Notices

I think I’ve officially hit rock bottom

Old 10-18-2022, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I’ve officially hit rock bottom

Been trying to avoid this but I think I finally hit rock bottom. I’ve managed to push away my only family member. I was court ordered to go to AA in the begging of the year and honestly I hated it. Now i feel so stupid, I managed to get in trouble again, not really sure. I was on my bike and hit a car as it was coming out the parking lot, they pulled up infront of me and I guess I thought they were going to stop. Anyways I bruised myself up really bad, Georgia counts intoxication on a bike as a dui. I did not know this. I’m really scared, I’m also getting kicked out. I just reached out to the only member from AA whose number I kept. I told him I was thinking of returning to aa and I wanted to give the 12 steps a try. I hope I didn’t sound insulting or too casual, I’m just not sure what to do. I’m sure I’m just panicking right now so it seems insincere but I really do want my life to be different. I would like to one day have a relationship with my family member again.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you posted YoungHyde31, it's been a long time since we heard from you. Not sure how DUI's work in Georgia, do you have a Lawyer?. What's happening that you are being kicked out?. AA could be a good move at the moment.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
I'm really glad you posted YoungHyde31, it's been a long time since we heard from you. Not sure how DUI's work in Georgia, do you have a Lawyer?. What's happening that you are being kicked out?. AA could be a good move at the moment.
I’m thinking about retaining some form of legal help. I’m staying with my mother, ofcoarse we argued over my drinking. I said some very harsh things to her, and hope to one day have a relationship with her again which is why I really want to give AA a chance. I feel so stupid thinking drinking would somehow improve my life.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It would be a good idea to get some legal advice, things may not be as bleak as you think. Drinking really doesn't improve our lives, or anyone around us, have you been able to stop yet?
Old 10-18-2022, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It would be a good idea to get some legal advice, things may not be as bleak as you think. Drinking really doesn't improve our lives, or anyone around us, have you been able to stop yet?
I have today, i think the breaking point was when I saw the pain I had caused my mother. I plan on getting to a meeting, I just have no way of getting there. I might ask my mother if I can take an Uber there.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good idea about going to AA, is you bike wrecked?
Old 10-18-2022, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good idea about going to AA, is you bike wrecked?
yes, it broke in 2 places.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi YoungHyde, AA participation is a perfect move on your part. Below is a link to Georgia AA with an online meeting link. Also AA big book online.
https://www.aageorgia.org/ https://aa-netherlands.org/big-book-online/

Keep posting here and use SR as a "recovery plan of action" to help you stay sober. Also, use "the 24-hour plan", don't drink for today. You can do this, but I must tell you it is going to take a lot of effort to make recovery work.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Update: Probation Officer has shown me mercy

Hello everyone, I wanted to post an update. Today was my check in day for probation, they make you check in by phone due to coivd-19. I was dreading this day because today was the day I had to report the Bike DUI citation. Had a nightmare about it an hour before to make matters worse. Was really scared of having my probation revoked and sent to jail for the remaining 3 months. One voice was even telling me not to say anything, but another was saying they might be somewhat merciful considering they mostly focus on car DUIs. I told the probation officer, I was terrified, he told me that sounded like a minor thing and that he wouldn't violate me. I feel i'm stuck in one of my withdrawal dreams.

I feel like i've been given a second chance because I honestly thought they were going to sent a warrant out for my arrest and lock me up. I finally can breathe easy a bit, I'm planning on catching up on school work, tomorrow i'm going to follow up and a job interview I had on Monday. I just felt like sharing the good news.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Really pleased for you YoungHyde, thanks for giving us an update.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fantastic update, YoungHyde. I strongly suggest you go to AA or work some sort of program. Right now you are feeling a strong sense of relief and all seems well, but if you are an alcoholic like me (and most on here) it will not take long for your AV to tell you "see, everything is fine, this wasn't such a problem after all.. how about just one?" and you might well be convinced. Believe me - we all need to work a regular program for sobriety. Whether daily SR posting, AA, SMART Recovery.. or something. Being grateful and feeling confident as a program for recovery never worked for me.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

YoungHyde - I'm so glad to hear this.
I had a dui & was so terrified through the whole nightmare. It was one of the reasons I found SR & admitted I could never risk going back to the drinking life.
Congrats - enjoy your freedom.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m very glad to read the update YoungHyde

D
Old 11-02-2022, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love that you sound so positive younghyde - it is great news!
Old 11-03-2022, 06:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You have a lot of work ahead of you, so please continue to be a part of this website everyday. AA and this website were two key ingredients in my getting sober many years ago.

Work on your sobriety, one day at a time. You can recover. And some day you may be one of the "veterans" on this site, sharing your experiences with newcomers, helping them to find sobriety.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Long story short, drinking makes me do drugs, finally I got caught and charged as a felony. Plus dwi for which I was technically under the limit but they charged me with that too!

Where is alcohol taking you anyway? Just leave it behind. I started off with 6 meetings per week. I found the literature fascinating and just completely opened up my mind to the program. This alcohol was taking me to not good places. I couldn't believe how fast the bulk of my anxiety was gone. Constantly having a meeting to go to, a place to be made it easier then I thought possible. I was 41 years old at the time (an active alcoholic since 14) when that cop pulled me over drunk and with (and on) drugs. Up to that moment I did not consider a life without alcohol possible for me.

My lawyer wanted me to get a slip of paper signed for every meeting I went to in the time leading up to court. The judge and prosecutor let me off with a pretty good deal. It may have been overkill but looking back that constant bombardment of meetings really helped like I never would've imagined.

I did so much laughing in those early days. Once you discuss the disease with other alcoholics its like OMG I can't believe how crazy our thoughts were!