Notices

Life Insurance question

Old 07-16-2002, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
friend123

Life Insurance question

I have a friend that has a question related to checking into a recovery center - Milam/Lakeside to be exact. Some years back a family friend of mine checked into a center like this one and since then it has been on his medical records and he has not been able to sign up for life insurance. - He is denied coverage after applying. Is there a center out there that would not put it on ones medical records? I know someone out there knows the answer to this question. This would have to be someone that has obtained life insurance SINCE after checking into a clinic.

Old 07-16-2002, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Lightbulb

Interesting question...

It is my experience that the release of confidential information regarding indentification / diagnosis / treatment pertaining to alcoholism, drug addiction, and HIV are protected under federal law. CFR 42 to be exact.

I am familiar with "Release of Confidentiality" forms that ask if the patient/client authorizes release of this information. Usually the patient/client must sign and initial this release of information. The Care Provider cannot withhold care should the patient/client refuse to grant this permission.

These forms are all part of the "Intake Process".

I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of the law.

Now you have my curiosity up... I am going to check into this more...
Old 07-26-2002, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Friend123,

You ask a very good question. It is my understanding
that if a submission for payment is given to the Health Insurance Co. this becomes a part of your or his medical records. Which are accessable by insurance companies. Just as your drivers license is
a matter of record for govt. agencys. In my case I went thru treatment in 74 had a heck of a time switching health coverage and getting life insurance for ten years. I could get it but the rating cost was huge!!! There are varabiles here though, with an HMO? Prvivate insurance, Corporate insurance that has a underwriting deductable (where the company actually pays for the treatment). Also laws on this matter, who can see the files
and what they can do with the info can vary by state. Call the insurance commision office of your state for that info. Hope this helps a little.

Good thoughts today.