Notices

Why 'not drinking'?

Old 11-17-2001, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Why 'not drinking'?

We members of Alcoholic Anonymous see the answer to that question when we look honestly at our own past lives. Our experience clearly proves that any drinking at all leads to serious trouble for the alcoholic, or problem drinker. In the words of the American Medical Association:

Alcohol, aside from its addictive qualities, also psychological effect that modifies thinking and reasoning. One drink can change the thinking of an alcoholic so that he feels he can tolerate another, and then another, another....
The alcoholic can learn to completely control his disease, but the affliction cannot be cured so that he can return to alcohol without adverse consequences.

And we repeat: Somewhat to our surprise, staying sober turns out not to be the grim, wet-blanket experience we had expected! While we were drinking, a life without alcohol seemed like no life at all. But for most members of A.A., living sober is really living--a joyous experience. We much prefer it to troubles we had drinking.
Anyone can get sober. We have all done it lots of times. The trick is to stay and to live sober.

Just for Today-----I am Sober
Old 11-19-2001, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Virginia Beach

God I wish i had your strenght. I am here as someone who is still drinking but I cant imagine life without it. I do believe i will be sober one day in the near future, however, I have tooo much rebellion.....

Your words are very comforting....more than most everyone i have read. You must be a dear person in life...wish me luck and happiness always to you.

james

Old 11-28-2001, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ALONGTHEWAY2

I too have not been able to come to the place that you are at. I still drink every night. Every morning of course I say over and over that this night I won't drink, but always end up with a beer in my hand by 5:00. I think of the day that I will no longer have the problem of drinking. One day I wish to accomplish my drinking habit and quit.
I call it a habit because I don't have a lot of the problems that I have read about (i.e. losing my job-I make sure I am there every day, losing a spouse, the shakes, or what have you). In a sense I feel that I have mastered the hang over feeling.
I just think when I hear such positive things about life with out drinking, it seems great for everyone else, but it is impossible for me. Maybe I just haven't hit that "rock bottom" I have read so much about and that is why I always go back to the drink. I do say, life with out a hang over is always something to savor. The thought of always waking up feeling good sounds so great, but the night before was great too. So for now, I'm confused. That is why I will continue to read these postings, and maybe my day to not drink will come.
I have heard too many bad things about AA, and that is why along with fear of change, why I haven't attended a meeting.

Old 11-28-2001, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

alongtheway, welcome to the recovery forum. Whatever you have heard about Alcoholic Anonymous, you have been misinformed. All you have to do is have an open mind and go to listen and absorb whatever is being given away. It is free and the only yhing you need to join the club is a sincere desire to stop drinking. The table is set and themembers are awaiting you to come in. Give yourself a break, you can have what I have or anyone you know who is no longer drinking. Come join us

Just for Today--------I am Sober
Old 11-28-2001, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

HELLO ALL,
AMD I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF, YOUR WORDS OF WISDON REACH OUT FOR IMMEDIATER RESPONCE,I CANT REMAMBER EVER BEING THIS SERIOUS ABOUT BEING AND STAYING SOBER, I LACKED THE WILL POWERE UNTILL I GOT IT FROM MY HUSBAND AND SON, AND CLOSE FRIENDS I THINK WE ALL NEED A SUPPORT OF SORTS NOT JUST FROM ONE BUT FROM MANY AS MANY AS IT TAKE TO GO ONE THEN 2 THEN 3 DAYS WITHOUT DRINKING, I HAD THIS BUT DID NOT REALIZE IT UNTILL 101 DAYS AGO, I DO NOW AND THANK NOT ONLY YOU IN CIBER SPACE , BUT MY HUSBAND DANA AND MY SON JAMES, AND MY MOST OF ALL MY NEW ASSOCIATES THAT I HAVE FOUND IN THE 12 STEP PROGRAMS I ATTEND,
I FOUND STREIGHT, HONESTY, AND FRIENDSHIP I NERVER WOULD HAVE HAD IF I WERE STILL DRINKING," JUST FOR TODAY........I AM SOBER

------------------
Amazonjudy