Notices

Life isn't all that fun without the drink

Old 07-30-2002, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fadedwaste

Thumbs down Life isn't all that fun without the drink

Well, well...sober as a joke...four days...sucks. I'm having no fun, feel really depressed, down in life, worse than I did when I was drinking. When will this feeling go away...ever? I want sobriety really bad but not if it feels like this ya know? The outpatient program that I am in has put me on Lithium and Klonopin for the depression and anxiety but as far as I'm concerned they ain't helping all that great. I just wanted a little info on when these feelings will end and how to go about it. Thanks a lot...

Old 07-30-2002, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Time..give it time!

I am not saying you don't feel bad, I remember what it felt like when I stopped using. but it is your disease telling that life is no fun..you need time.

My best day using has never been as good as my worst day clean!!! That is the truth and by the grace of God I will have 7 years clean next month I used for something like 15 years!!!.

Hang in there, stick with your program and meetings!!
Old 07-31-2002, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fadedwaste,

I hope this post finds you feeling better, but I'm confused about your posts. You've posted several times about how sick you feel with your detox, and the meds the Dr., has prescribed for you. I was just curious if your having a hard time with detox, go back to using, and then stop again for a few days, then start again.

I'm not sure where you live, but is it possible for you to do an in-patient detox program? If your having a difficult time sticking to your detox, it would be better if you could be in a more structured environment.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Good Morning, FadedWaste! Good to see you made it one more day!!

Hope you are feeling better this morning. Four days! Wow. Right into the thick of things. Sure you feel awful. I don't know any "real" alcoholic/addict who didn't early on. Our whole body aches and our mind tells us that we'd feel much better if we had a drink or a drug.

Sounds like to me your doctors think you'd feel better too, if you had a drug.

Actually, it kinda concerns me that they don't want you to "feel" and are supplying you with drugs that simulate alcohol. Did you say you were in a detox unit still?? Or are you outpatient. I'm confused. Perhaps we don't know the whole story???

Duh! <GRIN>

It will pass. Some days will be better than others. But, it will pass. One day, if you make it, you'll wake up and feel good. I promise.

<GRIN>

Seriously, take it one day at a time, one moment at a time. If the missery doesn't begin to get less, then you can always go back and drink and drug for real.

In the meantime, give yourself a break. Find stuff to do besides sitting around thinking about how badly you feel. Of course you feel bad. Hell, who wouldn't. Didn't you say you'd done this before. What's changed? Hang over's are not fun. Cravings are not fun. Obsessing about that drink/drug is hell. What's new? Duh!!!!

Hit some meetings and get ahold of the book "Living Sober". I suggest that to all newcomers. It worked for me. It's got some great beginning suggestions in it, simple reading and short chapters about various things to do to get through the early stages. Good foundation. And hope you've got a good sponsor.

Hugs and good luck.

Jon
Old 07-31-2002, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi fade, Glad to see that you're still with us. Four days... congrats. Things do feel rotten at four days. I can pretty much guarantee that it WILL get better if you don't do anything to make it worse. I have been where you are (more than once unfortunately) and I know that it always was pretty bad, but it didn't stay that way. This time I have fourteen days and I feel human again. Finally. A few days ago I questioned if it was worth it. Inside me I knew it was though, and I think you do too. That's why you're still trying. Hey, if using was soooo much fun, why do so many people (yourself included) try so hard to get clean? Just give yourself time. Try to find some fun things to do sober. Spend time with your daughter, go for coffee with friends from aa, read or watch tv. The fun stuff isn't going to jump up at you, you have to find it. The depression will lift when you 'get out of your self' It's not easy, but it will get better. Time table to feel better, maybe someone else really knows that one, but I've always heard 7 days to 2 weeks and it's been true for me anyway. Don't give up five minutes before the miracle, okay? go to lots of meetings, keep coming back here too, and don't pick up, no matter what. It'll be okay. (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))