Awesome! 👍👍
Old 10-15-2022, 11:55 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Duplicate post..
Old 10-15-2022, 11:59 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
Sober thoughts:
I am very happy to be coming up on two years of sobriety. I feel like I am worlds away from that awful week on October 8th, and I also feel like that week is still fresh in my emotions. The morning of October 8th was the saddest day of my personal existence here on the planet. I am grateful to have made the decision to stay the course of sobriety no matter what.

Structure:
Structuring my life has been the key to sobriety. Initially treating myself like I was in boot camp and not letting my head get in the way of stopping actions. Wake, SR, run, eat, work, home, bath, sr, sleep. Throw in a book here and there. Throw in a podcast here and there. Throw in an essential, herb, or amino acid here and there. Stay the course. Reap the rewards.

Anxiety:
Ive learned recently that becoming friends with my anxiety is the best solution. These flare ups are becoming less. With less intensity. I think they will always exist to a certain degree. Tools and more tools to get me back on the planet when my head goes off the rails. The greatest challenge is that I remained sober through it and continued to remain sober. I met that challenge head on, Never once have I thought that alcohol would make anything better. I knew alcohol was the reason as to why I was such a mess to begin with. Diligent internal house cleaning.

Boundaries:
I have learned boundaries the hard way. Recently ending a friendship of seven years. This decision was very hard to make but has proven to be the healthiest choice for my well being. I am sad about this. Its okay to be sad about the loss of a friendship. What is not okay is to allow detrimental behaviors to exist in my life. I knew, in the deepest parts of myself, that this was going to be the outcome. The knowing does not change the grief I feel. However, each day away from this friendship has given me hope, determination, and the thoughts that I will not be defeated.

Happiness:
That feeling or state of being. It was elusive to me. Happiness was for other people. The main reason for starting the practice of Nichiren Buddhism was to obtain happiness for myself and for others. Mainly myself. To be healthy and solid in my waking hours while I am on the planet. I am happy now. That internal resolve did not come without a lot of struggle. It did not come without the hard work. Some of the work was so intense that I didnt think I could make it through. There is gratitude in knowing that I have another day to make a difference in this life. One more day. Today. Yes, I will have terrible days. Good days. The in between days. The feeling that I am okay, deeply okay. is one that will never go away.

Community:
From my perspective, sobriety does require support. We need each other to stay the course. We learn from one another. We hold up the light for others while they make their way out of the dark. The light was held up for me when I started this journey. Its still being held as I walk with all of you. Community is powerful.

Mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically I am well today. I am standing up straight.
Fantastic summary and thoughts Mizz. So cogent and well written (as always!)

What changes you have made! I have learned much from all that you have shared..

Congrats on two years! YOU ROCK!
Old 10-16-2022, 04:33 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Advbike- I have not really made any changes to speak of. I'm just rowing along down our sober river.

I got in a great run this am after a weight session. The weather is still warm enough to cruise without layers. Its really nice to be on the road in the early morning when everyone else is sleeping. Very few cars. No distractions. Just me, the pavement, my earbuds, and some god awful music from the 80's that I thoroughly enjoy.

Work ..... Well, it will always be a circus to some extent. Im doing the things I need to do and leaving it behind when I walk out the door. Creating a mental boundary has been freeing. Its a job. It pays. I help people. I connect. I work to get along with everyone. I work to solve problems. Some things are not my job to solve nor are they my problem.

Emotionally and mentally- I am level. The hamster wheel of thoughts are on an intermission. It can stay there. The play is on hold and I think I will stay at the concession stand in the lobby. Life is just a lot more manageable, hopeful, and positive when the habitual thought pattern is arrested, or it just doesn't do the thing it always does.......Like, what about? My brain loves a good "What about tomorrow? What about the heater? What will happen if? What about tonight? What about.....like, just give it a ******* rest already. Who cares. Lets just face it and solve it when it actually happens. Most of the stuff my brain fixates on is not anything that I can do anything about, or it will never happen, or it didn't happen.....Anxiety can be cruel and punishing. It can be a teacher. It can be a lot of things. Today, anxiety is somewhere else and Im not about to go searching for it. Its calm in here.

So the goal here is happiness. How do I maintain this state of being happy?
No alcohol.
Running.
Spiritual practice
baths
Connection with others
eating well
Getting out into the world
8 hours of sleep
Writing
Singing \
Reading
Breathing in and out
Doing my best in all matters
Kindness towards myself and others.......
Kindness
Believing in oneself. ......
A little more kindness towards myself and others.....

Have a great evening, SR! There is a lot to be grateful for. I am grateful the sun is shining today. I am also grateful that I fixed the clog in my sink. Three toothpaste caps later.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:04 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Your list looks quite a bit like what I would put on my list too. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 10-23-2022, 06:39 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Good Morning, SR!
Ive been doing really well. Keeping myself busy with running, listening to podcasts, chanting, and keeping the structure. I went to an allergist and had the 55 allergen skin test. I am highly allergic to dust mites and Pig Weed aka Amaranth. That was an eye opener. So, Ive been working diligently to get things under control in the home and work environment. Im starting to breathe normally and Im not having as many "cold" symptoms. Stuffy, running, coughing, etc. The Pig weed will need to be addressed when spring comes. Its all over the yard.

Another thing that has been on my mind is that I have really low blood pressure. Always have. Apparently low blood pressure can create anxiety in people. So, I think I need to address this low blood pressure and see if my anxiousness is related to it. Ive had a few readings with the eye doctor and then the allergist that had them alarmed. I feel fine. I just wonder if this is something as simple as getting my blood pressure into a normal range? It cant hurt to speak with a physician about it. Unfortunately. finding a physician around here is really hard but Im going to give it my best shot. I'm not suffering so much from anxiety right now but I know how this anxiety can get the best of me on occasion. The anxiety is the one thing that has been present for years now and there is something going on that just doesn't make all that much sense. There are answers to be found. I will find them.

Other than that I am really good and staying level. Life is moving along. Its getting cold here. The sweaters and jackets are making their way out of the closet. I like this time of year. Fall colors. Crisp air. Heater going. Hot tea. Movies. Running indoor when its dark.

Today: I continue to clean my home. Wash the bedding. Keep things dust free so breathing is not a chore. haha!

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Old 10-23-2022, 10:20 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Wow, I've never heard low blood pressure may have a relation to anxiety. I've always had very low blood pressure (just like my father and his father) and I have an anxiety diagnosis. I'll see my psychiatrist very soon, I think I'll mention this to her.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:11 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

I think its worth asking about, Plop. It can't hurt. There is information about this when searching, and a doctor was talking about this on a podcast. I am interested in finding out more.

Incline run this am. Time to prepare for the work week.

*My computer at work died last week. I have enjoyed the break from constant technology. Using old methods to get the job done. Paper and pens and basically saying "Sorry, I cant research that for you right now but if you pull out your phone we can research this together." If I really need to check emails then I find a station elsewhere in the company. Nothing is an emergency. Everything can wait for a few days. Lemonade!

Old 10-24-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Wow. B/p and anxiety!?! Mine is usually in low 90s over low 50s.

So glad you are doing well, and welcome to your THIRD year !! (I’m late on that).

The list looks great. Thanks for the updates

Big hugs,

🤓❤️
Old 10-27-2022, 05:41 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Sometimes I get so sick of all the technology.. it changes our attention, ability to concentrate, and mindfulness with all the constant interruptions and updates and offers and requests.. nonstop.. I have begun to push back, ignore, unsubscribe and disconnect and think you had a fortuitous occurrence there with that sudden computer death, Mizz. I find actually writing things.. and doodling, to be very relaxing and enjoyable.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:36 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Advbike- Yes, the computer death has been great. We are now using an old laptop until the ordered cords come in next week. Im still not really engaged in the computer all that much.

When I first started working at this company we had books to use for education and to help our customers with herbs, supplements, etc. "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" ...... I miss that book. An oldy but goody. Times have certainly changed.

Our phones (tiny laptops) really do take up a lot of time, focus, energy, and create a less present reality for everyone. I notice that I get frustrated with myself when I have been using my phone too much. Sometimes I want to bury it in the yard. Haha! Its like I have no control .......Ive been known to hand my device to my spouse. "Please hide this for the remainder of the day!"
He's always a bit skeptical of my approach but it seems to work mentally for me. I don't ask for it. He doesn't offer it. I get a bit of freedom from whatever I was reading, or searching for, or ...... Ya, its just a lot at times.

Its good you are disconnecting from tech, Advbike. I hope you are doing well and feeling good about life. Are you? How's everything going in your world?

Mentally- Doing well.
Emotionally- Doing well
Physically- Doing well. I start immunotherapy soon for the dust mite and amaranth allergy. YAY!
Spiritually- Feeling connected.

Happy Friday, ALL!

Old 11-02-2022, 09:56 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Hi Mizz! Haha, I have been so busy lately. I am doing well, and thank you for asking. Some late election work, and also trying to finish up home projects that have been put off for too long. Living alone it's easy to slack off, especially since the pandemic.. but I would like to feel more comfortable inviting people over, as I tend to isolate too much. So I'm finishing the guest bath, and cleaning and working on some projects that will make the house look nicer. For example I have one old armchair (from the 40's!) that I love to sit in after biking and yes it's no longer looking very good, haha. It dawned on me that it definitely needs to be out of the main living space, but not having a "family room" that probably means it has to go, since the price to recover it and the associated ottoman is almost $2000, lol. OMG.. not gonna happen. And I recently decided that I didn't need to keep 3 bikes in the house.. Haha.. Being a guy, and living alone these things tend to just happen.

In other areas things are going well. My little tropical home on the other side of the world is coming along nicely (a few pics attached).. when I was last there this summer we were still pouring the foundation. Of course there we have a demanding and hard working boss in charge so things are getting done on schedule, haha. Even though she doesn't live there and has to make a trip from another island, she has things running well and on schedule. Much better than I would, although I am asked for decisions on every aspect. Currently the tile is being completed and handmade doors are almost done. The house is small (2 bdrm) but has great views, and will serve well as my winter and spring residence. One pic is of my little red mini-truck getting a bath from a recent tropical storm - it has hauled a lot of rocks, gravel and cement up that mountain.

I hope all is going well with you, Mizz. I loved the description of the herbal remedies book, and can imagine there were some nice illustrations..

Old 11-03-2022, 06:25 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Your Tropical home is coming along nicely, Advbike. It looks beautiful. What a blessing. I cant wait to see the final results. Im sure you'll be happy when the construction, decisions, and all other aspects are over. Also, I just LOVE your little truck. Zipping around in it seems fun. I am truly happy for you and this entire situation.

Ya, three bikes in one house is a lot, but its your hobby and its something that helps you to shine! Perhaps those bikes need their own little house? haha! I can see that for sure. As for your chair. Well, it has life. It has memories. It has age. I tend to get semi sentimental about various things..... An old Chair from the 40's would be something I would cherish.

Its good you are getting the house in order. We always have things to keep us busy. Also, getting ready to have guests over sounds great now that we are basically done with the pandemic. THANK THE HEAVENS FOR THAT!

I am doing well. Its been really cold lately and I have been sleeping in more. I need it. I took a few days off from all physical activities and have gotten back to it this morning. Weights. Tomorrow I run. I just needed a breather. The good thing is that I dont feel any way about it. Usually my head starts going with concern and worry if I take time off from the activities. Its nice to see a change in my brain. Less worry. Less concern. Less.....A lot less.

Halloween came and went. I dressed as a witch. The story was that I was suspended from the School Of Modern Day Witches. Part of my punishment was to work with the mortals at the circus. It was fun. Lots of costumes and laughter. Lots of shenanigans. Lots of imagination.

So, life is going well and I cant complain. Just doing the things and keeping myself steady on the planet.

Be well, ALL!
Old 11-03-2022, 12:16 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Thanks Mizz, for your kind and positive words of encouragement!

I'm glad you had fun on Halloween (haha a witch - you are so NOT that!). And good to hear that you're getting back to running - we need it for our peace of mind. I have also been sleeping better now that the sun is not beaming into my house at 5:30 AM! anymore, and the nights are chilly again. So good to have that deep sleep.

Best to you, always.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:37 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Sober. Processing some stuff. That is par for the course with life.

Im starting to feel a lot better about myself these days. My mental and emotional world is becoming more solid. I noticed how I dont have anyone in my life telling me negative things about myself. Telling me what I need to work on. Telling me all about me and my challenges or my shortcomings. Not having that chatter in my ear has proven to be a 100% positive. Its been a blessing. A lesson. One that I didn't see. Now that I see it, I cant un-see it! Now that I know better I can do better. I guess I am saying that I didnt realize how affected I was until I decided to make a change. Some changes are terribly hard. GO GO GADGET, SELF CARE and SELF ESTEEM.....and SELF LOVE! (Inspector Gadget is a classic! If you have not watched it then I suggest spending some quality time with this cartoon!)

Finally got back to running this morning. I've been putting it off. I think sometimes we need a break. I have said I would run but then I didnt. I said I would lift weights and then didnt. So, I am back to doing what makes me feel good.

Have a good day, ALL!

Its a Monday. Shower time and then the circus.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:56 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Im not a gambler but I did spend multiple dollars on this Powerball situation. So, I guess Im a gambler this week only folks!
Anyone whos anyone is playing. 2.04 BILLION! I mean, HELLO RETIREMENT! I can see it now. I will officially get the Popsicle Bike Business dream going. I dont want much. Just some sun, a boombox, a hat, a bike, and some kick ass popsicles that people want to eat. Lemonade.

Back to reality.....
Step ONE: Do not be derailed today. Keep boundaries firmly in place.

Step TWO: Do not let personal matters interfere with professional matters. So far so good......This is getting dicey though.

Step THREE: FOCUS. Keep Focused. Block out the noise.

Step FOUR: DO NOT BE DERAILED. Boundaries. Boundaries. Boundaries. Have so many boundaries that people wont even recognize you. Your just the walking billboard of BOUNDARIES.

Also, expect a meeting. Also, stare blankly ahead. Also, present evidence. Also.....REMAIN CALM! Also, dont present evidence. I dont know. Just feel it out. You already know its been coming. STAND UP STRAIGHT!

So, I knew that a situation was going to present itself. I knew I was going to have to face it. I knew that my actions of stopping personal contact with a person would somehow trickle into my work life. I knew for one week that something was going to happen. Yesterday morning my gut told me that conversations were taking place. It was confirmed by late morning. I continue to remain professional. I continue to do my part. I continue to stand firm with my personal boundary and professional boundary.

Lesson: You are the main actor in this play. You do get to decide who and what is in your life. Have integrity. Have some faith in yourself. You are healthy. For the love of all that is holy just dont mix business and friendships ever again. .......... Just keep walking forward and keep your head held high. YOU are GOOD ENOUGH, SMART ENOUGH, and PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

Pep talk over. Sober. Time to head to the circus.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:05 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

We didnt win 2 billion .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaR6aqL-L3Y
Old 11-22-2022, 12:47 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Hi Mizz, how are you doing? Haven't seen you around lately and I hope all is well.