Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

They kicked me out of the hospital...... After saying I was suicidal

Notices

Old 01-04-2022, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They DISCHARGED me! I told them I don't feel safe and how bad my depression and anxiety is and that I want a safe place and they said well this CEO detox centre is full or something? Whatever centre they said it was they said they couldn't send me there so u have to go to outpatient...... I'm like what? U can't even keep me on a 24 hour hold?? And we sorta argued and than the doctor said nope u can go and now u can't see the psychiatrist at the hospital like was planned.... Literally ....... I'm back home now what to do?
Old 01-04-2022, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't comment on the NHS as I'm not British. I'm sorry you couldn't get the inpatient help there.
Why not look into the outpatient help offerred tho?

Do you have a regular Dr - a GP - they may be able to help you with detox.

D
Old 01-04-2022, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's outpatient here but they only keep u until 9pm... What's stopping u from going to the beer store after outpatient u know? I'm also in the process of taper off benzos sooo my derealisation and anxiety is real bad ...there's a walk-in clinic doctor who I'm seeing and he's tapering me off benzos but pretty hard to do when u fell into a beer bender for 3 weeks. There's a pill that u can take that makes u throw up if u drink beer maybe I should take it.....or atleast gabapentin which is usually a smart drug to prescribe as a bridge to help get people of alcohol and benzos.... I'm not really sure what I should do
Old 01-04-2022, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Karthas View Post
They DISCHARGED me! I told them I don't feel safe and how bad my depression and anxiety is and that I want a safe place and they said well this CEO detox centre is full or something? Whatever centre they said it was they said they couldn't send me there so u have to go to outpatient...... I'm like what? U can't even keep me on a 24 hour hold?? And we sorta argued and than the doctor said nope u can go and now u can't see the psychiatrist at the hospital like was planned.... Literally ....... I'm back home now what to do?
Take advantage of the outpatient program if it was offered. In many places, that isn't even an option so utilize it. It could actually work to your advantage in that they would likely have the authority to get you admitted to inpatient if they feel it's necessary. They will likely do a pretty detailed assessment upon arrival.

Being argumentative is not going to help any situation either - and as addicts we want things our way all the time, but part of getting sober is learning that the world just doesn't work that way.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm not really sure what I should do
Do what you can with what you have. Some people come to SR and it is literally the only thing they have when they first start out. If you have a piece of paper, start making a list of what you CAN do. You will always be able to find an reason ( excuse ) as to why something won't work.

I can help you start the list
1. Contact the outpatient as soon as they open
2. Go to a recovery meeting - in person or online. They are plentiful and free
3. Take a walk
4. Take a nap
5. Get some reading materials about sobriety/self improvement - read them
Old 01-04-2022, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Take advantage of the outpatient program if it was offered. In many places, that isn't even an option so utilize it. It could actually work to your advantage in that they would likely have the authority to get you admitted to inpatient if they feel it's necessary. They will likely do a pretty detailed assessment upon arrival.

Being argumentative is not going to help any situation either - and as addicts we want things our way all the time, but part of getting sober is learning that the world just doesn't work that way.
Thanks I had no idea that outpatient could admit me or actually do more than just a therapy type session. Never have been to one before. I agree I wasn't trying to lose my temper I didn't fly off the handle but still I did argue and ya it leads no where... I'm also going to my walk-in clinic doctor tomorrow asking for a psych refferal and what he thinks about my alcohol bender and cravings
Old 01-04-2022, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do what you can with what you have. Some people come to SR and it is literally the only thing they have when they first start out. If you have a piece of paper, start making a list of what you CAN do. You will always be able to find an reason ( excuse ) as to why something won't work.

I can help you start the list
1. Contact the outpatient as soon as they open
2. Go to a recovery meeting - in person or online. They are plentiful and free
3. Take a walk
4. Take a nap
5. Get some reading materials about sobriety/self improvement - read them
Thanks ipp be writing one out now. Chip away at things..... The scariest thing tho is the depression and anxiety.... Failed quite a few meds and I was sober for 5 months and I still had bad anxiety and depression.... But also tapering off these benzodiazpines can be a huge issue here to so. It's a mess tho but I'm continuing my taper I'm now about to be on 5 or 6 mgs of valium from 7.5mg
Old 01-04-2022, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks I had no idea that outpatient could admit me or actually do more than just a therapy type session. Never have been to one before. I agree I wasn't trying to lose my temper I didn't fly off the handle but still I did argue and ya it leads no where... I'm also going to my walk-in clinic doctor tomorrow asking for a psych refferal and what he thinks about my alcohol bender and cravings
Both sound like very good ideas, and yes most outpatient programs do a very detailed assessment prior to admission.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Both sound like very good ideas, and yes most outpatient programs do a very detailed assessment prior to admission.
Thanks I'll keep things posted.