Notices

An appointment with now

Old 09-09-2022, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
All is Change

An appointment with now

It’s one thing being in prison. It’s another entirely to be in a prison of one’s own making and still another to be aware of that. How to be free?

An appointment with now :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=41&v=FDhn7e8MCWI&feature=youtu.be

Old 09-11-2022, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I have arrived, I am home.
In the here, in the now.
I am solid, I am free.
In the ultimate, I dwell.

Thanks, Grmyt!
Old 09-12-2022, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

Hello dear Obladi. It’s wonderful to hear from you. Thank you for the reply.

……..

Many decades ago I was introduced to the idea of now by reading ‘Be Here Now’ by Ram Dass yet it’s taken a long time to figure out the deeper meanings of it. I think One Day at a Time kind of points to it. And also ‘let go, let god’. All those pithy AA sayings that shouldn’t (as I sometimes do) be taken for granted.

Peace to you
Old 10-14-2022, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift
That's why we call it the present
Old 10-14-2022, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AAPJ, I love this one.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

It seems paradoxical that all the things, the pains, the miseries one spends a life escaping from are felt in the present while there is the claim that it is that being in the present one finds true serenity.

The reconciliation comes with the understanding that to actually, fully, be in the present one has to change ones relationship to the feelings. Instead of running away from them or wanting them to be different they are understood to not be ‘me’, ‘mine’ or ‘my self’. Instead they are ephemeral processes that come and go and the misery is dependent on how much one wants them to be otherwise.

Having come to such an understanding there is a general ‘letting go’ and there, in the now, is peace.

So, that can be an intellectual understanding which presents the mundane experiential paradox mentioned earlier. To make this understanding real, in the sense that a wisdom born of experience is necessary, in order to overcome what may be years of clinging to ‘not now’, retraining is needed. To just accept for a moment there is something to be in the present doesn’t overturn a lifetime of avoiding it. This is what mindfulness is all about.

Every moment of our lives we are breathing. This is a truth that is happening right now. So, understand the breath as a door to the present. If one is continually mindful of the breath then one is continually mindful of the present, albeit a simple little part of the totality of now. Yet that is a door to the totality. Which means it is a door to all that is to be let go of in order to be at peace.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nez

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
All is Change

‘At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.‘

Yes, and, may I add, ‘what is happening’ is a product of what did happen. Future moments are shaped by what happens now so what is done now is important.

Dwell on the past and the future will be one of dwelling on the past. Endless misery. Dwell in the present and the past is let go of and a future of letting go is shaped. Take care of now and the future is taken care of.

be happy and free
Old 10-16-2022, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
AAPJ, I love this one.
Sure. Can't take credit for it. I either heard someone say it at an AA meeting or I read it on a thread someone else posted here.

I am a repeat-o-matic.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
All is Change

On the subject of repetition.

One trained repeatedly to ignore the present and to swing from the past to the future. It didn’t happen to be so by some magical touch of a super natural being. It took repeated effort to become proficient at being ignorant and evasive with regards to the truth of now and it takes repetitious reminding and personal effort to develop the habit of being attentive to the present.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

At the point when you do let go, you've arrived
The trick is to remember to let go - over and over again