Notices

No longer a party

Old 03-04-2005, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vox def Priistas

Unhappy No longer a party

Hello,
I figured if there's a place to start facing my addiction, I would do it here where it's welcome. My alcohol addiction has gone out of control at this point, and I know that I need to stop. Of course, stopping doesn't come easy at all.
I'm 21 and a senior in a renown university. I've averaged about 12-15 drinks per day the past two months. I've averaged a little less over the past few years, but have still been a strong drinker since I was 18. People I've known for years are now getting jobs and starting their lives, but my future doesn't even exist (aside from drinking a lot and living a sub-standard life). I have no good employment prospects, I'm getting an embarrassing beer gut. I have no energy. Obviously I need to quit, and life will still be hard and wasted. I guess that I feel it's too late to turn back now. I've been addicted to cannabis, cocaine, and nicotine, but NONE of them had a grip on me like alcohol.
Thanks for reading.

-D
Old 03-04-2005, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome RQ,
I gather you're talking about the reduced quality of your life, but I assure you that you're life is of great value. Glad you feel welcome here as it IS a very nice place to start your recovery. Kudos to you for realizing at an early age that alcohol is not the answer. Can you get help from a facility nearby? Is there an AA organization nearby? I imagine you're feeling depressed and out of energy and maybe not wanting to think about getting some additional help outside of SR. It's definitely not too late to turn back. In fact, turn around and run as fast as you can. Don't let this addiction ruin your life. You sound like you really want to come clean, so I hope you'll keep posting and let us know what's going on in your life, because there's a reason why you're using drugs and you haven't really stated it, except that maybe you're following peer pressure.
Anyway, I'm really glad you made it to SR and I'll keep you in my prayers.
You CAN beat this addiction!
Val
Old 03-04-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

While you are still at the University, go get some help now. Most have Student Health Centers that will have referrals as there are many other students facing the same situation.

Get involved with a local AA group ASAP that is comprised of fellow students. Besides getting the help you need, I bet you will develop some long lasting friends from sharing the experience.

If you took the time to find about this website, it should take 10% of that time to go to the Student Union or whatever and get some help.

Do it, because YOU are WORTH IT!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

It is hard to face our problrms...glad you are seeking answers now.

AA is my solution to my alcoholism.

Please see if helps you..millions of us are winning over addiction!
Old 03-04-2005, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, all these college kids opening up about wasting their formative yrs. i thought there were very few people like me who neither did well in college nor dropped out but graduated with zero prospects.

at least you're tackling your addiction now. some people like me go on to waste several yrs after college as well.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi RQ, welcome. I know how you feel. Good mews is that you have a big advantage. At 21 your still young. For many of us, it took many more years to come to realize that we have to stop drinking and change the way we live. So don't be too hard on yourself. Start looking into recovery programs, AA for example. Set some goals, get out to meetings, get active. There is a lot of support here on SR too. You can do this. But you have to really want it. Hope to read more about your recovery journey.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Agnostic with faith

Hi RQ,

It's never too late to turn back, especially, as 1Marty pointed out, at your age. That said, a drug is a drug (alcohol, cocaine, heroin, nicotine...), we all are addicted to mind-altering drugs. You, and I, are just more sensitive to alcohol. You also sound depressed, no energy, all that will come back once you stop drinking. All your prospects will come back.

You just need a way of stop drinking for good and SR is the best place to start. You also have the AA, therapy, all of them together, which is my case. Just get sober and things will start to make sense.

Meanwhile keep posting and reading our posts.

Pedro