Notices

alcohol in the house

Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol in the house

was just wondering if any of you still keep alcohol in the house, i've got 3 bottles of whiskey in the house been there since Christmas some people who didn't know id stopped bought it for me, i know that they are there and it's not bothered me until last night i don't know why but i opened the cupboard saw it there and got a bottle out i didn't drink it but i just stood looking at the bottle tipping it up to hear the glugging sound it made and after a short while put it back, i don't think i was in any danger of drinking it and the only reason it's there is it makes me feel strong knowing there is booze in the house but i don't touch it but it made me think what happens if i have a bad day and open one , maybe i shold just give it away just in case.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Recovery is about choices...I personally choose not to have alcohol that available, but that is me. I CHOOSE to not let anything even remotely chancy get between me and sobriety. While I probably wouldn't drink, why would I take that chance? What purpose does it serve to have it there if you have no intention of drinking it? For me, it would represent a temtation, nothing more, nothing less.

BubbaBob
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i don't think i was in any danger of drinking it and the only reason it's there is it makes me feel strong knowing there is booze in the house but i don't touch it but it made me think what happens if i have a bad day and open one
Hi Dave,

I do not have any booze in my house. When I first got sober it was suggested to remove all booze and I did. Because my alcoholism didn't have anything to do with me being strong or weak, it had to do with the fact that I had no defense against the first drink, and this disease being cunning, baffling and powerful.

i know that they are there and it's not bothered me until last night i don't know why but i opened the cupboard saw it there and got a bottle out i didn't drink it but i just stood looking at the bottle tipping it up to hear the glugging sound it made and after a short while put it back
Dave, if those liquor bottles are not bothering you at all, and there is no danger,... then did you take out any water bottles, or perhaps pepsi bottles and just stand there looking at those bottles, and tipping them to hear the glugging sound that they make? Something tells me that you didn't.

So if you are not bothered by those bottles of liquor, and yet you found yourself taking them out and tipping them to hear the guggling sound, then I too would have to ask myself what might happen some time if I actually were bothered? And if I were asking myself that question, then I would do something about it by putting action to that thought, and take all the alcohol out of my home.

Today, I choose not to have any alcohol in my home. Yes, people do bring alcohol to my home for themselves, and today I can go anywhere I wish to, to Weddings, to parties, and to friends homes who serve liquor. I simply do not have a problem being around liquor today. I do not keep liquor in my own home because thats a choice that I have made for myself. Not because I am strong or weak, good or bad, decent or indecent.....its because I do not drink today, and I do not "test" or "play" with my sobriety. I simply enjoy my sobriety with a daily reprieve, contingent upon my spiritual condition and for this alkie, I choose not to have alcohol in my home.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have any alcohol in the house ever and I'm glad to have made that choice. I think there would be nights, in the wee hours of the morning, when my mind would wander to the liquor cabinet. It's just one less thing to worry about.

Anna
Old 03-14-2005, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well,I can honestly say that when there used to be alcohol in my house,it wasent there long.I would drink it.

Today,I DO NOT keep it in my house!!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ah yes....

I do remember in early sobriety I too held the scotch bottle up to the light and swirled it around...No problem.

A few days later I was opening it...the smell was better than roses...No problem.

Several days later I was wetting a fingure to touch ny lips....No problem.

Soon I was getting out ice and a glass...Bigtime problem.

no I do not allow alcohol in my home. Why would I?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had experience much like Carol describes. Thats why I got rid of all the bottles shortly after I quit. I remember last year, I came across an old empty bottle in my house. For some reason, I just wanted to smell it, to just remember what that was like. I know if there were bottles still around, the day may come when I am alone, and weak. Not worth the chance.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
All is not as it appears.

A buddy I was living with had about 10 of those ornamental Wild Turkey collector bottles packed away out in the shed. Sneaky me I steamed the seals off and carefully removed the caps to get the whiskey. I filled them with water and re glued the seal so they looked untouched.

I never got the chance to tell him I did it. I’ve often wondered if he ever threw a big party. Intending to share the golden, slowly aged, smooth whiskey inside them. I Hope it wasn’t a bachelor party.

Dave. You know the answer. Get it out of there buddy.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Agnostic with faith

"I don't think I was in any danger of drinking..."

Danger? Now there's a dangerous word. I think that tipping up the bottle to prove you're strong and you're not in "danger" shows you're still a bit uncertain. I know I am, that's why I don't have any booze at home. But that's my choice for the time being.

Hugs - Pedro
Old 03-16-2005, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

all gone now i've given it all away to friends , i guess i've no need to keep it at all if i'm not gonna drink it.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great choice Dave!