Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Gone off the rails with Booze since quitting Smoking....

Notices

Old 02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

New here, as per the title, has anyone else done the same?

Cheers

A
Old 02-28-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tuftus,
Welcome to SR. I don't smoke, but am a recovering alcoholic. There'll be others coming along to welcome you. So let us know what's going on with you.
Val
Old 02-28-2005, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Val,

I would appreciate any advice...

Before I quite smoking I was doing a few cans of beer a night and a whisky chaser...

Now since I have quit smoking I am on 4 cans, 2-3 glasses of wine and 2-3 chasers.

Going to see the doctor tomorrow because it is just depressing me and really starting to affect my life, I was just wondering if this is common in ex smokers, or am I just on the slippery slope...

Thanks

A
Old 02-28-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Tuftus:
I am a recovering alcoholic and a smoker.

There are two schools of thought from what I can ascertain in talking with people.

1. Some people say if you are going to quit your vices you should do everything at once and just get it over with.

2. Others say - only try to quit one vice at a time. You will be more successful that way.

What do I believe - honestly not too sure.

I am staying sober - but still smoking. I want to quit smoking - but for the moment, I want to feel stronger about my sobriety before I do. Besides, the last time I tried to quit - after a week my staff bought me a carton and begged me to smoke. Gives you an idea I was not a very nice person while trying to do that.

Okay, so I have been no help at all. See what your doctor says. And you will always find pearls of wisdom here at SR.

Northwoods Lady

Last edited by Northwoods Lady; 02-28-2005 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Northwoods Lady
Okay, so I have been no help at all. See what your doctor says. And you will always find pearls of wisdom here at SR.

Northwoods Lady
Thanks, all advice is much appreciated!!!

I was / am considering starting smoking again to get the booze under control, but was looking for opinions as to wether thats an option or a fantasy basically...

Cheers,

A
Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Tuftus,
Don't despair. Recovery doesn't come in one day. Just know that we care about you and your health. So just keep trying and I do understand how depressing it all can be. Just hang in there and don't give up.
Val
Old 02-28-2005, 10:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tuftuss,
This is exactly what happened to me. I quit smoking 10 months ago. I always drank alcohol, but my consumption escalated with the quit to the point where I knew had to quit drinking. I did 7 weeks ago and I am doing well and feeling great. I never knew before how much smoking effects brain cells. Good luck and let us know what your Dr. thinks.
Brighty
Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm still following this thread, because even though I don't smoke, I'm starting to overeat. Could be that newbie bus pantry.
It's our addictive behavior. We give up one thing and develop a new obsession. Maybe trading an unhealthy obsession for a healthy one is the answer. That would require I get off my lazy arse and use my creativity to overcome my addictive behavior. Ouch! Someone's got me by the ear and is pulling me off the couch again. Something about giving Him 20.
Val
Old 03-01-2005, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome to SR Tuf.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ARW

I don't know how some of you quit smoking while still drinking. I always said I'd quit smoking right after I quit drinking.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi TUftus
Same thing happened to me...drinking REALLY escalated when I gave up smoking - but you know what, in retrospect I think it was coincedental. I was always an alcoholic, just didn't know it and stopping smoking happened, I think, to coincide with my alcohol consumption going out of control. I do know one thing, if I had started smoking again (which I didn't thank God) I seriously doubt that my drinking would have gone back to 'normal'. I wouldn't start smoking again if I was you...I'd rather focus on cutting back alcohol, and if you can't, give it up for good. It can be done with the support of a recovery program and places like this wonderful website.
So...my opinion, I'd say, yes, on slippery slope.
Do the old test - give up all alcohol for a month - if you can do it relatively easily, you're ok. If not, well you might want to start examining your relationship with alcohol more closely?
Keep us posted, and keep coming back!
CAthy31
x
Old 03-02-2005, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the advice...

I will keep you posted.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Agnostic with faith

I'm all the way with ARW. Quit drinking before quitting smoking. My Doctor told me exactly the same. Our organism tends to replace an addiction with another to fill in the left empty space.
When I quit drinking 40 days ago, I stopped smoking 15 to 20 cigarettes a day and lifted off to over 2, 2 and a half packs a day. I more than doubled the amount.
As I said my Dr. ordered the treatments in this order so I guess it's very probable the reverse to be true.
My advice to you: see a Doctor even before starting to smoke again.

Pedro.

P.S.: you're right Val. I've always liked to write. So why am I smoking 50 cigarettes a day instead of writting a short story?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
new life

Welcome Tuftus !
I quit smoking 10mths ago, quit drinking 2mths ago, I don't know which is easier or harder to quit first, All I knew was they were both dangerous,I didnt have them...they had me!!
God bless
Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

Old 03-03-2005, 04:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tuftus,
Everyone is different! One year ago my smoking was causing more problems than my drinking. I am no expert on any of this. For me, smoking was harder to quit than drinking. My thinking is that I smoked a pack of cigarettes throughout the day; therefore I had triggers and urges to deal with the whole day those first few months. I usually only drank in the evenings, even after I quit smoking, therefore I have only had triggers during the evenings.

I would definitely NOT start smoking again to deal with drinking more than usual! I believe, If you can quit smoking, you can deal with the drinking!
Good Luck, and do keep coming back!
Brighty
Old 03-03-2005, 04:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i find this so strange b/c i always want to smoke when i drink. how were you able to quit drinking first? I feel like once i quit drinking i will then be able to quit smoking.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ninthchance,
I hope this answers your questions. This is an excerpt from whyquit.com Nicodemon's Lies?. "When you drink alcohol it causes your urine to become acidic. The acid causes nicotine to be drawn from your blood at an accelerated rate. Thus, the more you drink, the more nicotine you'll need to ingest to avoid the anxiety of early withdrawal. Although early alcohol use contributes to destroying a great many quit attempts, understanding the nicotine-acid relationship can be of benefit in accelerating physical nicotine withdrawal so that quitters can begin feeling relief sooner. Acidic fruit juices, such as cranberry, may help reduce the normal 72 hours of withdrawal required to remove all nicotine from the blood. If at all possible, don't drink during the first few days of your quit. When you do decide to drink, drink at home without cigarettes around before testing your resolve around smokers."
Brighty
Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tuftus View Post
Hi,

New here, as per the title, has anyone else done the same?

Cheers

A
New here, too. I see this reply is 5 years after this original post...but I have noticed the same issue. I have never thought of myself of having an alcohol problem, but since I have quit smoking (4 months ago TODAY)...I have begun to drink SO much more alcohol. I do not crave more ciggs while drinking, but I have completely replaced my smoking habbit with drinking. I am beginning to worry about the amount I am drinking and find myself THINKING about when I can get my first drink early in the day. THIS is REALLY WORRYING ME!!!! I am 40 years old and have NEVER had a problem with alcohol. HOW can I have developed a problem in the 4 months since quitting smoking. IS that even POSSIBLE??????? Is is worse to drink or is it worse to smoke? I just don't know if I am doing more harm than good? Anyone else currently doing the SAME thing? or have done the same thing in the past??? I NEED some advice. ...and more than just..."DON'T drink"....Thank you!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Palmmamma,

This thread is 5 years old. Maybe you should go start a new thread and introduce yourself.

Welcome to SR.