Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4

Notices

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4

Old 10-19-2022, 05:52 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  
VinBx

So sorry for your loss Spen. It sure isnt easy. As for gi issues. I realized that once I quit I noticed many foods my stomach didn't agree with. I became trial and error for me and j notice what foods I could and shouldn't eat. Best of luck to ya.

Vinny
Old 10-27-2022, 01:43 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, Iíve just stumbled across this forum whilst trying to search for some explanations as to how and why I am feeling like I am. I am 80 days sober today and up until Monday I have been feeling great. As of Monday I have had headaches, dizziness, internal tremors and lots of the things other people have experienced. So I guess I have PAWS. Iím just so grateful that you guys have been able to explain this to me as it has been getting me down and full of anxiety. At least I now realise Iím not dying. So thank you.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:42 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome HappyFeet
It could be PAWs or it might be youíre simply coming down with something tooÖthatís also a realistic possibility these days.

Hope you feel better soon

D
Old 10-28-2022, 03:23 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Day 150

I actually found a combination of antidepressants that worked for me. Iím taking 50 mg Pristiq and 2 mg Abilify. I donít recommend it because everyoneís different, and Iím not a doctor. At first it seemed to make things worse, but after a couple weeks, my PAWS symptoms are about 90% better. I think my symptoms were so bad at the beginning that nothing would have really helped. Iím hopeful that this will treat the symptoms while my GABA and glutamate receptors return to normal. I will still need to taper off the antidepressants at some point. My psychiatrist says that this treatment will help new connections to form. I hope so.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:39 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
VinBx

Originally Posted by Happyfeet11 View Post
Hi everyone, Iíve just stumbled across this forum whilst trying to search for some explanations as to how and why I am feeling like I am. I am 80 days sober today and up until Monday I have been feeling great. As of Monday I have had headaches, dizziness, internal tremors and lots of the things other people have experienced. So I guess I have PAWS. Iím just so grateful that you guys have been able to explain this to me as it has been getting me down and full of anxiety. At least I now realise Iím not dying. So thank you.
Welcome happy feet. Glad you found this sight. It truly is a life saver and there is hope. Keep posting the support here is tremendous.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:17 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Hi Happyfeet - welcome! It's not the most fun club, but we are all here for you as you navigate. Just always keep in mind that it's not permanent - this above all is what PAWS tries to tell you, and that'll drive you right back into drinking. Stay strong and post here - and don't pick up no matter what!
Old 11-06-2022, 11:33 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Do you guys feel like deeply afraid to take any sort of medication now? I have a super bad cough and I'm like spending HOURS googling if it's ok to take cough medicine. I finally gave up and took it last night so that I could get some sleep, but like - the list of things I feel ok about taking is like ibuprofin, vitamin c, and cough drops at this point. I feel ok after taking the cough medicine - I'm sure I'm fine. But the fear of going back is SO REAL.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:14 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hello ,Warriors!!!

Hello people! I am new here and sorry for my bad English. I come from Bulgaria(Europe) and I just started my 11 month of PaWs😪. I want to share my story with Magnesium Glycinate. At 11 month i saw very big improvement in all of the aspects in my recovery. Yea.. for sure up and downs, but everything was better than before. Of course hard anxiety and depression in the waves of Paws, but i was optimist. I choosed to try Mag. Glycinate for anxiety, because for many people its a relief. After the first days i felt that something is wrong with my sleeping( its the only one thing that i fixed in my recovery). After the sleeping i had problems with muscle pains, i lost my apetite, blurred vision, trouble sleeping, very low body temperature , and rapidly changing of moods. I thought that i am again in Acute Withdrawal syndrom with exactly the same symptoms. I made blood test and everything was super. Now i am on medications and i am so sad, because i thing that i start from the beginnig😪. Some people say that its too much binding with glutamate in the brain and its like AccuteWS. This is not for everybody. I Had very big improvement for those 11 months and now i start like in the beginning with Mood swings and the another symptoms. Reaaly, Reaaly bad. The only thing that i am proud now, its because all of these simptoms are not from consuming alkohol. Soory again for my English, i was often here but without registration and now i am a member.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:20 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

hello everyone
i am new on this forum, i am 32 yo and i would like to share my short shoking overconcerning experience to me.
on the contrary with many experiences here, i ve never been dependant of alcohol, and i ve never even tasted the alcohol because of many factors (personal and religeous ones). however, when i travelled the last summer (aout) for a one week holiday with a friend of mine who basically drinks a lot. it was the opportunity or the vulnerability for me to try drinking alcohol the second night of our holiday. honestly, i got 5 beers the first night and i liked so much its effect on me. i continued drinking the same quantity 3 other days later even the euphoria felt at first disapeared after that and turned in an anxiety.
so , when i went back home , i started to have some symptoms of hangover for few days as depersonlization, trouble concentrating, and blackouts, a diminished attention that lasted almost 15 days after. even if was still feeling fatigue even 1 month later.
i am in 2.5 months after drinking for 4 or 5 days in my whole life, but i am feeling a sort of depression the mornings which is reduced later and anxiety manifesting in episodes of 3 hours or 4 hours over the day and the return of some of the first hangover feelings , like little blackouts. this situation impacted my productivity at work.
i am very concerned, can anyone say if that is the paws of my alcohol consumption ? is an alcohol consumption of few days can trigger these symptoms ?
i ll be thankfull if u can answrr me because i am shoked , i was always an anxious person but moderately and in a very positive way.

i wish the success for all members
Old 11-12-2022, 11:20 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

abdoudz, I have heard of this happening with people using marijuana/THC, even for a short time -- they become dissociated and experience anxiety, depersonalization/derealization for a period of time that seems to make no sense for the amount of time they used. It's entirely possible that you got yourself into an anxiety feedback loop that triggers PAWS-like symptoms. I'd suggest speaking to a doctor to rule out anything that can be remedied on a medical standpoint, and get some bloodwork done to make sure you're not, say, suffering from low vitamin D, hypothyroid etc. And it it turns out to be strictly mental symptoms, then follow a protocol like all of us have been doing - get a lot of rest, avoid caffeine and stress (when you can), basically do a lot of self care and don't push yourself. Whether or not it's PAWS doesn't mean that what you're experiencing isn't real -- your brain is attached the the rest of your body, so treat yourself with kindness and eat healthy, whole foods, take walks, etc. -- I think you'll find that your nervous system will re-regulate itself if you give it what it needs.
Good luck and keep posting here if you need support! And - definitely don't drink anymore!
Old 11-18-2022, 04:42 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

hi BettyB
thank you for answering me. Obviously, i did many bloodworks including liver, thyroid, and many other bloodworks in addition to EEG which i did twice, but the results were always fine. and that s why i supposed having PAWS. in fact, i am a healthcare professionnal and i can confirm for you that YES , even a temporary low consumption of alcohol can trigger paws. scientists and researchers should consider this. i don t know why a such toxic product can be sold legally everywhere. i am seriously frustrated and shoked by the disproportionality between my low consumption of 4 days and its serious impacts on my health. i am 3 months sober, i have to learn how to cope with its consequences until hopefully i ll get out of the woods. recently when i posted my first comment i was in the middle of a bad wave that lasted 10 days , starting by a brain fog and blackouts with concenteation difficulty then came a depression with anxiety then aphasia in the last couple of days, i went desperately to the psychiatrist because i was wornout and i had to stop working for few days but eventually when i started talking with him i suddenly started crying , he was very kind and patient with me , he was thinking i was in a depression. and since then i cried i started getting better the few days after, i think that crying and tears have a huge place in our mental and psychological world, it s more than a simple socially neglected behavior.
But now i still suffer from sudden little bouts of anxiety. the next week i m returning to work. i hope i ll do well , and i ll stay in touch with you to update you my state.
i want to share my experience with young and non alcoholic people, to not to dive into this drug blindly. when i ll get better hopefully i ll do my best to fight alcoholism and any form of addiction and help people who are struggling with.
this is a geat site here, SR had shortened the way to me making me know what was going wrong with me, and injected a dose of hope and patience in me.

i hope you re doing well bettyB, did you get out of the tunnel ?

thank you
Abdou
Old 11-19-2022, 01:50 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Hey i hope that you are super now, but how long it takes ADs to work in your case. I am on almost 12 months sober and i want something to help me with my mood. I gave me almost 12 months at home without stress only excercising and good food. Simple i gave me a Time, but of course i need and to work. I am on 2 second week of ADs and its like Paws. After my Bad experience with Mag. Glycinate i feel that i start from the beginning. Poor me.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:26 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Hi Abdou - I did get out of it, thank you! I have actually felt the best I've felt in years lately - I really want anyone suffering to know that there's an end to PAWS. My last lingering symptoms are some days of total exhaustion - like I live in a fourth floor walk-up and I have to stop and rest just coming up the stairs to my own apartment. Anxiety-wise things are so so much better. I'll be two years and five months sober on December 7.
Asix - the milage on ADs really varies a lot. Some people have to go through a lot of trial and error to find something that works. Try to find a doctor to work with you who is familiar with addiction recovery so that you can really be able to share how the process is going. I think a sort of rule of thumb is that they take several weeks - 6-8 - to start having the desired effect. Depending on where you are in PAWS (sounds like a year), I honestly would go super slow on the ADs or maybe even forego them. A lot of people see a turning point in their PAWS around 14-16 months, so while it still feels pretty miserable right now, you're going to come out of it and symptoms are going to start falling away. I did take an AD, and it definitely helped me sleep and eat - which was priceless support. I'm neither pro or anti AD, I would just caution against the very real possibility that a doctor is like "oh you're still anxious and depressed? Let's up the dose..." -- that's not great advice for a PAWS person because this condition is temporary. Again - try to find a doc who knows something about recovery (because they'll listen to you!). Good luck, and keep posting here when you're struggling (and even when you're not!)
Old 11-30-2022, 01:33 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

I want to ask something. When i stopped alkohol this affected and my thyroid function( hypothyoridism). This affected and my lymph nodes, and a lot of anothers symtptoms. In the beginning of my recovery i had and Paws ans hypothyoridism. Whitout medications after 4 months Hypothyoridism was gone. Somebody else with both in the beginnig like me?
Old 11-30-2022, 11:01 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Day 186

Iím feeling basically normal and sleeping great. I did have a bit of wine in the last month. It didnít seem to set me back any, but I think thatís because of the ADís Iím taking. I realize I need to resume NO alcohol so that PAWS will eventually end and my receptors can get back to a normal level so that I can taper off of the ADís.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:34 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Asix - I had a lot of hormonal symptoms, which are finally resolving now. Alcohol definitely affects hormones - in fact it's a huge risk factor for breast cancer due to the way it tinkers with your hormones. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better these days. Don't drink any more wine!!!
Old 12-08-2022, 12:46 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

for anyone that had a paws wave at 90 days, how long did it last roughly? i know everyone is different
Old 12-09-2022, 04:39 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Almost 1 year for me with Paws. The first 3-6 monts were disaster in my case. After 3 months i began slowly to feel the waves of feeling better. Before that was everyday battle. My waves with Paws now are like 6-7 days and waves of 6-10 days feeling better. Of course its not everytime the same. Keep it up, stay strong.
Exercising will help you a lot, some L-theanine, L-tyrosine, minerals and vitamins. CUT the coffe, sugar and cigarretes. Intermittent fasting help a lot. Keep on track and will get better!!!

Last edited by Asix9; 12-09-2022 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Originalname
Old 12-13-2022, 11:04 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Original - a lot of people who've posted here have said that they experience waves at milestone dates - 90 days, 6 months, etc -- I think it's more that your brain is healing on its own time and the waves just come when they come and you happen to notice them on milestones because you're thinking "hey I should feel better right now." 90 days was actually when PAWS really took off for me, but there were some windows. Trust the windows! This is an extremely uncomfortable - yet temporary - condition. Your nervous system is adjusting to life without the drug (alcohol). You are stronger than you think - you can do this! Lots of us who were posting last year have come out the other side - so much so that I think a lot of them have moved on and don't feel the need to post anymore. We all recover! Keep coming and posting when you need some support :-)
Old 12-13-2022, 12:31 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

I'm inclined to think that there are natural cycles and rhythms in our bodies and their healing processes.

I'm certain for myself I have a ten-day cycle where my immune system is more, or less, active; knowing this has been helpful to me to overcome mad urges to e.g. eat the wrong foods.

It would not surprise me at all that there are longer cycles in spells of approximately three months, where the body plateaus and stabilises before healing further.

The main thing, I think, is to know that we can still keep progressing through these cycles.

The best is yet to come