SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   on vacation at disney world want to drink bad (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/457607-vacation-disney-world-want-drink-bad.html)

100 02-10-2022 09:23 AM

on vacation at disney world want to drink bad

struggling want to drink. I don't know if I can stay sober. also my sponsor has disappeared. he hasn't been around. I didn’t anticipate wanting to. drink. I hadn't wanted to in long while. it's all I can think about. I'm in trouble.
David

adair 02-10-2022 09:48 AM

Have that drink mentally first.

Feel the anticipation, the promise it brings. Imagine yourself sipping it slowly (or guzzling it) and the momentary fuzziness and comfort it brings. Then feel the 'goodness' slipping away so you have to have another to try to get the feeling back. Before you know it you're chasing a feeling you can never catch. Instead of feeling good you feel dull, bloated. Your blood pressure is up, a headache is starting to build. You feel miserable.

The next day you're full of regret, hungover and your old friend anxiety is back with a vengeance. Is that where you want to be?

You're at Disney World - the place is chock full of distractions. Find something to occupy yourself until the feeling passes. You'll thank yourself later.

Dee74 02-10-2022 12:58 PM

If the attractions aren’t distracting you do you have other numbers to call from AA?
Are there ‘Friends of Bill W’ meetings around Disneyworld?

D

uncle holmes 02-10-2022 04:46 PM

OMGarsh 😱! Hang in there David! Hope you’re still sober! Ask God for help! Start calling AA people! Call the AA hotline down there and see if you can get to a meeting! Keep posting here! Let us know how you’re doing!

RecklessDrunk 02-10-2022 05:29 PM

There must be a meeting around there somewhere. I would search for a local meeting. Ive been to a meeting 2,000 miles from home. Pretty cool to meet alcoholics from other parts of the country.

100 02-10-2022 05:58 PM

I'm fine and still sober. I realized I had a poor attitude and was feeling resentful as the crowds were terrible and my high expectations for the trip were not being meet. also we had the travel day from hell getting to the park and I haven't been sleeping enough. I got my attitude back in line. also it felt like vacation and if I drank it would not be real. my head was telling I could drink my head off on vacation and go back to not drinking after vacation not telling anyone. I realize that wouldn't happen. I'm so grateful I'm still sober. I'll keep posting the rest of trip..
David

nez 02-10-2022 06:09 PM

Good job dealing with the feelings. If they start to creep back in at any time, go back and reread some of your posts to remind you of what David really wants, as opposed to what your head thinks it wants.

I'm so grateful I'm still sober.
Oh hell yeah!!! I have never been grateful that I drank. Keep on keeping on.

dwtbd 02-10-2022 07:55 PM

What’s your plan for future alcohol use ?
The best plan is going to imply that ‘unanticipated wanting’ is a thing and mostly likely to be expected , and the best plan incorporates that notion and answers , always, No Matter What
rootin for ya

advbike 02-12-2022 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk (Post 7765574)
There must be a meeting around there somewhere. I would search for a local meeting. Ive been to a meeting 2,000 miles from home. Pretty cool to meet alcoholics from other parts of the country.

Best meetings I ever attended were halfway around the world, in the Philippines. Fantastic group of guys from all over the world. Went to some with just locals too - always welcomed. AA can be really awesome at times.