Notices

Creating New Habits

Old 10-26-2021, 08:26 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Luck!

I'm in the camp of "a little bit of sugar." I have a donut now and then. I have a pint of ice cream now and then. Sometimes it's cookies...pie, what have you. I'm not about complete abstinence from treats - but they do increase inflammation. Especially sugar, wheat and trans fats or even just hydrogenated fats like used in donuts.

But 95% of the time I choose a dessert of mostly fruit and protein and some healthier fats. Not mostly sugar, fats and maybe a little protein. The protein and some fiber is muy importante, si? Not to mention all those micronutrients in plants and dairy and nuts.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:07 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Yesterday:

No spending money! Check
Sugar intake. NO! Check
Spiritual practice for 20 minutes. CHECK!
Reading. (No, my brain found a loophole with this audible app. Im not fooled, Brain! I see you! )
SOBER! CHECKITY CHECK CHECK!

Woke with pain in the lower back again. Cool! I think this flare up should go away soon. I'm doing all the right things. From time to time I get like this and Its really just time, NSAIDS, and being conscious of movement. Some of my work involves lifting heavy crates that are filled with supplements. Those things can get super HEAVY! Why? Because I packed all that crap in there! Me. I did it.
Some of the other stuff I do is not helpful as well. I am watching my diet and know it is my responsibility to make ALL of this better. I am making this situation better.
One small action at a time.

Thanks you, BB! I appreciate your advice and have taken to heart what you said. You have always been positive and helpful for me on this journey!
Old 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Today started at 3:30am! So, I logged on here, logged into my class, and here we are.

Halloween Bouquets have been a GIANT hit at work. We didn't know this would be a THING! Little skulls, cobwebs, flowers and spooky stuff all arranged in some black tissue paper. Its been really fun to summon an inner Morticia Adams, or to summon Morticia Adams florist! The latter seems more appropriate.

Yesterday:
Spiritual practice for 20 minutes
No emails
Reading for about 25 minutes.
No sugar!
I did spend 3 dollars at work. I feel okay about this. Edward Scissor hands needs to hydrate too!
Sober. Sober. Sober. Really loving the sobriety. Truly

Back is still in a funk but I am in high spirits. I have not missed work. I have not missed a beat. In fact, since getting sober I only missed ONE day of work the entire year. That missed day was due to my back not cooperating for multiple days and then it decided to no longer hold me upright. I don't think we are going there this time. Onwards. Upwards. Tomorrow I will become Doc Brown for the day. My coworker is Marty. We are BACK TO THE FUTURE!

Old 10-28-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

We live in a negative society here in the US. Its everywhere really. Complaining, bad news, unhappiness, lack of gratitude. Im not a Pollyanna but I do want to be HAPPY and HOPEFUL.

I'm with you on this sentiment Mizz. As connected as we all are now, the negative can find it's way to us much easier than in the past, we have to fight it! You are doing amazing and continue to inspire me....oh, and Squid Games was amazing!

Old 10-28-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slayingthedrago View Post
We live in a negative society here in the US. Its everywhere really. Complaining, bad news, unhappiness, lack of gratitude. Im not a Pollyanna but I do want to be HAPPY and HOPEFUL.

I'm with you on this sentiment Mizz. As connected as we all are now, the negative can find it's way to us much easier than in the past, we have to fight it! You are doing amazing and continue to inspire me....oh, and Squid Games was amazing!
I appreciate your kind words.

Deleting social media when I got sober was "one" of many actions taken to generate a more positive outlook on life. Reading less news. I literally searched in the tool bar "GOOD NEWS" and found the Good News Network as a source of positive information.

Squid Games! WOW! Just WOW! All of the characters were entertaining. Getting back to positivity though.......

Ted Lasso is probably the best show I have seen in a long time. I really love Ted. Love. He warms my heart. He makes me want to be a better person.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit burnt. I am going to schedule a few days off soon. Have a 4 day weekend or something that feels a bit more restful. My sleep has been off as well and so I am sure that is not helping. I struggle to balance my personal life and work life. On the weekends I am so tired from the work week. I am not doing all the things around this house that I would like. Tomorrow I will deep clean the house! That is the plan.. THAT IS THE PLAN!

Yesterday:
No spending of money on things I did not need
no emails
Spiritual practice for 30 minutes
reading in the morning.
No dessert
SOBER!
Old 10-29-2021, 06:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Nichiren Daishonin tells [his disciple] Yasaburo, “You must simply make up your mind” (“Reply to Yasaburo,” The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 1, p. 829). Once we decide to take on a challenge, we must approach it with the determination to win. When facing an opponent, it is easy to be defeated by our own weakness of spirit. The first step is to overcome the negative workings within. But at the same time, courage is different from recklessness. True courage is facing reality head-on. That’s the way to see clearly what needs to be done.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Waking up hangover free and sober NEVER gets old! We are so blessed. My coworker and I won the Pumpkin Carving Contest at work. We even wrote a story to go along with the little guy!
It was so fun.

Yesterday:
I did most of the stuff I set out to do. Spiritual practice, no emails, no spending of money.
When I got home I fell asleep real early. Had some sugar. Cake. Slept for a ton of hours and now I feel like I can conquer the world again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1387 (1).jpg (33.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 10-31-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I had a super productive Saturday. Usually my productivity is in the form of being horizontal.
Cleaned, picture hanging, talked with friends, took an afternoon run! This is unheard of. Called around about getting new tires. The S.O. and I made it down to the store to look at Halloween stuff. Pressed all the buttons on the noise making toys. Watched a few Halloween movies. I'm rested and up early.

Removed email account from computer and did not check emails. Why did I not remove this email account sooner?
Did not read.
Did not avoid sugar
I did spend money on a tiny Witch Hat. I needed it for movie watching and also for today. Yes, the hat was a NEED.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Old 10-31-2021, 05:45 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I can just see you with a tiny witch hat watching scary/not-that-scary movies. I probably shouldn't mention my popcorn with butter, EVOO, protein powder, nutritional yeast and cajun seasoning...So. Good. I could eat it every day if I could afford the calorie hit.

Happy Halloween!
Old 11-01-2021, 05:46 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Time to get back to business.
I had a long run, weights and abs yesterday which then put me to sleep for a few hours in the afternoon. I spent the day being unproductive. Monday has come around too quickly. I am going to request a few days off today. A weekend with a Monday and Tuesday.....This should have me feeling a bit more rested and rejuvenated. In theory.....should. We will see.

I finally got to watch Cruella. I LOVED IT! What a great film.

My coworker texted in yesterday about work and I did not engage. I am not a salaried employee and I will not work on my time off. I spent years answering emails and texts about work without actually being at work and I was not paid for all of that work. So, I am happy to have kept this boundary and to have deleted the text. Boundaries. We all need them. This may seem selfish or not worth mentioning but for me to uphold this boundary means a lot to my life and actually having a life that is not defined by my work.

In all honesty, my employers have taken advantage of people in regards to piling on more work without compensation. Its worded in a smooth way of "We think you would like this" or "You asked for this" or ....Lots of interesting wording. I ran the social media accounts for a year with my own equipment, my own phone bill. etc. and they did not offer any compensation. I billed them after a year. YES! I wrote up an invoice and submitted it. "Here is for the last year of using my data and equipment!" What happened after that bill? The social media was given to another department and company equipment was bought for that department to use. I didn't mind that it was removed from my already over full plate. I did mind that I had asked for provided equipment and It was not provided. It took another person to say "Maybe we should buy the store its own equipment!" to get it done. Holy hell! Anyways.....So, my boundaries are firmly in place and I will not budge from those boundaries. These things seem trivial but when they start to pile up resentment sets in. Selfish in a good way is how I see this!

No emails or texts
Small bit of reading
Candy! I had candy and now I am cut off!
No spending of money.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way too. When I sold Real Estate I was self-employed and I felt like I never had a day off. One of the older ladies who was super successful in her career told me, "Always pay yourself first, and don't answer calls on your day off!" That was back in the day before email and texting. I can imagine how many boundaries get crossed now with that kind of constant electronic communication. I think you're very smart to step back.

Signed,
Previous-Sometimes-Still-Codie (but-at-least-in-recovery,) bim
Old 11-02-2021, 08:51 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
Nichiren Daishonin tells [his disciple] Yasaburo, “You must simply make up your mind” (“Reply to Yasaburo,” The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 1, p. 829). Once we decide to take on a challenge, we must approach it with the determination to win. When facing an opponent, it is easy to be defeated by our own weakness of spirit. The first step is to overcome the negative workings within. But at the same time, courage is different from recklessness. True courage is facing reality head-on. That’s the way to see clearly what needs to be done.
This is a great quote, Mizz! So true in many aspects of life.

and... Great pumpkin!!!
Old 11-03-2021, 04:49 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

GOOD MORNING!
I am noticing a pattern of slight insomnia now that I have been sober for over a year.
Up at 3 am yesterday. I did all the the THINGS. Run, weights, work, dentist, spiritual practice, no emails, etc.
Came home exhausted.

I managed to force myself back to sleep this morning. 4:15 am is WAY better than 3 am but......
I even take an herbal supplement with melatonin to help and to possibly reset my body. Is it working? I dont think so. I dont take it every night as I dont think I need it every night. Ill worry about all of this if and when it starts to disrupt my life. Is my life disrupted now? NO. Am I happy? Yes. Am I sober? Yes. I have some slight concern but.....IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Some people are early risers and some people are early early early risers. If the early bird catches the worm what does the early early bird catch?

Onwards to a productive day of DOING. Happy Wednesday!

Old 11-05-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

The last few days have been OKAYISH! Im still dealing with that issue at work with that one person. Its never ending. AY YI YI!
I've had to talk with my general manager twice now. Its almost like this coworker is using bullying tactics and I AM NOT PLAYING THIS GAME! I managed to get the red block on the work taken down and have requested that she stop singling me out with side notes. We request signs from this person. She only comments on the areas where I request. No other comments for all the departments. Just where I request. The red block is in an ANGRY red. Not a blue. Not a purple. RED. TRIAGE. RED.
The explanation is that the RED was put there for another department even though that RED went up when I requested signs too early. So, if its for another department then there would be comments on the other departments. The only department receiving public comments is mine.... This is the stupidest thing I have encountered this year. As stupid as it is and as stupid as I feel writing this is does affect my work life. There is a negative energy that hovers around and its toxic. I am trying to get myself out of the swamp and my only recourse is complete silence. I wont talk. I ignore. I will not engage. This is not healthy for me but I dont have any other tactics. I dont know how to not take this personal. I get that other peoples actions have nothing to do with me but......I just dont have the book on this one. I dont know how to do this. Literally. I dont know how. If I knew how to make this right I would have already. Silence it is. Silence and avoiding and more silence. How healthy.

Yesterday:
Spiritual practice
No emails
No money spent
Reading in the am
Had a few pumpkin candy things
Went to bed at a reasonable hour and slept well.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:56 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hahaha you are so philosophical when you get up early. I prefer to sleep until 6, or even 7 in winter because it's dark, but if I wake up early like now, I just run with it.

Most important to mention is your amazing self awareness, Mizz. Great job!

* Edit - was responding to your earlier post.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:02 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

There's one in every workplace.

Don't let her live in your head, seriously. She's gonna do what she does. Use the Ignore button.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:27 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
There's one in every workplace.

Don't let her live in your head, seriously. She's gonna do what she does. Use the Ignore button.
Right. Ignore. I was all good until I went into the place I needed to go and then RED. RED. RED.
Im not going to that place in the computer anymore. Ill task this portion of my job to one of my coworkers. IGNORE function is ON!
I wish we actually had the "ignore" function in real life like we have here. Like, I cant see you anymore. That would be so so so so cool. Then she would be walking around like a blurry ghost type thing! Or there would be a words hovering around that says "ON IGNORE" hahahaha!!!!
Old 11-05-2021, 05:57 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Hahaha you are so philosophical when you get up early. I prefer to sleep until 6, or even 7 in winter because it's dark, but if I wake up early like now, I just run with it.

Most important to mention is your amazing self awareness, Mizz. Great job!

* Edit - was responding to your earlier post.
THANKS, ADVBIKE! I try to sleep in. Its almost impossible these days.
Running with it. Speaking of which.....I gotta get to running on the mill now.
Have a great day.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:01 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-...pitfalls-lbkr/

Why People Thrive on Drama and How you can Avoid the Pitfalls