Notices

Sobriety and Dealing with Loss

Old 12-13-2022, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Sobriety and Dealing with Loss

** This may trigger, if death is a problem, probably should not read **

Just two days ago, I held my mom's hand as she took her last breath. I am numb. I feel such a range of emotion it is indescribable. It was not expected, I was the one who found her and called 911. I saw her the day before and she was ok. My last words to her were "I love you and I will see you tomorrow". Spent the next day at the hospital with my brother and son, with no hope of regained brain activity, the decision to end life support was made, it was what she wanted, she always told us not to keep her alive on a machine. I can't remember when I cried that much (still crying). I can't help but think, what if I was not sober? How long would she have been on the floor? I would not have been there to help her in the last years. I would never have been able to let her go with peace and dignity. I would have left my brother to deal with the loss alone. Right now, I am so very sad, I miss my mom so much. I am confused, scared, unsure of the future. Most of all, I am sober and will stay that way. There is nothing in this scenario that wouldn't be 1,000 times worse if I was drinking. If you are reading this and are the praying type, my family could use some.

Thanks, Cathy
Old 12-13-2022, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am very sorry for your loss Cathy.

D
Old 12-13-2022, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Oh Cathy, I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. I will pray for peace of mind for you and your family.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Cathy, my heart goes out to you and your brother, and any other family affected by your great loss.

What a gift your sobriety is to your Mom, and your family. I’m grateful you got to be with your mom in those last few moments. I was with mine too, and it is such a wonderful blessing. So many don’t get the chance to say how much they love another, or the “Im sorry”.

Thank you for sharing this vulnerable part of you with us, your sober family.

Big hugs and prayers,

L

♥️🙏🏼
Old 12-14-2022, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cathy, I am so very sorry. May you find comfort in the arms of your family and friends.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's such a bizarre and uneasy feeling when we lose one of our parents. I'm very happy for you that you were beside your momma Cathy.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SRH

Very sorry for your loss.

You will miss her. But you did everything you could. Sober. No regrets.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cathy,

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm thankful that you will remain sober.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost both of my parents within a year of each other. My mom passed 2 years ago. My dad, last year. I went through a huge range of emotions.

Here's what I did. Let yourself feel it. Don't try to bottle it or push it away. Talk about it as much as you need to and be extra kind to yourself. (that one is very important)

Most importantly....You honor your loved ones by living productively and living as they would have wanted you to live. To laugh and love and not to hurt yourself with destructive behavior. I honor my parents by being the kind of man I was, am, and they knew at my best, in sobriety. That's what I owe them, and myself. The rest just takes time.
I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Hugs,
Jeff

Old 12-17-2022, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
Hi Cathy,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost both of my parents within a year of each other. My mom passed 2 years ago. My dad, last year. I went through a huge range of emotions.

Here's what I did. Let yourself feel it. Don't try to bottle it or push it away. Talk about it as much as you need to and be extra kind to yourself. (that one is very important)

Most importantly....You honor your loved ones by living productively and living as they would have wanted you to live. To laugh and love and not to hurt yourself with destructive behavior. I honor my parents by being the kind of man I was, am, and they knew at my best, in sobriety. That's what I owe them, and myself. The rest just takes time.
I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Hugs,
Jeff
I can't tell you how much I needed to read that today, thank you so much.

Cathy
Old 12-17-2022, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Thank you everyone for your kindness and support through this difficult time.