Notices

a disturbing dream

Old 07-24-2002, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

a disturbing dream

saturday I had a dream about being at some type of banquet or buffet...and there were these small bottles of alchohol along with all the other foods and goodies. in the dream i just grabbed one or two of my favorite liquors and drank them before I realized I couldn't do that anymore...that I had blown my sobriety....again...there was this awful, awful feeling of guilt and I remember waking up and being so dismayed that I had drank again...until I realized I had dreamed it. i was so relieved that it was a dream because the feeling was terrible...it's weird...there is still this sense of edginess that reminds me of my dream.
has anyone else had this experience? the weird thing is saturday was my 2 months of sobriety.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile

Good morning!!!

My experience is that yes, it happens to about everyone I know in recovery. The dreams for most, and for me, get fewer and further between and much much less intense. Eventually, mine got to where I would refuse alcohol in my dream. I haven't had a "drunk dream" in a long time now. But, they can be very disconcerting, I agree, even after all this time.

You'll hear about as many "reasons" and "interpretations" about these dreams as there are people in AA. But, for me the bottom line was one my sponsor said upon my question. He said, "hey, people dream!" And after I stopped worrying about it, the dreams stopped bothering me and it was about that time that I stopped having them.

I remember the sheer horror though, when I had my first one and woke up . . . it was a nightmare for a few seconds until I realized it was only a dream and that I really wasn't drunk. Then the overwhelming relief that followed was joyful! I remember going to my morning meeting that day and asking about the experience. Without exception, everyone in the room had had the experience. And as I recall, most of the "old timers" agreed with my sponsor that it served no particularly useful function to try to analyze it.

So, my suggestion is not to worry. Focus on the gratitude that the dream is only a dream and that you are, indeed, sober today.

Huge hugs.

Jon
Old 07-28-2002, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi

I've had this type of dream often in the 12+ months I've been sober. At first I used to feel awful next morning, full of guilt and remorse just as I always was "the morning after". Recently though I've been able to look on it positivly, as a reminder of what awaits me if I start drinking again.

Michael
Old 07-28-2002, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello,

Yup, drinking dreams can be scary. But what better way to
know what a relapse would be like, without having one. I too
began to look at them as a friendly reminder of what could have been but wasn't. They do go away after awhile. And they are just dreams.

Good thoughts Today!
Vince
Old 07-28-2002, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

i talked with a friend about it who seemed to think it was normal. i'm thinking not for me. it still disturbs me now a week later. I know its a reminder and all that just for some reason its really giving me the creeps.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

I have had drinking dreams that are so real, I have awakened, cupped my hand to my mouth and smelled my breath to make sure the dreams weren't real. They weren't. But they sure scare me, too!!
Old 07-29-2002, 11:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

I was so devastated when I woke. Still over a week later I get the shakes & chills....I know, I'll get over it soon enough. And true it was just a dream. I haven't had a dream have such a powerful effect on me in a long time.