Notices

Have I posted here I don't remember

Old 12-13-2004, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have I posted here I don't remember

Imagine that, I cant remember if I have posted in the past. I've been reading these forums for quite sometime, but I don't remember if I posted. On to the real story. I just buried my father, 53 years old from a heart attack, but he had chirrosis and kidney failure, so the actual cause was alcoholism. He was in the hospital this past summer and he was bloated and yellow. The Doctor said he would die if he drank again and by Halloween he had started.

I've been drinking since I was 15 and I'm now 32 and I've probably put down more than most. Question is what is gonna make me stop. After reading that Homer Simpson guys post I wonder if its possible to reach rock bottom. I know his stories remind me of myself.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!
That was your first post. You can see by your post count under your name. You'll find a great deal of support here. We all have a different bottom, just a matter of when your sick and tired of being sick and tired. You can do it, we all can.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

your right

but I think I may have registered under a different user name in the past.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi widespread,

It isn't possible to register here twice without a different email address. If you haven't changed email, you haven't registered here. If you have changed email addresses and this really bugs you, you can pm the old email address to a moderator or administrator and we can search for you. However, if it doesn't bug you, just carry on. Welcome!
Old 12-14-2004, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey widespread. I am going thru the same thing with my mom as you did with your dad. And I can also tell you that when I was a child I swore I would never drink when I grew up. Well, I was a full blown alkie at 25. Went to rehab, but ended up drinking again. Finally five yrs ago I got sick of being sick and getting in trouble and all the junk that goes along with it. I could have been in a worse situation than I was, but I had enough. I have been sober 5 yrs. and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Its only by God's grace I am still here. I hope you get help asap. You don't need to end up in the same boat as our parents. I will pray for you and your family. Keep posting here, there's alot of great people and great sobriety.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello Widespread--Welcome to SR! I have heard people say that hitting bottom only means you have stopped digging. Everyone's bottom is different.

I'm now 32 and I've probably put down more than most.
This is seriously doubtful. I am not trying to belittle your alcoholism, just trying to help you realize you are not alone. I spent a lot of time convinced that I was the only one who was suffering, and that I was worse off than most, and it got me nowhere. If you have been reading other posts, I am sure you have seen that there are many people who have been very, VERY sick, yet somehow, they have found a way to get better. All you need is honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness, and you can do anything.

Best of luck and keep posting.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WidespreadPanic
Question is what is gonna make me stop. After reading that Homer Simpson guys post I wonder if its possible to reach rock bottom.
Do you really want to find out what is going to make you stop? For us alcoholics, things have to start geting pretty bad for us to want to quit. For myself, it was waking up in a hospital ER, unable to walk. Barely able to recall how I go there. That was my bottom. You don't have to reach a low bottom. If you recogonize that you have a drinking problem, thats a start. If you decide you are ready to stop drinking and improve your life, a recovery program is the way to go. I go to AA. Anyways, Stick around, keep posting, learn what you can from all the great people here!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been drinking since I was 15 and I'm now 32 and I've probably put down more than most. Question is what is gonna make me stop. After reading that Homer Simpson guys post I wonder if its possible to reach rock bottom. I know his stories remind me of myself.
WideSpreadPanic :
Put down my share in that same time frame but I am now 46 and very grateful I found a way out. Pleased AA was around to show me a way to put the shovel(drink) away and quit digging my personal panic HOLE any deeper. Homer's posts remind me much of myself as well. I'm not sure whats gonna make you stop but realizing I could not stop on my own was a beginning of a wonderful journey for me. Your screen name signifies a possible reason why you might want to check out options such as AA.

((((((((((WideSpreadPanic)))))))))
3Legs
:tri