Notices

Humility and Recovery

Old 02-27-2005, 09:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andy F
Hi Tracy

I have no problem with anyone else's view, but I personally have no place for 'humility' as any part of addiction abstinence. For me, this is a throwback to AA's religious roots.

Of course, humility is easily understood as acknowledging the truth, whatever that may be.

A lot of people will beat themselves up trying to find 'humility' as the bad and undesirable wretches they believe themselves to be. In fact, what they need is building up, not the eradication of their ego.
I understand what you're saying. I don't see how viewing one's self as less than human is any better than more than human.

I'm relating to what Peck wrote about, that self-love is important and productive but self-esteem can be damaging. He was a Buddhist at the time and his words were definitely not biblical. [/QUOTE]

Hugs,

Tracy
Old 02-28-2005, 12:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Tracy

Do you mean Peck as in Scott Peck? I read his stuff about 15 years ago, he was very fashionable for a while. I thought he was a Christian. I read stuff by the Dalai Llama, but I wouldn't put it in the same bed with Scott Peck.

Anyway Tracy, I didn't know you were relating Humility to what Peck wrote. I was just relating it to AAs roots and recovery from addiction. It's part, for me, of the unnecessary and even misguided. But I am only talking for myself.

The issue of humilty is something I am happy to keep simple, even oversimplify or ignore. Though it would have been important when I was looking to a spiritual resolution.

I accept other peoples choice to pursue resolution where they think it is. Today, mine is based in non-spiritual and emotional matters. That is of course, just my choice and everyone is free to choose their own direction
Old 02-28-2005, 06:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

As I read through the posts here, I call to mind who I was when I first came to SR. At that time, my desperation to become sober was heightened by my depression which was damaging to my self-esteem. As I worked through my personal recovery and began reaching increasing levels of sobriety, I began to face all of the unpleasant events of my past. I eventually reached a level of humility that counterbalanced my ego. There was a continual ebb and flow of humility and ego. With the juggling of both humility and ego over an extended period of time, I have found a sweet mix of both that has elevated my self-esteem back to a normal state. All I have to do now to maintain my recovery, is to continually monitor the mix...with the continual help and under the watchful eyes of the higher powers of my understanding.
Val

A day not drinking is a day not wasted.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Val-light
As I read through the posts here, I call to mind who I was when I first came to SR. At that time, my desperation to become sober was heightened by my depression which was damaging to my self-esteem. As I worked through my personal recovery and began reaching increasing levels of sobriety, I began to face all of the unpleasant events of my past. I eventually reached a level of humility that counterbalanced my ego. There was a continual ebb and flow of humility and ego. With the juggling of both humility and ego over an extended period of time, I have found a sweet mix of both that has elevated my self-esteem back to a normal state. All I have to do now to maintain my recovery, is to continually monitor the mix.
Val
Great post Val-
I think you've got it by cracky...
Old 02-28-2005, 06:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What a fantastic post Val....
Old 02-28-2005, 07:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Why do I get what you mean when you say that? And absolutely believe you and know that it's probably the basis of your solid foundation.
And why am I more comfortable not believing the same for myself?
Oh boy, is this a can of worms we're opening here?
Decisions???? Dan, I was where you're at at a point in the begining. Chicken and egg question. Did I gain the desire to stop drinking after "I" decided to come to AA or was the desire to stop drinking and ask AA for help there before I went to my first meeting? There's a part of me that would love to take credit for my own sobriety like some here at SR. I'd love to say getting sober was my idea, that I made the decision, and that I have the power to get sober and stay sober in spite of whatever else happens. I wrestled with that notion for as long as it took for me to make a decision that "on my own and by myself, I'm nothing." "My best ideas and efforts got my life to a point where I just couldn't stand it any more." To ask for help from others, and to put my faith and dependence on AA and my Higher Power is not a curse as some may think, and does not mean that I'm a member of some kind of cult. What it does mean however, is that I am now a member of the majority of the human race who believe that there is something more important and more powerful than I am. What a relief. I'm not alone any more. I don't have to rely on my own ideas and efforts any more. I have the power of the program and my Higher Power to take me through tough times when I don't know what else to do. All I have to do is set my ego aside and let the humility take over and ask for help. What a concept!!
Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Dan

"on my own and by myself, I'm nothing."
Again, I hear you loud and very clear Music.
I made the decision not to apply that thinking to me. Not because it would deprive me of anything; not because it would be a blow to my addict ego; and certainly not because I don't believe it's an effective way of keeping things simple.

I decide to believe that having cleaned up my body as best I can, worked the steps honestly with my sponsors, and continuing to do so on a daily basis, and most miraculously (big word, I know), knowing in my heart and in my soul that the obsession to drink to escape my life has been lifted, that I am something, standing alone among my peers.
And not only my peers in AA, but my peers in all of society.
We may just be splitting hairs and playing semantics here Music.

It's almost a year ago I found you and SoberRecovery.
And not a day has gone by I haven't learned and laughed and sometimes cried.
You once told me to take the cotton out of my ears and shut up.
You know what? You were right. I needed to listen to you and the other longtimers here and in the rooms, so that I could find my voice, and my direction.
You tolerated me when I ranted sometimes, patiently and without making fun of me.
I've always wanted what you have Music.
And I got a little more of it today, if I may humbly say so.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Andy F]Hi Tracy

Do you mean Peck as in Scott Peck? I read his stuff about 15 years ago, he was very fashionable for a while. I thought he was a Christian.
He is now, more mystic than anything else IMO, and some fundies dubbed him the anti-Christ when he converted. But for his first two "The Road Less Traveled" (20 year bestseller) and "People of the Lie" he was not. He's an interesting human being. Some of his latter work lost me but some I liked. BTW, in his idea of the stages of spirituality, you would definitely place in the upper rungs but since that's a whole 'nother can of worms, I'll PM ya.

Sadly, there's not going to be much more from him as he's suffering from Parkinsons.

I read stuff by the Dalai Llama, but I wouldn't put it in the same bed with Scott Peck.
Don't know.

Anyway Tracy, I didn't know you were relating Humility to what Peck wrote. I was just relating it to AAs roots and recovery from addiction. It's part, for me, of the unnecessary and even misguided. But I am only talking for myself.
I understand and have the utmost respect for your views. I loved your post in personal stories too. You said something in another post about what the recovery field might look like in 200 years. I think about what it might be like to have 22 years of sobriety. If I never pick up another drink, I'll be 66 on my 22nd anniversary. I hope to be as broadminded and flexible as you when I'm 66.

Tracy
Old 03-02-2005, 08:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow! Just what I needed to read today! I have been listening to the ego and avoiding the humility, big time lately. I haven't posted anything in a couple of weeks and have found doing so makes me humble and helps me not to listen to the ego. It has always been difficult to allow anyone to help me and even harder to ask for help considering myself not to need any help at times; in some areas of my life I have made progress with it, sometimes by having it forced on me and sometimes just giving in to it and allowing someone else to do things for me, difficult for me as I have always been the one to help others. Years ago when I was in recovery via ACA and ALON I found the serinity in just listening to others, and sometimes it was in sharing or chairing; but this is different, this is me needing help to change a life long habit of avoiding humility and listening to the ego. Thanks for posting this thread, it has given me a new perceptive.

Patty

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow, my favorite subject!!! I had not read that thread in a while. An oldie but goody. I have to go bring my kids to pre-school biut I can't wait to come back and use this thread as a way to remind myself to remain teacheable and practice humility. It's exactly what I am in need of at the moment.

Humility became my favorite topic after I had 5 years of sobriety and thought I knew all the answers. I picked up a drink two days after my anniversary and experienced a relapse that aI cannot believe I made it back from. Scared me to my knees and I've been there ever since. However it's a daily reprieve and sometimes I need a good reminder. thanks Tracy
Old 03-04-2005, 03:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
On The Bus

I Dont Know

Originally Posted by Patsyd1
Humility to me, is "truth"

It's remaining my right size by understanding completely that I am one teenie weenie, itty bitty, microscopic speck in this vast universe, and that I am just simply not that important.
Even though we are all just "Dust In The Wind", I believe every single human being is important/special in my HP's eyes.

We may not be much, but we're all we got!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 04:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Even though we are all just "Dust In The Wind", I believe every single human being is important/special in my HP's eyes.

We may not be much, but we're all we got!!!!!!
Left to my own devices, "my thinking". There was a time that I thought that I was the most important thing. Me, me, me, me, me. Left to my own diseased "thinking"... I was very unique, I was so different, and I was so powerful, that I thought I could drink.... because I thought I was God.

Today I realize that although I am very important in my HP's eyes, that I am a human being, one among many, and that I am not more important than anyone else, and that I am certainly not God. LOL

I learned that for this alkie, there will come a day when no power on earth will keep me away from a drink or a drug.... so I had better get a Higher Power in my life, and it had better not be ME. LOL

Today, I am not all I have. I have God in my life, AA, the 12 Steps of recovery, and all the wonderful people in this program, who help me to remain teachable.