Notices

been thinking about quitting..

Old 01-16-2005, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

been thinking about quitting..

for several years. basically, the usual problems i'm sure many here have encountered...as well as some legal issues a few years ago (driving). i have cut back a lot compared to my 20's, but still drink more than most of my friends. i mainly drink beer and have recently been having some minor chest pain as well as anxiety. i'm in early 30's and relatively good physical condition so it's got me wondering? anybody encountered chest pain..sometimes lingering throughout the day? i don't think its a heart attack, but it obviously can't be good . anyway, i'm single so there's nobody to keep me in check...i tell myself everyday i'm not gonna drink, but end up doing it anyway. i just need to stop. thanks for any insights!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Stu
Hi and welcome! best bet is to check this out with your doctor. I am also in my early thirties and I just realised enough was enough. I have found AA to be a lifesaver, not only have I discovered a better way of life, I have tools I can use that go beyond 'not drinking' I would suggest a) go to doctor and b) check out an AA meeting and c) read as many posts here as possible...c) is what helped me to realise that I was an alcoholic and what a relief/release that was for me.
Good luck!
Cathy31
x
Old 01-16-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I bite.

Hi Stu -

I had one chest pain but it was short (but intense!). My Dr. said it was most likely related to anxiety.

Keep posting!
Old 01-16-2005, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Brightt Eyess

Hi stu...Its good you found this site,keep posting!..You mentioned youre single so theres nobody to keep you in check..Well,what I have been learning recently is that YOU & ONLY YOU can keep yourself in check.You dont need anyone else to do it for you.You have to learn to be strong enough to keep yourself in line w/out expecting anyone else to.

Sorry for preaching,Trust me I know how it is - all my life I have depended on ppl to keep me safe,but I have had a reality check recently & thankx to some ppl Im starting to see things differently! Good to have you here,stay safe
Old 01-16-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the welcome..

yeah, i blame my Irish ancestors Cathy . joking aside, my father and irish grandfather were pretty heavy drinkers. i hear it's hereditary, but not sure i buy that entirely. anyway, i may check w/ a doc as you two suggest..couldn't hurt. i do know i don't have the pain or any anxiety if i haven't been drinking. i did have one fairly intense episode Grimnar about 3 years ago (panic attack) and went to ER...basically doc said stress as I checked out fine..scary though. it was during the holidays and i'd been drinking pretty heavy the days prior to that. i do know i'm an alcoholic but not real comfortable going to an AA-style meeting yet. so, i'll start here. oh well, hopefully talk to you guys/gals later. thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Stu

I know what you mean re ancestors!O actually do believe it's genetically passed on in some way - the propensity at least. It's just that all the alcoholics I know have it in their family, and all the normal drinkers, come from normal drinking homes. Not to say there aren't any exceptions out there, I just haven't come across them!

When I first started coming here last year, I too wasn't ready for AA. These boards and these amazing people have helped me so much. Now AA is a central part of my recovery and my life. This is a great place to start - wherever it leads you!

Good luck, and keep coming back!

Cathy31
x
Old 01-17-2005, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you haven't read: UNDER THE INFLUENCE BY James Milam, I highly recommend it! Easy to read and answers alot of questions! JMT Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Stu

Yup, a lot of chest pain in my drinking days. Beer/alcohol/whatever kicks the crap out of your heart! I was a heavy beer drinker like you. But it's not so much how many beers you drank, it's where it took you. I did not like what I was becoming, so I got sober.

I am coming up on 3 months sober, It's taken me a year to string this many days together, but does not have to. AA is working for me, now that I am working the program!

Keep coming back here and posting, but don't make any bones about it -- get to your doctor immediately for a check up!

Just for today...

Ken
Old 01-17-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Brightt Eyess

I believe its in the genes.I think were "doomed" even before we are born Unfortunatly for me,Half my family were alcoholics/addicts.I also have my nationality against me.Im Irish,German & Scottish...Talk about a bad alcoholic mix!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lol Beer And A Whiskey Chaser Right
Old 01-17-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

same genes and more...

Irish, Scottish, German, Native American... :beerchug:

But it's really not about my drinking, it's about my living and my thinking...
Old 01-17-2005, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep!

But it's really not about my drinking, it's about my living and my thinking...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, Ken!! Good point!!

You're doing so great, I am delighted for you, 3 months is awesome. You're a great example...I still remember when you weren't 100% convinced...what a change! Good for you! I'm on 2 weeks, but confident, really working the program, happy busy, thinking, living.

So nice to hear about your great progress.

Cathy31
x
Old 01-17-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, stu,
Another book that many people have gotten good info from is Sober For Good, by Anne Fletcher.
If you want to check out some of the alternatives to AA, or are curious how the different recovery groups compare, here's a useful link:
http://www.rrci.net/recovery_spectrum.htm

There are online meetings available through this forum, and at various of the recovery groups on that link as well.

Forums are very useful, meetings can be very helpful. But you don't have to go to any of those in order to quit drinking. You just need to make a firm commitment to abstinence and make some changes in your life to help keep that commitment. Sounds as though a change in your daily routine would be the place to start.

Check with your doctor, but it sure sounds to me as though you're having panic attacks and anxiety. Mine went away when I quit drinking.

Don S