Notices

Is it what you expected.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it what you expected.

Almost 2 years in and my question is whats next?
I've heard all the great stories on podcasts and read many online, the recovering, the new life, the new job.
Not that im not grateful for how i am today. I've had the weight loss, my fittness is way up, I'm sleeping better at night, its just lately i find myself wondering what happens next, i feel like i should be doing something more than i am but at a loss to what it is. Theres a yearning inside me to do something different. I just feel stuck☹

Old 10-03-2022, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have dreams of how we'd like our life to be...there's nothing wrong in starting to follow those dreams, if possible

For me, my life needed meaning and purpose. I found that in helping others.

What does your life need AL?

D
Old 10-03-2022, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, AL, first. CONGRATULATIONS on coming up to two years!🎉🪄🎊🪅🎁❤️🤓🎏🎁🎏🤓❤️🎉🪅🪄🎊🪄🎉❤️🤓🎏🎁🪅

Second, sad to hear you are feeling stuck. Mentally?

Getting into a gratitude habit daily has helped my mindset immensely.

Job wise?

I know you search here and there, I think perhaps keeping that up might bring about change you would enjoy.

i certainly, among many others, are enjoying your picture journal in the New Year Challenge thread.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thankyou. Those walks i take are the one time my mind is on a break 🙂. I didnt realise how loud it was going to get now that its not being blacked out abusing alcohol.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AL48 View Post
Almost 2 years in and my question is whats next?
I've heard all the great stories on podcasts and read many online, the recovering, the new life, the new job.
Not that im not grateful for how i am today. I've had the weight loss, my fittness is way up, I'm sleeping better at night, its just lately i find myself wondering what happens next, i feel like i should be doing something more than i am but at a loss to what it is. Theres a yearning inside me to do
something different. I just feel stuck☹
I tend to go through the same thing! But whatever is, “next” cannot be going back to drinking! I just make sure my alcoholic mind is kept in check! After that life just happens! Give it time! Believe me it will change! Going on 31 years of sobriety, my life has transformed to the point where it just blows my mind how far I’ve come and grown!

It’s easy to get caught up in the “more”! Like is this it? I want more! It’s called going through the cycle of life! Making a gratitude list and appreciating sobriety has certainly helped!
Old 10-04-2022, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I must start doing that UH, a few people have told me to start writing things down. I do sometimes feel angry at myself and talk myself down as i feel really lucky to be where i am. At lot of hard work went into it. I just cant seem to get this lump in my chest out of my body, its pure stress. I meditate regularly but tend to fall asleep after 5 minutes😅.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey AL sorry you are struggling a bit.
If my case is any example then it's fairly normal around 2 years.
That doesn't make it better I know but you are not alone.
You are most definitely doing The Work so it will come to you. I know it feels like that day will never come but it will.
Keep up the good fight man
Old 10-07-2022, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I get like that. I think of it as my minds way of prompting me to grow. You just made it past two years so it seems reasonable to ask "what's next". During my drinking days it seemed every day was the same. I never asked myself what was next.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by AL48 View Post
Thankyou. Those walks i take are the one time my mind is on a break 🙂. I didnt realise how loud it was going to get now that its not being blacked out abusing alcohol.
Felt this.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Al48, how about going on an adventure? Anytime I truly feel 'stuck' in life I go on an adventure. I find the more daring, bold, and fun the adventure is all the better! Try some sheer cliff climbing. It worked wonders for me back in the day when I was younger! Bungie jumping is cool.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
Better today but still feel i should be doing something else just cant put my finger on it.
I'm so busy with family stuff i don't know where i had the time to get drunk. Granted it was always late at night on my own when everyone else had gone to bed.
I know i need to push for change in myself and i need to sit back and be thankful for my getting this far too, like you said FK im putting the work in.
I read threads of those starting out and don't envy how hard it is for them, it is etched in my mind how hard it is at the beginning and won't go back to that it was just to depressing.
Zencat great ideas only I'm afraid of height 😅 i can just about go on a step ladder.