Notices

alcoholic jokes

Old 03-15-2022, 11:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nez

Any time I spend mulling over insensitivity, is time spent being insensitive to my own well being.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I dunno-I have sort of a sick sense of humor. I probably would have said something right back to make him equally uncomfortable. At the end of the call just before everyone hung up I probably would have interjected "Keep coming back, It works if you work it". And then caught myself and said-"my bad, that's friday nights.

I bet he has a few DWIs and knows he drill.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
The work place can be cruel! I've got many years of sobriety and have grown older and work a 12 step program! Because of that I'm better able to just let things ride off my back at work! But there was a time I couldn't!

One guy and girl I used to work with were both heavy drinkers! There were times it was just the three of us in a warehouse as we were moving out of a warehouse into the new warehouse! Lots of moving things and all three of us working together! I told him and her I used to be a heavy drinker and quit drinking years ago! But I never mentioned I was an alcoholic or that I'm in AA!

They seemed to be amazed that I was a non-drinker but knew so much about drinking and alcoholism! I put it off as kind of being like the Riddler on Batman to see if they could figure it out! We were all friends and got along well so this worked out ok! One time the guy said something about his side by his liver! I joked that's alcoholism at its best! All three of us laughed! The girl had gotten a dui and was real nervous about probation and having to blow in a breathalyzer whenever she got called into probation! I told her all about probation for dui's! She wondered how I knew all about that! Even though I've been through dui's myself, I just told her I knew about that cause I know someone who went through that!

Like I said no harm done! We were all friends! I know how cruel the work place can be so that's why I didn't specifically tell anyone at work I was an alcoholic while giving clues to see if they could figure it out! They didn't! I eventually left the place for a better paying job!
I see it as kind of like when a HOF quarterback is in the broadcast booth of a football game. I had such a passion for drinking for so much of my life. I know taking a drink now will not turn out as fortunate as some of the early days. I do not react to alcohol the same way that I did 10 or 25 years ago. I was dangerous back then too but there was upside. In the later days there wasn't much upside any more. Alcohol is like a pool hustler that let's you win some games early on. Even though I have some good memories of the old days I know that taking a drink now would be about as foolish as some 50 or 60 year old QB trying to play pro football again.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
Alcohol is like a pool hustler that let's you win some games early on.
That’s exactly what alcohol is 🤣🤣🤣! A pool hustler that lets you win some games early on! I can never get those early days of drinking back! I’m a pickle! I can never return to being a cucumber 🥲! Something that took a long time for me to accept!
Old 03-18-2022, 11:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
It was insensitive and unprofessional in my opinion. I heard this the other day on a podcast, "you can be right, or you can have peace". I need to apply this in my own life. I'd let it go, knowing you continue to do the right thing.
I'm still facing insensitive people about my psoriasis. One guy made the cross sign with his fingers when he asked what was wrong with my skin, and I told him, like, evil away or something. I said nothing. Some people just have no idea.
some people are just incredibly rude. I tend to give folks that rude a pass at times thinking maybe they just dunno any better.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Any time I spend mulling over insensitivity, is time spent being insensitive to my own well being.
i should write that down very good point
Old 03-18-2022, 11:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
I dunno-I have sort of a sick sense of humor. I probably would have said something right back to make him equally uncomfortable. At the end of the call just before everyone hung up I probably would have interjected "Keep coming back, It works if you work it". And then caught myself and said-"my bad, that's friday nights.

I bet he has a few DWIs and knows he drill.
yeh thats often how i handle things as well but being that i'm new to this job i just kept quiet sigh.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

I recently saw a flier for a medication assisted therapy program and would jokingly tell people it doesn't make sense to quit doing drugs by taking more drugs. I read a post on Facebook today by someone who has friends who started taking Suboxone in order to get clean and it really gave me a different perspective showing me how close-minded I was on the subject. I wouldn't have been making jokes about it if I was dealing with it myself. Neither would your boss.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SoberInBlueRidg

D
Old 10-22-2023, 08:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"Methinks that he protests too much?"

He might need a meeting.

Volunteer to be his sponsor. Haha

Old 10-22-2023, 09:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Making fun of addiction is poor taste. So is making fun of mental health issues, jokes about suicide and telling gay jokes.

Not cool.