SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Messed up my courses last year because i drank (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/457134-messed-up-my-courses-last-year-because-i-drank.html)

Vik88 01-13-2022 08:39 AM

Messed up my courses last year because i drank

Anyone got any tips to stay on the wagon? because i really wanna get my studies done, have a quiet life with an partner and a dog or two in a nice little house.

nez 01-13-2022 08:56 AM

Just remember that alcohol is counter productive to your goals of getting your studies done, a quiet life, a partner, a dog or two, and a nice little house. At least, it was true in my case.

Vik88 01-13-2022 09:41 AM

Nez, did you manage to get it?

Vik88 01-13-2022 09:48 AM

It is counter productive. staying clean and proving to my teachers that i can get these courses done this spring will prove alot. i'm 100% commited to that.

Vik88 01-13-2022 10:32 AM

But as it is for the moment, that special lady/women will have to wait.

AL48 01-13-2022 11:00 AM

Write it down and keep it with you the positives and negatives. The list saved me while shopping for the family. I used to be so tempted by the afternoon to get a bottle once i had all my morning "never agains" finished. Stay strong there will always be moments of weakness but they don't last long.

Vik88 01-13-2022 11:47 AM

Thank you AL48, i will do that. I will have a list of those close to my heart. thank you for the advice. I never thought about that before, and i'm serious. :)

Dee74 01-13-2022 12:34 PM

Yeah the house, the partner and the dog will come in time.
I'd focus on your studies for now.

Some people find they need more than just SR Vik - what else have you been doing to stay sober?

D

Vik88 01-13-2022 12:43 PM

Trying to think positive. not having to be stressed all the time. which happens after i drink. i have these small crosses at my door, which believe it or not calms me down.told a friend about it.

Vik88 01-13-2022 01:19 PM

I wanna go to the local aa meetings, but part of me is afraid that they will judge me.

RecklessDrunk 01-13-2022 04:39 PM

It is likely that you will be amazed at how much you have in common with the people of AA. Many different backgrounds and patterns of drinking but there is a certain something that bonds us together.

We are round pegs trying to fit in a square hole.

For one, an allergy to alcohol combined with an obsession to drink it.

If you buy into this program what you will find is a hope that you won't believe. The house and all that kind of stuff may come but it won't matter. You will learn to live life on life's terms. You will be better prepared to deal with whatever comes.

Right now you would be better off buying into this program then finding a suit case with a million dollars to buy a house. Money and material things are only fuel for the all consuming fire that is alcoholism. If material things fixed it many Hollywood celebrities wouldn't have any problems.

I "moderated" my drinking enough to get through college and hold down a middle class life for decades. When it finally blew up in my early 40s it almost took everything.

Vik88 01-13-2022 07:10 PM

Thank you RecklessDrunk. I'm gonna go and see where i can find them next. you are ok now though?

user1 01-13-2022 08:15 PM

School

I'm not sure why, but I was super good at school while drinking. Still, I'm sure it robbed me of some of the experience.

8307c4 01-13-2022 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vik88 (Post 7751189)
I wanna go to the local aa meetings, but part of me is afraid that they will judge me.

Let those without sin cast the first stone.

nez 01-14-2022 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vik88 (Post 7751111)
Nez, did you manage to get it?

Yes, and I am still receiving and learning from the gifts that come with being free from alcohol. It has been like watching a sunrise, a languid awakening that I wouldn't trade for anything! It is unfolding in it's own natural rhythm. Healing. Gratitude. Beauty. Peace. Grandeur. All rolled into one.

RecklessDrunk 01-14-2022 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vik88 (Post 7751299)
Thank you RecklessDrunk. I'm gonna go and see where i can find them next. you are ok now though?

I didn't lose my job until after I was sober for a year. Not even related to my drinking, just a corporate thing. Thank God I was sober or my severance pay would've went right down the tubes. The person I turn into after taking a few drinks would've have seen severance pay as an endless pile of crack cocaine! Not to mention the dumb decisions I would make between binges, the fear and depression of being unemployed.

After losing my job I drove across the United States and just enjoyed it. I remember some summer days just unemployed, no immediate job in sight, sober and just thinking how pleasant and peaceful the beach is. I would just do my best to find work and let the chips fall. Whatever life had in store for me i would deal with it when it came.

Those decades of drinking finished off any shot i had at getting rich. That just wasn't meant to be. I make a good deal more at my current job and now a new set of challenges. Now that I have more money inflation is growing out of control.

Vik88 01-28-2022 08:42 AM

Doing good here. got to show some steps (thats part of the assignment) to a teacher during thursday. so, it's going good. trying to relax during the weekend. i actually spent about 9 minutes today waiting for the washing machine to finish.. and thinking to myself, don't stress yourself out (it only lead to drinking) and it was actually kinda enjoyable just waiting and being calm. try to keep the weekend free if possible. some fanta zero, some pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds as a snack (on a diet again, count the calories though). and i like the calm. drinking doesn't work for me.hope everyone else is doing good :)

SnazzyDresser 02-04-2022 06:19 AM

Great thread, Vik88. I got sober here at SR for good in January 2017, SR is the best and was perfect for me at the time. After I was sober 2.5 years I summoned up the courage to go to a real-life AA meeting. Honestly it scared me to death, the very idea of facing flesh-and-blood people in this context. But it was great and was just what I needed. Still is in fact, I go to 2 or 3 AA meetings a weeks now. It's completely fascinating, the whole AA scene. It sounds grandiose to say it's changed my entire view of life and the world and what it all means but it's actually done that for me. And I haven't even formally worked the steps yet hahaha. Anyway all the best to you, Vik88. Getting sober and staying sober is the road to be on, no doubt about it. Keep letting us know how you're doing.