Notices

Alternate recovery

Old 05-08-2002, 10:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Paused

Nice post Nico I mean the one about how you start your day and such. Glad your still aboard. You work a better 11th step than I do, or probably ever will, and you don't even know what the 11th step is I'l bet. Keep posting Jerry

PS to Jimmyk... The only people trying to tear down AA are the irrational recovery people. they have a web site, but somehow I think you already know that.

[This message has been edited by Jerry (edited May 09, 2002).]
Old 05-09-2002, 08:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i know AA works if you work it! I"m on day 2 now and without meetings i'd be drunk. i think anybody that tells me bad things about AA is trying to ruin my sobriety. no thanks!
Old 05-14-2002, 10:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just found this board today. I found your post to be very informative nico, adn didn't see any recovery-method-bashing at all. Addictive Voice Recognition Training, AVRT is the technique taught by Rational Recovery. Its true that Jack Trimpey, the founder of RR absolutely hates AA. He has some valid points about AA, ans also just a lot of off the wall beliefs about AA.

By the way, he is also against SMART Recovery and claims it won't work for addiction. He co-founded SMART and parted ways when he wanted to change its focus to for-profit addiction help. SMART Recovery remains a non-profot organization.

AVRT has helped many people and so if posting info about it here, helps even one person I think its worth it. I sort of use AVRT at times and even people in AA use it. How many times have you heard people say "my disease is talking to me"?

Loco
Old 05-14-2002, 02:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Red face

I've put together 7 days sober now! Thanks to all of you on this board that helped me to get my feet back under me. I'm embarrased by all the spelling mistakes in my posts over the last week. Sorry! I guess my brain has been a little fried by all the vodka and beer. I'll try to do better.
jimmyk
Old 06-13-2002, 06:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Looking For Facts and Stats

I am not "affiliated" with any concept or organization. I am simply looking for answers.

I have been abstinent now for almost two years, through will and carefully preconvceived goals of my own. Over this time I have often surfed around looking for support, or better yet, data.

I have been told that just because I am sober I am not recovered, and cannot accept this without some facts.

I want to apply the scientific method to this process. In my readings about addiciton, recovery, and treatment I constantly see statistics referred to, but not specifically.

Are there any real stats out there? A verifiable source of research about recovery levels? A scientific study?

Any sources are welcome, I appreciate the chance to ask my questions.