Notices

Treatments for crippling anxiety and depression?

Old 01-06-2022, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Treatments for crippling anxiety and depression?

This might be a bit long forgive me. Alcohol has lost its effect I drink it and I'm still in mental pain and it makes me feel worse when it wears off..... Even tho I know how bad it will make me feel I keep doing it every other day......if I wasn't depressed I'm sure I wouldn't reach out for alcohol. I'm crying every day and all day I feel sick to my stomach with depression and anxiety. I get intrusive thoughts towards myself and other which really startle me and than the depression I'll start thinking of family, let's I've lost years ago. My depression at this point is clinical and they won't accept me at the hospital. I wish there was inpatient I can just check myself into? I guess here in Edmonton Alberta u have to get a doctor to do it ? I fear I won't rewire my brain and get it off alcohol. I'm trying another SSRI with buspar but I'm not having luck with them I'm a 36 year old man and honestly this year I purposley I guess u can say became homeless to try to shake my addictions. All day I'm fatigued, clinically depressed and I'll order outfood and usually hold out for one day and back to drinking. So I out my stuff in storage I rent a room so I don't a ton of things and I literally took a flight to Ontario because I have some family there. This was about March of 2021 and it was rough being homeless but something new. One I had no money and actually my alcohol use stopped it had to I was broke and in a place where I couldn't touch it and plus I had bigger issues sleeping with one eye open being homeless. I was homeless for about 2 months ended up getting on welfare and rented a place and I was drinking maybe once a week or maybe once every 2 weeks? Lost 20 pounds and meh felt improved but still had some serious depression..... I was offered ketamine treatment for depression? I don't know what to do
Old 01-06-2022, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you might have missed this post abut the health services card, Karthas.

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
I’m one province over.

In Canada your health services card gets you free mental health attention. (includes addiction)

If you tell anyone in health care and/or mental health that you’re not safe or suicidal they will get you the help you need. I’ve done it twice. Usually it becomes a 3 day hold on a mental health ward or in detox.

I’ve struggled for eons. Drank every way and amount imagineable, had several DUIs, suffered great depression and shame more than I care to recall. I’ve tried everything. I’ve been at the place where hope was a sliver from gone.
I recently read “This Naked mind” by Annie Grace, the book untrained some long-held mental notions I had that have kept me trapped. It is worth an open-minded read.

Take decent care of yourself.
People will help if you ask.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think you might have missed this post abut the health services card, Karthas.
I did see that and I actually made a post I was at the er asking for help and they wouldn't admit me .... Maybe I need to call an actual addictions 1800 number instead of going to the er
Old 01-06-2022, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My personal struggles with anxiety ( and eventual diagnosis ) led me down the path to realizing that there was no drug that was going to "fix" my problem. I tried multiple prescribed drugs along the way and while some did help my symptoms, none addressed the root cause. And especially in the state you are in now where you are still using multiple substances, they are going to be much less effective, possibly even dangerous when combined.

You have asked a similar question before, and while i'm not always a big fan of referring people to old threads I think you might benefit from reading through this one again;
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...epression.html (Really need help what worked for your anxiety/depression?)

Old 01-06-2022, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Karthas View Post
Maybe I need to call an actual addictions 1800 number instead of going to the er
That would be a good place to start if you haven't already. Yesterday you also said you had a referral to an outpatient program - did you call back on that?
Old 01-07-2022, 02:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That would be a good place to start if you haven't already. Yesterday you also said you had a referral to an outpatient program - did you call back on that?
It didn't go well I have bad derealization and panic benzo and alcohol use so I can barley leave my house from anxiety
Old 01-07-2022, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Karthas View Post
It didn't go well I have bad derealization and panic benzo and alcohol use so I can barley leave my house from anxiety
Did you actually speak with them? I did the intake over the phone last time I went through an outpatient program. Many places are doing things exclusively via phone and or virtual meetings right now due to covid. You can also always call the toll free help line any time of the day.

I totally get the panic piece, but at some point you will have to take the leap of faith and let others start helping you.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Did you actually speak with them? I did the intake over the phone last time I went through an outpatient program. Many places are doing things exclusively via phone and or virtual meetings right now due to covid. You can also always call the toll free help line any time of the day.

I totally get the panic piece, but at some point you will have to take the leap of faith and let others start helping you.
This is a fact.
Panic is the feeling/thought that you can't do something.
You have to do it, though.
And you'll be so glad you did.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
This is a fact.
Panic is the feeling/thought that you can't do something.
You have to do it, though.
And you'll be so glad you did.
You guys are right..... I'm also off benzos and finished a taper so that alone is really causing some serious panic ..... I leave my house and I'm out of breath hyperventilating my heart and chest hurts and the derealisation is terrible... Everything's so bright and almost like I'm in a dream and it freaks me out more....