Notices

Seizures

Old 03-07-2022, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seizures

My son is starting to have alcohol withdrawal seizures, they are very terrifying, can anyone relate?
Old 03-07-2022, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dee - welcome

While I’ve never had a seizure myself, I can imagine how terrifying the must be for you, and for your son.

Is he getting medical help?

D
Old 03-07-2022, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

My heart goes out to you Dee. I don't mean to scare you and heighten your concern and worries, but I believe you need to know the realities of the situation with no sugarcoating.

I have had one. It was terrifying, although I have absolutely no recollection of the whole thing. I can only imagine how terrifying it was for my wife who was with me with it happened. She, to my shame, has total recollection of the event. I eventually forgave myself, but I never want to forget the pain I caused her through my selfish actions of abusing alcohol in the first place.

She was accompanying me as I went for a walk to deal with the jitters of not drinking. She is a trained medical person, a registered E.R. nurse. There was no warning whatsoever. Out of the blue, down I went like a ton of bricks. I almost impaled myself through my eye socket on the pointed end of a picket on a wrought iron fence. If that wasn't frightening enough, the seizure itself could have been fatal without prompt medical attention, which because of the presence of my wife I received. An ambulance ride to the E.R. IVs in the arms, Drugs administered. An overnight stay in the hospital. Etc, etc.

Advice of medical people should be sought as a top priority. Ask about medications that might help with prevention or easing of the risk of seizures. Ask about taking vitamin B1 and dosage. Major time frame for occurrence is 6 - 48 hours (12 - 24 hours being the peak time) but can happen as late as 72 hours after last drink. Your son should be under constant 24 hour observation, even when sleeping.

Hopefully this frightening time will be his turning point. Stay strong Dee. We can get through this together.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Dee - welcome

While I’ve never had a seizure myself, I can imagine how terrifying the must be for you, and for your son.

Is he getting medical help?

D
Well yes they have him on meds but it's no guarantee he has been in treatment for 6 days but after a week he started drinking again because they just got him through the worst of the detox process but didn't work on the reason he drinks so he went back home and that's the place of sadness and heart break, him and his fiance of 5 years split up and he can't get over her so he continues to drink and we are working on getting him a fresh start thank you
Old 03-08-2022, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi

Originally Posted by nez View Post
My heart goes out to you Dee. I don't mean to scare you and heighten your concern and worries, but I believe you need to know the realities of the situation with no sugarcoating.

I have had one. It was terrifying, although I have absolutely no recollection of the whole thing. I can only imagine how terrifying it was for my wife who was with me with it happened. She, to my shame, has total recollection of the event. I eventually forgave myself, but I never want to forget the pain I caused her through my selfish actions of abusing alcohol in the first place.

She was accompanying me as I went for a walk to deal with the jitters of not drinking. She is a trained medical person, a registered E.R. nurse. There was no warning whatsoever. Out of the blue, down I went like a ton of bricks. I almost impaled myself through my eye socket on the pointed end of a picket on a wrought iron fence. If that wasn't frightening enough, the seizure itself could have been fatal without prompt medical attention, which because of the presence of my wife I received. An ambulance ride to the E.R. IVs in the arms, Drugs administered. An overnight stay in the hospital. Etc, etc.

Advice of medical people should be sought as a top priority. Ask about medications that might help with prevention or easing of the risk of seizures. Ask about taking vitamin B1 and dosage. Major time frame for occurrence is 6 - 48 hours (12 - 24 hours being the peak time) but can happen as late as 72 hours after last drink. Your son should be under constant 24 hour observation, even when sleeping.

Hopefully this frightening time will be his turning point. Stay strong Dee. We can get through this together.
Hi and omg thank God your wife was with you and your was a very bad one especially while standing, he has been in the sitting position when he has had them around me but we believe he has had a couple while at home, one Saturday after treatment he got up to go the bathroom and got dizzy and passed out and hit his face hard on the floor and bit his tongue which makes me think seizure thank you for your support
Old 03-08-2022, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee1967, if your son has an alcohol addiction problem then he needs to put forth the effort to end it. Your support is helpful and offers him a great advantage IF he is willing to do the work. It is ultimately up to your son to beat this.

I don’t want to sound cold, just don’t want you to take his behavior as a reflection on you. Have you posted on the Friends and Family forum? They have a lot of sage advice.

Hope your son sees his way through this and maybe he can join this forum as part of his journey. This place saved my life & I’m coming on 5 years alcohol-free.

Gool luck.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dee

I'm sorry that your son keeps drinking despite these incidents. I hope he will come to see how dangerous things are, like I did, and get into treatment or somehow otherwise stop.

Like others have said he needs to want to stop drinking - I wish there was an easier way for all the moms and dads out there tho.
Like someone suggested above we also have a Family and Friends forum - you'd be very welcome to post there as well

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
D
Old 03-09-2022, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by msl999 View Post
Dee1967, if your son has an alcohol addiction problem then he needs to put forth the effort to end it. Your support is helpful and offers him a great advantage IF he is willing to do the work. It is ultimately up to your son to beat this.

I don’t want to sound cold, just don’t want you to take his behavior as a reflection on you. Have you posted on the Friends and Family forum? They have a lot of sage advice.

Hope your son sees his way through this and maybe he can join this forum as part of his journey. This place saved my life & I’m coming on 5 years alcohol-free.

Gool luck.
Wow congratulations on 5 years I pray for this to bey son one day I know he can do it he just has to put forth the effort thank you for your response
Old 04-05-2022, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At hospital

I'm at the hospital now, as my alcoholic husband yelled out and there was banging in the room at home. I walked in and he was having a seizure on the floor. Very scary! 😥 He doesn't remember anything. I called emergency number and they came to the house. He was also disoriented. They are checking for brain trauma or other possible causes, but the assumption is that because he stopped drinking a few days ago, this happened. He actually had a drink he says, yesterday, so I don't know. He hides his drinking from me. It leaves you wondering, "will this happen again?" Why won't this person stop abusing his body? 😔
Old 04-05-2022, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you here Chrislig.
It must be a terrifying experience.

You will find support here tho - both in this forum and the Family and Friends forum too. Feel free to check out the Newcomers forum too

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
D
Old 04-05-2022, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Chrislig, how long have you been going through this with your husband?