swing it, I say go for it!

Kathy, conrat's on 24! That's where I am at too, and I know exactly how ya feel! :insane

Paul J
Old 03-19-2005, 01:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a bunch of wonderful advice & support. I can't thank yall enough. I am going to do this...I know, come hell or high water!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kelli/michelle
I hoe I am doing OK. Like I said, don't know if the hubby will be there after the detox. Which is sad, 19 years of marriage & two kids. Torn down by my alcohol abuse. Lord, I am so ashamed. :-(
Don't worry about your husband. Just don't drink for today.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

hi and Welcome Michelle!!

I hope you are checking out AA while waiting.

Just go and listen. ......................

We are saving you a seat!!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am terrified of going to AA alone. I don't understand the schedules...open meetings, closed meetings. What on earth do these things mean?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kelli/michelle
I am terrified of going to AA alone. I don't understand the schedules...open meetings, closed meetings. What on earth do these things mean?
Open Meeting=Usually a speaker meeting which anyone can attend. If you have a friend or know someone in AA, or just a friend who'll go with you, you would be wecome there.
Closed Meeting=Closed to everyone except people who have a desire to stop drinking.

I was afraid at first too. I understand. But, if you're alcoholic your life just may hang in the balance here. Don't let anything stop you from going. You'll be ok. Just let the people there know who you are and how you feel. That's all you have to do.

Pleae keep in touch.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Kelli/Michelle
Welcome! Don't be afraid of going alone - just ring up the general number (find it in the phone book) find precisely where the meeting is - I found if I only had a vague idea of where the meeting was, I would chicken out! You could even ask if someone could meet you outside - either way, if you turn up people will kknow that you are new and will welcome you with open arms. AA is the same all the world over - a wonderful welcoming place where we can all get well. GOOD LUCK! Don't put off gonig - to me that 's when my real recovery began. It's along process, but a good one and as long as you are going in the right direction, doesn't matter how long the journey is. It's a good one to be on.
Good luck and let us knwo how you are getting on!
Cathy31
x
Old 03-21-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Here

is a link all about meetings.

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html

In some places...you can call your local AA and ask for a woman to come pick you up. Also you can take your best friend or husband or ??? to an Open Meeting.

I think iy will be the smartest move you ever make.