Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Alcoholic mouthwash and products containing alcohol...

Notices

Old 03-10-2005, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

THEY FREAK ME OUT!!! I never noticed the smell and taste of them before because I was practically sweating pure vodka at the time...but now...OMG! My mouthwash just suddenly tastes...like pure alcohol...not even mint...nothing...all I can taste is the DRINK!
I even swallowed someone of it to 'test' if it was as alcoholic as I though :/ which was pretty lame...but at least it WASN'T enough to make me the slightest bit non-sober.
But, anyway, alcoholic products are ALL AROUND US! I smell the cleaning fluids, facial toner...SO many things!
Mornings are becoming unbareable...I need to find alternatives...!
It's not like I'll actually drink these things...it's just the smell makes me crave a proper drink...
Can't even wear aftershave anymore. It's pathetic.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Yeah those things have a type of alcohol more like rubbing alcohol, definately not meant to be or safe to consume for anyone lol. But, I hear ya. What really gets me is "Irish Cream" coffee creamer. No alcohol at all but just seems to remind me too much. Makes my stomach churn lol. I've heard that smells are our strongest memories.

Paul J
Old 03-10-2005, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
This catz gone wild!!!

Smells can be so strongly tied to memories. I am Jocelyn addict/alcoholic. I have issues with smells too. Even stuff that doesn't smell like drugs or alcohol, but a smell that was around me be it perfume or other fragrance that I would often wear or smell while I was using heavily. If I smell it now, it triggers a craving. Sometimes cocaine smells like deisel fuel, and if I smell deisel fuel I am reminded of sniffing cocaine, and may even start to crave it! Its weird. So I stay away from those perfumes that I wore while I was using, and if I can't a smell I try to associate it with NEW memories. But it is best for you to stay away from alcoholic mouthwash and coffee that smells/tastes like alcohol, because its just like torturing yourself. Hang in there! You can do it!

Luv;

Jaz
Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richey
THEY FREAK ME OUT!!! I never noticed the smell and taste of them before because I was practically sweating pure vodka at the time...but now...OMG! My mouthwash just suddenly tastes...like pure alcohol...not even mint...nothing...all I can taste is the DRINK!
I even swallowed someone of it to 'test' if it was as alcoholic as I though :/ which was pretty lame...but at least it WASN'T enough to make me the slightest bit non-sober.
But, anyway, alcoholic products are ALL AROUND US! I smell the cleaning fluids, facial toner...SO many things!
It's not like I'll actually drink these things...it's just the smell makes me crave a proper drink...
Thankfully there are alternatives out there that are alcohol free; for mouthwash I suggest one of Trader Vic's mouthwashes; for vanilla extract go to any health food store or Trader Joes, you'll find glycerin based extracts there.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Richey, There are ALOT of products on the market that contain alcohol. I did some research vie the internet & was amazed at the different types. Even certain Breath Mints have a form of alcohol.
There are MANY All natural items that you can purchase from Health Food establishments which contain NO Alcohol. Such as deodrants, toothpaste, mouthwash, face & body lotions, & some perfumes.
Hope this suggestion helps & have a great 24 hrs.
Sincerely, silenthummer
Old 11-16-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillary

Question

What freaks me out is that there are all these things with alcohol in them and I get tested for drugs randomly. even though I don't use mouthwash with alcohol in it, I worry about other things. Like, can I get a dirty bottle from using face toner with alcohol in it. Seriously, I worry that it could absorb into my skin and give me a dirty bottle, then I would get kicked out of my recovery home in a heartbeat. Do you think that can happen? :praying
Old 11-16-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you again Richey...

As others have shared...you can find alcohol free products
Health food stores are a good place to look.
Wal-mart also carries some...
if they have stores in London.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hillhale....
Welcome to SR

I have not been in a recovery home so I can't
tell you what is expected or allowed in them.

I suggest you ask a staff member for facts.
I would guess there are different standards in each.

Congratulations for chooseing a better healthy fture
Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not allowed to have Listerine in my house and that's my rule for me. I keep that stuff away. I know what you mean though. After not being around it, drinking it, etc., boy can I smell it!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All of our facial products have alcohol free. Our mouthwash says "Alcohol Free" on it. We don't even buy the real Vanilla Extract. I never had an issue with it before but the smell makes me ill when I cook/bake so I buy the immitation. I'm all about eating natural foods etc., but I just can't stand the smell of the real stuff.

It looks like Nutrogena, Cetaphil, and Oil of Olay products don't have alcohol.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richey View Post
In a way they should freak you out. Have had people tell me on more than one occasion that they've drank mouthwash for the alcohol. I use cologne, but not that much. And I avoid those obvious over-the-counter things like liquid Nyquil, which contains a hefty dose of alcohol. They have the same products without alcohol.