Notices

eating disorders and alcohol abuse

Old 12-21-2005, 05:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thumbs down

oh wow what a good post
for me my drinking is probably tied to my food issues
one of the main reasons i try to give up boozing (along the obvious) is the amount of uncontrollable hunger it gives me

i used to pride myself on being able to not eat and drink so much and still be skinny and drank and *all that good stuff* now the amount of guilt for each (eating bad food and or getting drunk) throws me over the edge.. and ill binge

2 me the 2 are very linked. it all has to do with comfort levels. im uncomfortable with body fat on me like im in uncomf with being sober at certain times (sat night) so i diet and i drink to *get me there* i can honestly say now im at a not so good place, where im drinking,,, and trying not to eat...

thats sure to end well..
Old 12-22-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can certainly identify with that.. I'm afraid that recently if I know I'm going to have a few drinks I skip the evening meal to avoid extra calories. Silly I know !
Old 12-22-2005, 11:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Estella,

Yep, I remember doing that (skipping food to allow for the alcohol calories).

I think that we with alcohol and/or eating problems tend to have obsessive personalities. I've noticed further (since that dumb stop on the doctor's scale!) that those long-ago ways of thinking about food are sneaking back into my brain. Ugh--how very annoying!! I just want to be FIXED, not to have to fight this garbage my whole life! (sigh)

The thought has crossed my mind that I should go back to drinking so I won't get fat.

But I know that's not a good way to think. I need to get back to work--I've sort of been "coasting" lately, taking sobriety for granted. But I don't want to be back in the hell of bulimia again--that was the most horrible way to live. Right now it seems worse than living as a drunk.

Well, on through another day...I need to remember what's so GOOD about sobriety, and just work on not giving in to the eating problem at the same time. How? I have no freakin' idea.

-jane
Old 12-22-2005, 11:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

dear Jane,

Please don't start drinking again, if you've got the strength to stay sober you're doing okay. I know what you mean though, I do still drink but not like I used to, when I used to drink constantly my weight went down to under 7 stones. I do follow a relatively sensible though meagre diet but this once or twice a week of replacing a meal with a bottle of wine is sheer stupidity yet I still do it.
Good luck with both problems !
Old 12-22-2005, 12:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks, Estella!

And good luck to you, too.

Sorry my last post there was a cranky one. I was just feeling frustrated today, having a little pity party, really. When I calm down and think about it, I know I don't want to be buried in alcohol again. (But heaven forbid I ever gain weight!)

I know we can beat this stuff. Nobody ever guaranteed life would be easy, right? Even folks who aren't alcoholic (or anorexic, or whatever the condition) have plenty of troubles. It's all how we rise to the challenges.

You have a happy holiday, Estella! I'm glad you're around here.

--Jane

P.S. How much is a "stone"?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Jane !

Nice to be here and to find I'm not alone with the problems I have. Alcohol took over my life between the ages of 31 and 35, I have had a lot of 'relapses' since then including a few hospital admissions because my body just couldn't cope with all the alcohol after a sudden binge. I have never actually been diagnosed as bulimic or anorexic but I have dieted since I was 15, I'm now 42 ! I do still drink I'm afraid, I really wish I had that strength to totally abstain. At the moment what I do is a million times better than where I was ( not knowing whether it was morning or night, not eating for days on end, because I didn't want to waste the money on food). I'm also scared that if I totally stop drinking it'll make me crave alcohol and will make me binge again ! Vicious circle ! I had two kids late in life which I think have helped me ! I had to stop drinking when I was pregnant and managed to, and now I have to be there 24/7 to care for them. They're only 7 and 2.
I worry that not drinking may also lead to 'rewarding myself' with food instead. I will drink a bottle of white wine tonight mixed with lemonade to try to lessen the impact and I'll try to really take my time with it. Thing is something in my head is telling me how many calories there are in a bottle of wine and I know I won't be able to eat anything. part of me says that is stupid, part says, 'clever girl, you didn't eat your evening meal'.
Don't worry about feeling cranky ! if you need to get it off your chest I'll listen ! Hope you and yours all have a great Christmas and New year too !
By the way a stone is fourteen pounds ! please don't ask me to convert into kilos ! Regards ! Estella x
Old 12-22-2005, 04:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I read somewhere that mineral deficiencies are linked to overeating and alcoholism. The overeating is caused by the body needing the minerals, they are not in junk food, but the body gets used to the reactions caused by these foods and craves both the bad stuff and the needed minerals, hence people eat more. Don't remember how it was supposed to tie in with alcohol, it was a long time back. But there was a definite mention.

I definitely believe that we are what we eat and diet has a huge impact on our chemical make up and addictions. Exercise is a healthy option too, helps digestion and blood circulation.

A healthy appetite is a good thing, look at the foods eaten. Breads, pastas, cakes, biscuits and other processed carbs are not good foods. Stick with fresh natural foods, vegies, salad, fruit, dairy, meats and lots of water. I don't worry about how much I eat anymore, I worked on what I was putting in my mouth. And yogurt, yogurt, yogurt .... good bacteria helps everything come good.

Play safe
Old 12-22-2005, 11:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes Brigid, you are right, we are what we eat. There are now theories which make sense regarding high carb foods and their effects on blood sugar. I do for the most part follow a low glycemic load diet. That is concentrating on low glycemic vegetables, fruit, good quality proteins. I do this to keep my weight in control and to prevent food cravings, but there are possible links to alcohol cravings too ! I know I don't sound very sensible but part of my brain does know what is good for me, I just don't listen to it all the time !
If anyone is interested I can give you a couple of good links to GL/Gi diet sites.