Notices

Have you had a Fibroscan?

Old 07-16-2022, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you had a Fibroscan?

Just curious about others’ experiences, as I am having one done on Wednesday. My doctor ordered the test because my liver enzymes went wonky after I had Covid. Really inflated ALT and AST.

From what I read, it sounds like the test is fast and easy. True?

How long did it take to get results? It’s being done at a different place from my gastroenterologist’s office but I’m hoping he’ll have info quickly.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have not but I wish you the best of luck. I would think that you could contact the testing clinic directly and find out what their turnaround time is for results.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had one, it's really easy. It's no different than an ultrasound really. It's just measuring the density of the scar tissue in the liver. My relults were back in less than 48 hours I think. But mine were done at my local hospital and sent to my gastro.

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Scott and BullDog.

Kind of anxious about this, but realize it’s the results and not the test that are weighing on me. Even when I was drinking, my ALT was never over 40 (mild elevation) and AST was never elevated. To see AST 114 and AST 84 after Covid was a big shock. My gastroenterologist said that Covid liver effects sometimes resolve after a couple of months—hope I’m one of those! And I hope I’ll hear within a couple of days.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not to mention that minor scarring can be reversed, and at worst, if you have cirrhosis, it's not a death sentence either. They're measuring it to keep an eye on it. The earlier they can catch things the earlier they can treat them.

I know you're scared, I was terrified. My results were inconclusive. My AST was mildly elevated, but my fibroscan showed normal ranges except that the ultrasound shows scarring. So they didn't really put much validity on it. Those tests often come back as unreliable.

Hang in there and know that if you start to feel sketchy, come here and share about it. We'll be a shoulder or an ear as long as you need it.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well the scan itself was a big nothing-burger, as my stepdaughter says about various things. The results will be sent to the doctor today; when he'll get to it I don't know. I did sse on the screen scores of 236 and 6.5.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Closing the loop on the Fibroscan, I'm relieved to say it's normal. This is consistent with a CT I had 6 months ago that was looking for a kidney stone but noted normal liver, gall bladder, etc.

Still waiting on blood work. Hopefully these two-months-post-Covid blood tests will have returned to normal.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome news
Old 08-02-2022, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So happy to hear that!