Notices

Today I Begin

Old 12-27-2004, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Iron Chef

Today I Begin

Wow, giving up the alcohol is so much different than quitting smoking. I wonder if anyone else has gone through what I'm feeling right now.

Basically, I'm having a hard time building up the motivation, I think a very big part of me doesn't want to stop. But intellectually speaking, I know I have a problem, and I do really want this. I just can't seem to convince the rest of me.

The negative effects of Smoking are something you see and feel all day every day, alcohol for me is much more subtle and intermittent. But it's every bit as bad in its own way.

I think another factor working against me is the fact that I still have to work on the no-smoking b/c I'm only about 3 weeks into that quit. My mind may be a little overworked right now.

A new year is around the corner, and I plan on being sober and celebrating for the first time in 7(?) years. Cheers.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zamphir66

Basically, I'm having a hard time building up the motivation, I think a very big part of me doesn't want to stop.
I can relate! I know its tough. Motivation and willpower alone did not work for long. Because as you said, deep down, I really did not want to quit. It took life getting pretty out of control to convince me it was time to stop. I now go to regular face to face AA meetings and try to work the steps of the program. I need to work my recovery program in order to keep myself in line today. If I let up, I can once again lose the motivation, and possibly slip back to drinking.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Zamphir66, please read my posts if you have not done so "My Withdrawal Symptoms". I finally decided to quit because of a very embarassing situation I caused in front of my wife in a restaurant. That was the end of the line for me. You must have the desire to become a different person...a person that does not drink Alcohol. The withdrawals alone makes me afraid to ever touch the crap again. Plus, my wife and I communicate like we've never done before. It's amazing to have learned some things I never knew about her in such a short period of time, and I'm learning more everyday, and we've been married for almost 15 years. What a waste of valuable time.

NOTE: My Doctor actually told me that now is NOT the best time to give up smoking. You may want to give that some thought.

Bookie12
Old 12-28-2004, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Welcome Zamphir. Glad you're here.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
new life

Zamphir66 Welcome! Yes smoking is a differant quit, its harder on a short term basis. I gave up 2pk day habit about 6 months b4 the booze, after 30-40 days I was feeling good about finally quiting smoking (25+yrs). Your 3week quit is most likely still trying at times but hang in there, another 3 weeks will makes all the differance in the world !
TC mikee
Old 12-28-2004, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

I think a very big part of me doesn't want to stop . . . I know I have a problem, and I do really want this . . . I just can't seem to convince the rest of me.
zamphir66
Zamphir,

Glad you're here.

I think most of us experienced exactly what you are experiencing. It takes an "epiphany" or a big loud "ah ha!" moment.

Unfortunatley, only you can come to that conclusion, and boy is it a hard conclusion to come to. My body wanted me to quit for quite while. But it sure took a long time for a very small, but powerful part of my mind to get convinced. Now and then, it still fights and wins a temporary battle. But, when the day finally came, it was like "Egad! why didn't I see this sooner?"

Good luck,

Toivo
Old 01-01-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Iron Chef

Somebody shoot me.

If last night doesn't convince my ass to stop then nothing will.
Yes I screwed up. I didn't even feel guilty about it until this morning, when I remembered some of the things I did. Jesus Hippity-Hop Smith do I need help!

I've read that alcohol deadens the 'punishment center' in the brain, making bad things seem not so bad. That's part of what makes this so hard to do, but it's not impossible I know.

I believe I've had my epiphany.