Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Gone off the rails with Booze since quitting Smoking....

Notices

Gone off the rails with Booze since quitting Smoking....

Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ARW View Post
I don't know how some of you quit smoking while still drinking. I always said I'd quit smoking right after I quit drinking.
Because I had to teach kids, I couldn't step out and puff on one during the day, but when I got off work and hit the bottles, I'd make up for the day's abstinence in just a few hours.
When I gave up drinking, I found that I smoked a few per day for a couple of days after I quit and then it just lost its appeal. It wasn't the same without a glass in the other hand.
Even after a satisfying meal or a good cup of coffee, it's nothing more than a fleeting thought.
After good sex? I wouldn't know anything about that at this stage of the game.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Detroit,
Seems to me that you are an alcoholic but not a nicotine addict. So you smoked as something you enjoy with your booze, or as something that was part of the lack of control that comes with drinking.
Nicotine addiction is very, very powerful on its own....
Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well...I NEVER drank like this UNTIL I quit smoking. That is my point...anyone else START drinking HEAVILY upon quitting smoking? Sure, I would drink occasionally, and more when I smoked...but nothing like I am now. I am just wondering IF this is common when one quits smoking and IF it will taper off...or will it become a problem..or is it a problem ALREADY? I am thinking if I am finding myself thinking about a drink...before it is appropriate, then it is a problem already. HOW does one develope a problem in 4 months...or is this just me treating alcohol like a ciggarette?? I am confused but too embarrassed to ask my doctor because automatically, she will assume I have a drinking problem and think I am in denial...perhaps I am??