Notices
View Poll Results: Did you ever drink and drive?
Yes - very often.
32.06%
Occasionally.
35.11%
Very rarely.
10.69%
Once or twice.
10.69%
No. I never drove drunk.
11.45%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Did you ever drink and drive?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did you ever drink and drive?

Simple question - did you ever drink beyond the probable "legal limit" where you live, and get behind the wheel of a car?
Old 11-29-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes I did, along with many other things that were destructive/dangerous/embarrassing.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did as well. Before alcohol became a problem for me I couldn't imagine drinking and driving. The concept was beyond me and I easily laid judgement on people who did. Now I understand how the alcoholic brain can rationalize anything to feed the addiction. My tolerance had become so high that I would seem "normal" to people but I was way beyond the legal limit. I am almost 4 years sober and I am deeply grateful to not have to argue with my addiction about appropriate behavior.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I did too. I would like to echo what Gettingcloser said. It was the same for me. I'm so thankful we no longer live that life.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My drinking patterns changed over the decades of drinking.

I remember in those days when I was underage I was absolutely terrified of ending up in a dwi wreck. Even something that I didn't cause but being involved with the cops being able to prove i was drinking.

Right before I had any alcohol in my body I would say I'm going to control my drinking tonight and not drive home wasted. Maybe I could order a water after every couple of beers. Once I had a drink the allergy, the phenomenon of craving would take over. Time and time again I would end up hammered. Once the alcohol is in me i am different person that does not care about consequences. Not only driving drunk but I would drive crazy when younger. Sometimes end up in a street race. Like it was a video game. Fortunately I only did minimal damage to the car in some minor scrapes. Mostly single car stuff I would laugh about. One fender bender I talked my way out of and paid for without the cops getting involved. My lawyer got my first DWI pleaded down to a reckless driving. Between that and my regular speeding and careless driving and all that stuff I lost my license 3 times by the time I was 23 years old. I drove drunk and suspended after that sometimes anyway. The good old days before all this technology. At least driving suspended seemed to make me drive more careful. I knew if I got pulled over I was toast so I drove carefully. Then I got my license back and continued to drive like I was suspended. I figured if the cops can't pull me over they can't give me a ticket, amazing!

As I got older I got more paranoid. This really killed my social life because I was terrified of dwi so i avoided a lot of stuff. Sometimes I would go anyway and try to control my drinking with mixed results. Many times I would hang in there long enough to keep a little buzz until I could get somewhere safe and drink the way that I like to drink.

One thing that probably made me safer in the old days was if i scored cocaine before I drove home from the bar. Then I wouldn't mess around in the car. Not only terrified of getting busted but also terrified of not being able to do more coke. My AV would justify doing coke so I could drive home safer.

Long story but I stopped doing hard drugs for years. Then I stupidly got back into it in my mid 30s or so. I was usually pretty good at avoiding driving drunk and when I did I didn't drive like a lunatic. One of the only reasons I would drive drunk is if I was drunk and suddenly felt like I needed drugs. In those days I would of sworn that I wouldn't do drugs in a given night and only hours later there I would be. Drunk and driving in a bad part of town spending money that I shouldn't. Finally I got busted again and this time they charged me with felony possession as well as dwi and drug offenses that I didn't even think of. School zone and such.

The 2nd dwi arrest I wasnt even really speeding or doing anything that should get me pulled over. Rich area late at night, almost home with the goods. Boom, total shock and terror once I saw him hit the lights. He's stopping me, really? Holy..... what am I going to do now?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank, then drove….🥵
Old 11-30-2021, 02:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To be honest, yes I did. And it was an irresponsible
decision on my part in which I paid a costly price for
it.

As I neared the end of my drinking career, spiraling
out of control, I also lost control of the wheel and ran
off the road hitting a concrete culvert sitting on top
the ground through some construction zone less than
a mile away from home at 2am in the morning.

From what I remember and was told, they had to
cut me out of car while asking questions and me
crying about my babies. They searched to see of
I had my 2 children in the car with me. Thank God
they weren't.

That stunt landed me in the hospital for 10 days
with a punctured spleen needing to be removed
or else I would have bled to death. They also repaired
a punctured lung from the numerous broken ribs,
contusions, sewing me back together.

In 3 months after healing nicely, the insanity of my
addiction gave me the green light to enter the car
again, returning to the same spot, same drive home,
same time under the influence of alcohol, but this time
on a dare I tried to end my life.

Family sought help for me placing me into the hands
of those capable of teaching me about my addiction
and give me the gift of a recovery program that I could
and would incorporate in all my affairs one day at a
time moving forward on my sober journey in life.

That was 31 yrs ago as I listened, learned, absorbed
and applied numerous lessons on addiction and recovery
to get me where I am today. Relatively happy, joyous
and absolutely free from my addiction today.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes.

I'm thankful that I never had an accident. During my college years I couldn't afford a car, so that probably helped.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I'm ashamed to say I did. Usually driving after drinking to get more wine. A few times going to pick up my daughter at school. I'm really fortunate that I never got a dui. If I had, I would have deserved it.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Unfortunately, yes and received a DWI about 20 years ago. They are a ROYAL pain in the butt!

You get used to walking to the bars even through dangerous neighborhoods and ice that's easy to break your neck on if you hit it wrong. While drunk of course just to up the odds.

No accidents and never hurt anyone but myself, thank God.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I unfortunately did drive home from the bar a few times before I figured out I could get way drunker drinking at home alone, where no one could stop me. I lost all my friends anyway because I became so toxic when I drank. I have burn scars on my arms where I would become rather masochistic when drunk and I would put out cigarettes on myself at times, especially back when I was still drinking a fifth of 100 proof per day. I am so happy to be sober.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did drink and drive more times than I care to admit. By the grace of God nobody ever got hurt due to my stupid decisions. I was lucky enough to never get a DUI either.

After going out to the bar and club one night and getting absolutely hammered, I regretfully drove home. It was about a 15 minute drive. When I awoke the next day I could not remember how I had gotten home. At all. Not a clue.

I quickly got dressed and went outside to find my car parked in my normal spot, no indication of the fact that I was wasted and blacked out when I had parked it.

That was my big eye opening moment and I have made a concerted effort to not drive over the limit since.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
Simple question - did you ever drink beyond the probable "legal limit" where you live, and get behind the wheel of a car?
Simple answer - yes.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Almost never as I had a plan for how I was getting home but usually I just drank on my couch. The very last time was one summer I stopped at my friends intending to have two but ended up drinking a lot more. I got about a block away from her house and turned around and went back because I realized I shouldn't be driving. That was scary because there were kids out all over and I got in my car.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sometimes I think my hungover driving the next morning was just as dangerous. I wonder sometimes if I'd have registered above the limit in the morning. Shaking and sweating on the way to work... barely able to think or process through the headache, terrified of the meetings and projects where I'd have to be "on."

There but for the grace of God go I...
Old 12-04-2021, 01:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did and it still haunts me. I would “only” have 5-6 beers then drive the 2 miles down the country road to get my son from the bus.

How f’d is that!!

Thankfully I never got in an accident or hurt my son.

Now I’m just thankful and will never go back to that
Old 12-07-2021, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
Sometimes I think my hungover driving the next morning was just as dangerous. I wonder sometimes if I'd have registered above the limit in the morning. Shaking and sweating on the way to work... barely able to think or process through the headache, terrified of the meetings and projects where I'd have to be "on."

There but for the grace of God go I...
I ended up having to call in sick when I woke up too drunk to drive. That's when I switched to buying pints of whiskey instead of bigger bottles.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, unfortunately I did.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Better late than never

Got a DWI shortly after my 21st birthday. Should of racked up multiple ones over the next 20 years after that but I guess I was lucky.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Yep. Too many times to count. Got caught twice. The first one didn't slow me down, but the second DUI did. I quit going to the bars and started isolating at home, which only made my addiction much worse. The only thing that saved me was a total and absolute surrender.