Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Chickens have come home to roost, or so it seems.

Notices

Old 12-09-2022, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The last time I visited here was in 2014. Back then I was 35 years old and my alcoholism was a problem, but not enough for me to quit. Fastforward 14 years, I've gained over 30 pounds, asthma, a bad knee, vitamin D deficiency, esophagitis, gastritis, and iron deficiency due to rectal bleeding.

About two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night having breathing difficulties. Ended up in the E.R and they thought it was a panic attack after having done blood samples and EKG. I guess I should have told them about the occasional pain in the liver area, but it didn't occur to me. In any case, everything has been worse since that night. It sometimes sting in the liver area when I put my socks on in the morning, I sometimes wake up at night with pains. I eventually told this to my doctor and ended up having another EKG but also ultrasound, and it turns out I got a bad case of fatty liver disease and I'm due for a CT scan of the liver in the middle of January. I stopped drinking on the 14th of november, but had 4 Coronas today. I had put on my shoes and was on my way to the store to get more, but realised it was a bad idea so I ended up staying home.

Emotionally I feel the same, but physically I feel awful. To be honest, a part of me is hoping this is the end of the road and that it all ends quickly. When I draw breath it still feels like I cant get enough oxygen and that really sucks. So if you are young and reading this, or older and just realised that you have a drinking problem, please consider quitting before you end up with health issues like me. Its not fun. I've been strong and fit all my life, and now all of a sudden its like my body is quitting on me. Pain in more than one place, every day. 24/7. Appreciate advice from any old timers who been through similar things.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your blood pressure is likely high too.That may explain the other difficulties. As I got older too I realized that my weekend binge drinking has taken its toll on my health too. Became more sensitive to hangovers, withdrawals, and symptoms got more intense. Also noticed that recovery times took longer.

Once youve quit for good, you will feel better, in spite of all the damage that was done. The longer you abstain, the better it gets, and the more your body begins to heal.

Hang in therekeep posting here and let us know how things are in your recovery.

Intro
Old 12-10-2022, 01:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I am on blood pressure medication. Wish there was a magic pill that fixed everything. But I guess the uncomfort will also serve as a lesson.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back twelvecans

It sounds like your drinking is about to lead you into even more dark and murky waters.
The smart money is one putting the booze down and taking drinking off the table as a viable option.

After drinking for many years, few of us know instinctively how to live a sober life but we can learn - there's a lot of support and experience here to help you work it out

I'm glad you made it back,
D

Old 12-10-2022, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you, Twelve.
I waited too long to quit. I was older than you , & ended up doing needless damage. I hope you'll stop now. You'll be saving yourself from so much misery.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You'd be surprised how resilient the human body is. Don't drink, get your tests and then go from there. We are all pulling for you!
Old 12-10-2022, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I look forward to enjoying a sober recovery with all of you.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stopping is really the best thing you can do. Your body will start to heal. . Remember you are not alone, we have all experienced some of what you are going through. It can be done.

Great to have you here.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twelvecans View Post
The last time I visited here was in 2014. Back then I was 35 years old and my alcoholism was a problem, but not enough for me to quit. Fastforward 14 years, I've gained over 30 pounds, asthma, a bad knee, vitamin D deficiency, esophagitis, gastritis, and iron deficiency due to rectal bleeding.

About two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night having breathing difficulties. Ended up in the E.R and they thought it was a panic attack after having done blood samples and EKG. I guess I should have told them about the occasional pain in the liver area, but it didn't occur to me. In any case, everything has been worse since that night. It sometimes sting in the liver area when I put my socks on in the morning, I sometimes wake up at night with pains. I eventually told this to my doctor and ended up having another EKG but also ultrasound, and it turns out I got a bad case of fatty liver disease and I'm due for a CT scan of the liver in the middle of January. I stopped drinking on the 14th of november, but had 4 Coronas today. I had put on my shoes and was on my way to the store to get more, but realised it was a bad idea so I ended up staying home.

Emotionally I feel the same, but physically I feel awful. To be honest, a part of me is hoping this is the end of the road and that it all ends quickly. When I draw breath it still feels like I cant get enough oxygen and that really sucks. So if you are young and reading this, or older and just realised that you have a drinking problem, please consider quitting before you end up with health issues like me. Its not fun. I've been strong and fit all my life, and now all of a sudden its like my body is quitting on me. Pain in more than one place, every day. 24/7. Appreciate advice from any old timers who been through similar things.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
I am right there with you bro. I've quit yet again, I am 54 and have been a vodka drinker for 20 years. I quit more times than I can remember, always went back. Well now that I am 54, I finally got the dreaded achy liver. Actually I am surprised it took this long. I feel awful mentally mainly because I have a young son and I could be robbing him of his Dad when he gets into his 20s.

I have not gone to a doctor yet, I did get blood work done in 2020, and all was well, but I was told my liver enzymes were higher than normal. I am sure they are way too high now. I'll get to the doctor in January for an exam, but everything I have read is its the same, quit drinking and hope the liver repairs itself. Quite certain its Alcoholic Hepatitis in my case. Good thing is I recently got away from my withdraws which were awful. The anxiety and sweats were terrible at night.

Getting back to the liver pain, I am right there with you, just like a smoker damages their lungs we damaged our liver. The good thing is as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the body and liver are resilient and can repair itself if we just give it the opportunity to do so! Good luck to both of us.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR treble
Old 12-12-2022, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by treble;[url=tel:7882354
7882354]I am right there with you bro. I've quit yet again, I am 54 and have been a vodka drinker for 20 years. I quit more times than I can remember, always went back. Well now that I am 54, I finally got the dreaded achy liver. Actually I am surprised it took this long. I feel awful mentally mainly because I have a young son and I could be robbing him of his Dad when he gets into his 20s.
We can do this, brother!

edit: and thank you dustyfox
Old 12-28-2022, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The liver is a remarkable thing...
Old 12-28-2022, 03:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going twelvecans?

D
Old 12-29-2022, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm a bad role model, but you should take my advice on this. Quit now for good and do not wait until you are 60 like I did. Then all of the problems you are describing that are happening to you with your health, will be much worse.

Also, don't do it cold turkey. Even if you have already did it cold turkey, get some medical help because PAWS can hit you hard weeks or months after you think you are in the clear. For me, quitting cold turkey, acute withdrawal symptoms were nothing. But PAWS almost killed me a couple or months later. I am still not out of the woods, I think, after 7 months.

Old 01-08-2023, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hows it going twelvecans?

D
Still sober, but this very moment Im lying down in bed and Im having a hard time. Feels like my liver or stomach wants to burst out of my torso. Other than that Im doing fine, thanks for asking
Old 01-08-2023, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

That doesn't sound like fun. Are you considering seeing a doctor?

D
Old 01-09-2023, 03:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That doesn't sound like fun. Are you considering seeing a doctor?

D
I got CT on the 19th. Might see my doctor sooner, Im going to wait and see if I get better first.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just curious, how often were you drinking and how much and for how long ?

You said you didnt think you had an issue earlier but now you are at this stage, just wondering if you increased your intake or frquency ?