Notices

Disturbing situation at my house last night

Old 06-11-2022, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Disturbing situation at my house last night

Hello, I can't find a suitable forum to post this in and I just need to get if off my chest. This morning I woke up about 5:30 am to look at my phone, and saw a message from my ring doorbell camera. It shows a person, gender doesn't matter, extremely intoxicated from most likely heroin or meth. I'm just and old fashioned alcoholic, if you can call it that, and I have no experience with any other substances so I'm guessing it was narcotics. The person never rang the door bell so I didn't wake up. They were shivering and running around in circles in extreme distress in the video. I went outside this morning and found a bunch of their belongings dropped all over my porch. Debit card, ID and such, as well as drug paraphernalia. I did an online research and found their supposed address. I was just going to drop everything off and act like I didn't notice what was really there. Turns out that when I get to the address, it obvious the person doesn't live there anymore. I wasn't going to talk to them but just basically leave the bag of belongings discreetly. I never did, because there was a couple in the yard doing yard work and they were absolutely not the person or even the same ethnicity of the person on camera. So I went back home to do more research and can't find anything about this person. The ID looks real battered, and obviously the person no longer has a correct address on the ID. I know I should just let it go but this has disturbed me. Mostly because it reminds me of all the times I did things like that, dropping all my belongings and not knowing where I've been. It caused me a lot of stress for no reason, and I don't fell well today. I have no one to talk to and I just needed to vent. So if anything, this is yet another reminder to never go back to that life of drinking or whatever else you did in your life. It such a miserable existence and I pray that this person gets help. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow that is scary Tnman…I wonder if there is a lost and found it can be left at…perhaps the police department since you have a video? It was nice of you to attempt returning it to their previous address.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I called the police and since it has drug paraphernalia with it they dont' want to help. They almost acted like they would charge me with possession if I tried to give it to them. Kind of crazy if you ask me. Thanks for pitching in. Just needed to talk. It's been on my mind all day.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, that is crazy!
Old 06-11-2022, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so kind of you to be concerned for the person & to try & do the right thing. As you said, a reminder of where some of us have been - & how we must remain vigilant & never return to that sad & dangerous life. We were so vulnerable.

I'm glad you posted, tnman.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Totally agree with Hevyn, you are a decent person, plus I too have been in very similar situations. Could you leave it all in a bag outside, just in case they retrace their steps ?(something else I've frequently done)
Old 06-11-2022, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you've done all you can Tnman?

D
Old 06-11-2022, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm leaving everything in a plastic bag curbside, doubtful they rememeber where they've been but that's all I can do at this point. If they have some sense they will call the bank to cancel the debit card. I really want to be separated from this. I care too much, it affects my own well being.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
All is Change

Why not just put together things that might have value to someone, like id’s, and put the junk in the bin. Then drop the id’s etc at the police station. ?
Old 06-11-2022, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

Maybe try to drop stuff off at county/ behavioral health/alcohol and drug/ division. Or you could check with local hospitals to see if they have any recent admits with person's name.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Yes, I'm leaving everything in a plastic bag curbside, doubtful they rememeber where they've been but that's all I can do at this point. If they have some sense they will call the bank to cancel the debit card. I really want to be separated from this. I care too much, it affects my own well being.
Hope it all went well Tnman, you really went above and beyond, though can totally understand why it caused you stress.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Update, I didn't feel well all Sunday about this. It wasn't right to just put it by the curbside. I went out late at night fetch the bag and spent the rest of the night agonizing about what to do. My anxiety was sky high and I believe it's due to my own battles with addiction. I was heartbroken. So I went on a serious online search for clues about the residence and the address I had. I found social media accounts for the person and after much digging I lucked out and found references to the persons family. I got hold of the father online and now I was literrally debating out loud with myself. Should I contact him. How do I do this without sounding like I'm meddling. What if they get upset. I decided that I had nothing to be ashamed off and the worst that could happen was that they would just ignore me or tell me to go away. Much to my surprise they responded and was very glad to hear about my story and that I had their child's belongings. We set a time to meet this evening and the mother of the person as well as an adult child of the person showed up to meet me. I figured they wanted to know what happened and I told them everything and profusely told them how sorry I was. They took it in stride and was very grateful that I had the stuff and they said another sibling had contact with the person and was going to deliver the items. They also told me this has been a life long struggle for this person and they are an active drug user and they are worried sick but so far the person is refusing help. I have done what I can and I told them my story about alcohol and I think that put them at ease. I am finally rid of this emotional burden and I know most people probably would not have let it get to them like I did, but my heart breaks to see a person completely destroying their life. Thanks for listening to my rant. I'm one happy camper tonight.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What an amazing story, tnman. Often, doing the right thing is a lot of work, but it also is the best thing for us, not to mention the person we are trying to help.

I commend you for your actions and being a good person. The world needs more who care.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It would have gotten to me too, tnman. I would likely have done something similar to try and help.
By sharing your story & being empathetic (not judgmental) you probably helped the family more than you could know.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
All is Change

Old 06-14-2022, 06:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nez

Tnman, you done good! Very inspiring. Thank you.
When you do the right thing, you get the feeling of peace and serenity associated with it. Do it again and again. - ROY T. BENNETT
Old 06-17-2022, 11:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that. These days so good to see people go out of their way for someone else in need!
Old 06-19-2022, 04:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awesome job Tnman…definitely above and beyond!