Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Anyone find it hard to trust even if person gave no reason not to trust?

Notices

Old 06-27-2022, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The reason I'm posting this here is because early in sobriety a friend of mine with much longer sober time than me said this is a common "symptom" of alcoholism...

In this case it was a significant other.

Basically not being able to trust even if the person has given ZERO reason not to trust.

It's honestly frustrating because I know there is no reason not to trust them, but I just don't and it's a lingering angst.

I've heard in alcoholism it's actually fear and not trust...

Curious if anyone here has this, because I'm curious if this is common with having this.

And then I'm curious how you overcome made it better!
Old 06-27-2022, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m not sure every alcoholic finds it hard to trust but for me alcoholism bred that weird kind of ego driven fear based insularity, for sure.

How do you get past it? You take a risk. You reject the idea that everyone else is out for themselves and not worthy of your trust. You accept that being hurt in the past is not a good enough reason to cut yourself off from others emotionally if you want to continue to grow as a human being.

Don’t get m3 wrong - there’s no directive to blindly trust everyone - but it would be sad I think to reject those who’ve done nothing to make you doubt their sincerity.

Be a person other people can trust as well. Like attracts like.

D