Notices

Creating New Habits

Old 08-18-2022, 06:06 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Ive been getting through a challenging few days at work. We are a very small group. When one person is off, it can send the day into a bit of a funk. I am the one who has to make sure this little group stays steady, positive, and does not stomp around in frustration. Yes, stomp around. Ill figure out how to address the stomping.

One solution I had was to write a manual for one of the departments. I hammered out the manual. Laminated it. Put it in a binder and said "This is your instruction guide to this area." Under the title of this manual it reads "Everything you need to know to get the job done!" Im just working towards solutions here.....Solutions. Solutions. Solutions.

I need to get back to writing, resting, running, and into a better state mentally. Im not down per say. Im just sort of getting through the stuff right now. I think its other peoples stuff. Am I taking it on? Im certainly not trying to but I had my energetic walls down and then all these energies came barreling in like a tornado. I try to remember that being in your twenties is a hard long walk of twenty something stuff. Its not easy. It wasnt for me. Anyways.......Its Thursday. Im listening to Buddhability. Im going to get the morning prayer/ chant session done and then make my way to the circus.

Sober. Rested. Onwards and upwards and all that stuff that makes life beautiful!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:57 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Hang in there Mizz—it is tough to be in your twenties, but it is also hard to do management stuff at times too. We’re all learning.

Manual sounds like a great proactive solution to the daily corrections / feedback / “what needs doing” stuff that grinds down the stamina of even the most enthusiastic supervisors. . . .(to self “really they can’t see this needs doing daily, this way, properly”??????)
Old 08-29-2022, 10:45 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hi Mizz! Just getting caught up on your thread..

You rock, woman. Great job on the Half! I think that's a great time, but if you do want to go faster.. intervals are the only way I think. Once or twice a week. I was shocked at how my time improved when I did them for a while when I ran with a running group in Sacramento. They made us do them, haha.

I think you're doing great overall - don't let the work stuff get to you. You are a fine leader.. inspiring.

Just remember to allow time for fun.. enjoy life!

Old 08-31-2022, 06:14 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support, Advbike.

Sober. Ive been wanting to write here but I keep erasing the post. Its hard to get out what I am thinking right now. Ill get there.

Im sober physically. Not mentally or emotionally. Im getting back to solid ground. Sometimes it takes me awhile to recover from the deep mental dives that happen. That is okay. I am okay. Everything is okay. We are all okay.

Old 08-31-2022, 06:43 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about not feeling emotionally or mentally sober even though we are physically. It’s an odd “ unbalance“ almost like learning a new way to walk.

My feeling is “uneasy discombobulation” and it is like that hard-training breathlessness before you get stronger running—perhaps “spiritual intervals” are at work here. . .
Old 09-04-2022, 09:24 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

So, Ive been looping around in anxiety for over a week now. Loop. loop. loop. Play words in my mind on repeat. Again and again and again and again. The last episode I had like this was December 2021. It lasted for many many days. I had intrusive thoughts at that time. It was scary.

I have a call out to a psychologist. An email. Im waving the white flag here, guys! I would like to get this under control and not go into these episodes that take over my entire life and tell me I am insane or unstable or whatever it is the anxiety wants to say at any given time.

The trigger: I was told my behavior was ugly. This language used towards me, from an innocent joke that had nothing behind it, was the catapult off the anxiety diving board. I looked up "ugly behavior" and it means: disgraceful, shameful, and inappropriate.

....I felt deeply shamed and judged. Then all of the other words used towards me by this person came barreling in: Dramatic, unprofessional, demonstrative, childish, lacks boundaries, needs help, needs therapy, your sobriety and chanting are not working, your repeating old behaviors, you can never take criticism........ On and on and on. I think Im back in the loop. Will stop writing all the things this person has said to me down..... . Its not helping. It makes me feel really really ******. Those words have been playing on repeat in my mind.

So, I have a call out to the psychologist to get help for the state I found myself in. I am no longer in personal contact with this person. I have a lot of fear right now. My self esteem is somewhere around here. I dont really know how I got here but HERE I AM! I am sober. I am not a victim. I am not in victim mentality. I have a raging anxiety disorder and some other stuff going on that needs an intervention. I cannot do this anymore. I want to get better. Im too ******* healthy to be this unhealthy mentally.

Onwards and Upwards!
Old 09-04-2022, 09:38 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry, Mizz.

I don't believe you are those things. I know when I start seeing myself as one-Up or one-Down, I've lost the plot.

You are a beloved child of God. You are standing on Holy ground.

I'm glad you aren't in contact. Pray for them, and stay away.

Blessings and love to you.
Old 09-04-2022, 11:08 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

I would like to address how tiring this is. The anxiety waxes and wanes. So, I can be doing really well for weeks at a time with minor flare ups. Flare ups that are manageable and I remain focused.at work, at home, and accomplish lots of little goals.

When I go into the FREIGHT TRAIN episodes, all focus, dedication, healthy coping skills, and energy go out the window. I become paralyzed and trapped on my own personal Merry Go Round of hellish thoughts. Its really bad. If I were not sober, I would not be able to recognize what was wrong.

Ive had enough FREIGHT TRAINS over the course of two years to know that I cycle through these things. There is an emotional component. When x, y, and z happen I plummet. When I do A, B, and C, I am okay. How do I stay in A, B and C or can we have an D,E, and F but stay clear of the x, y and z? Its just more tools....... More learning. More. More. More. I am kind of tired of this.

Ive spent a lot of time working on my self esteem and feeling good about my life and what I was doing with my life. My sense of self can be upended when I hear constant criticism. The hypercritical behavior was insidious. Then I proved them right. I ran. I didnt say anything when the words were being told to me. I remained silent. Then I left after I heard one word too many.

In therapy, with my future head fixer, I hope I can learn why I remained silent. I hope I can learn to create an unwavering sense of self. I hope I can also remain vulnerable and open to hear words....... If I solicit the advice. This stuff was unsolicited. I just found myself in a place that was unhealthy and before I knew it, I felt trapped and unable to get away from it. Until I got away from it proving them right. Its all very complex in my head.

There is no escape here. I will learn....I will grow. I will.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:15 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Reading that second posting from me just shows how much I loop...... Haha! Im real good at it too. Repeating the same stuff over and over. So, its an example of Mizz's brain on the Freight Train. Thanks for not judging. Soon enough Ill be off the ride.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:59 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

First, Mizz, BIG HUGS from your surgical day mate! ❤️🤓

Second, agreed….stop rewriting those words, look at that moment, that godawful moment, but don’t stare at it.

Lets look and see what you are, for real.

A woman who went through HORRIBLE long distance surgery and scary waiting…….Sober and optimistic

A friend who is here for others, even when she has anxieties of her own. That’s so giving!

One who can be a leader, to be brave and stand out against wrong doings at work, and going a step further, creating a job description and writing a proposal for role and salary changes. And they were accepted!

A lover of running, who obtained a renewed vigor for the sport, ventured out with different running shoes that were initially outside the comfort zone of a once trusted brand.

These truths do NOT describe the person above.

The lies and opinions you were told comes from someone with self loathing. Who is jealous of you. Who sees you as a threat to their job/lifestyle.

In my life I have learned that people often misinterpret:

Kindness for stupidity

Trust for gullibility

Forgiveness as a form of memory loss

Patience as lack of value of time

Love as weakness

Creativity as time-wasting

Generosity as wastefulness

So, since you practice all of these good things:

Keep going.

You’re doing just fine

Old 09-05-2022, 06:08 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Thanks, Free!
I spent some time reading about shame spirals. I also spent a lot of time reading about trauma, PTSD, anxiety disorders, toxic relationships, Mental and emotional abuse and everything under the sun on the internet as to what happened in my brain. My brain. Not that I am saying this person mentally and emotionally abused me. I am not saying I am traumatized by them. I am not saying I know what happened. I am just looking for answers as to what happened in my own head while I wait for an actual professional to call me back. All readings actually said "Mizz, you are not a professional head fixer. Wait for a professional to give their assessment" haha!

The goal is to not have a weeks long upheaval that is TOTALLY non productive for the productive life that I have built. The goal is really to address the episodes. I think anything could have sent me into an episode. That is what I am trying to understand and get ahead of. I am still on the planet. This wasnt the first Freight Train and it wont be the last.

I am 5'4 and when I stand up straight I look taller. I do not believe I am all these things said about me. I can be those things at times. We all can. Its just being a human. No one is perfect and everyone has their stuff. The constant hypercritical behavior was wearing me the **** down.

I do believe that I put myself in a relationship for many years, with a friend, where the power dynamic was off. I do think there is some past wounding that played out, and I do think I have a great opportunity to learn from this.

The most important thing is that I get back on track and learn what my triggers are. Learn to speak up. Learn to hold my ground. I felt inferior and I want to know why and how I can not feel that way again. So, all of this is about my own growth on the planet. Learning what to say and not say to people. I did not say any of the above to this person. Why? BECAUSE ITS HURTFUL. No one likes an armchair expert or someone who pretends to be a psychologist. Leave it to the professionals. I am not that. They are not that. So, dont do that. Its not healthy.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:57 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
sober style

I love reading your posts in this thread, Mizz. Great things are ahead for you in life, I'd say; thanks for sharing your adventures (both external and internal) here on SR.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:27 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Thanks for hanging with me, everyone!
I made it off the train today.

When one is in the round about, one stays in the round about. The round about lets you go, you don't let go of the round about.

Anyways...This is life. My life. I am grateful.
My cat is snoring.
Its calm. THANK THE HEAVENS ITS CALM!

Old 09-06-2022, 05:11 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

I don't believe that's true for me. I get off the round-about at the street I choose.

Rumination can cause the physical symptoms. Rumination is where the problems become circular and loopy.

I try very hard to work all my tools when I have an overly-stressful thing happen. You did the things. You went no-contact. You did some internet research. You came on here and posted about it. You reached out for a professional. Maybe all those things were the turn-signal and your efforts paid off.

I just want to say a little sumpin sumpin about therapy...be very careful to whom you tell your story. I've done a little therapy, and the most helpful by far was a lay person volunteer (female) who just kind of took me in (metaphorically) when I was in crisis. She changed me. I had very bad luck with paid professionals. But I know you know to walk away. That's what I did with the professionals. If the first one isn't a fit, keep searching.

I really like this lady...her soothing voice, her "nutshell" short videos...she has a lot of them on anxiety, trauma, fear, PTSD, etc.. Sometimes I just put on one of her videos for her voice, but she has a lot of great info and links to online therapy if that's something you'd want to try.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TherapyinaNutshell/videos

(I am not affiliated, I'm not in her church, either. She's Church of Latter Day Saints, but she never talks about that and she rarely mentions any kind of spiritual beliefs. I only figured it out by a book on her bookshelf. Recently she added her church to her profile - so, fair warning. I've never known the religious beliefs of any doctor or psychologist so that doesn't put me off personally. )
Old 09-06-2022, 06:45 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

BB- Yes, getting back to the things that keep me centered. The tools that work.

-One of the big changes that has taken place was my work schedule changed. With that change I put running and chanting on the back burner due to not being able to wake up earlier in the morning. If I want to get back to feeling and staying grounded, I have to reimplement what works. I can do this!

- Thank you for noticing that I did in fact get myself out of the loop. I am a talker. I need to talk, or write, or get it all out. I found myself in a place of fear and silenced myself here due to not wanting to seem or sound or be a certain way......I had a lot of judgement towards myself. That being said, once I opened up and let this world know what was happening, I did start to see some light. The train was slowing down. Not in the speed I wanted but slowing down.....

- As for a therapist.....Yes, I am hesitant to open up to someone. I didnt have the best experience with therapy before. I want to stay clear of Orange plastic chairs, medications, and alcohol. I dont see any of those three things in my future. In fact, I do see that if I do not learn any new healthy tools then I will walk. Run. Sprint. Whatever is necessary.

- The link to those videos is much appreciated. There is so much to learn there. I will listen and watch them when I get off work tonight.

For now, I will play Gongyo and Daimoku in the shower and chant while gettting ready for the circus!

By the way...... I really appreciate how much support you offer me, BB! You have always come when I clearly need some honest and compassionate grounding. You helped me immensely the last time I was suffering in a big freight train way. THANK YOU!
I hope to be able to return the kindness.

-

Old 09-06-2022, 07:15 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

ALSO,
THANK YOU to everyone who commented and offered their support. Thank you. Free! You offered so much kindness and gave me some uplifting life affirming goodness. Snazzy! Thank you. I do think there are really good amazing things to come.

I am grateful to know all of you.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:40 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I found that using a journal is really effective for me to work through my ish. I have a few pages on my computer that I use to vent or talk out issues. It's super helpful.

Some people swear by scheduled daily ten minute, "Worry Time," too. I dunno about that, I've heard of it in several venues but I'm too free-spirited to schedule my worrying. I can see where it would helpful to stop rumination. "I will think about that during Worry Time!!" It would be self-enforced page-turning.

My journal has helped me so much, even though some of the pages are strictly for fear or anger issues. Since it's on my computer, I can just highlight and delete when something is no longer bothering me. It's really cathartic and usually only takes a few minutes to work through most things.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:15 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

I thought about this journaling thing on my way home. When I was a young, during some television show, the screen would switch to colors and a long long beep. I imagined myself typing out my thoughts, while in one of my mind twists, and then the long beep comes in due to all the language I use while typing......Just one long fantastic never ending beeeeeeeeeeppppppp!

Things have settled down tremendously. I am back and feeling hopeful again. "HERE I AM WORLD!"
My spouse was getting a bit worried. I mean, he is adjusted to the UP'S and Big UP'S but when the real BIG ONE HITS.....Well, I guess it can be cause for concern. Thank god for water wings and Santa Cruz Lemonade. I mean, I dont know where Id be without those two things. I have the lemonade stock piled in the laundry room. I look like a y2ker in a sense.

Also, my cats are quite the special little things. While watching a movie last weekend, I found myself in a hysterical ugly crying state and eating Starburst after Starburst. The two felines felt it was best to smother me, and try to purr me back to a state of normalcy. Im not going to be accountable for this state I found myself in. Its not my fault. DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE BLACKBIRD. Its not worth swollen eyes, If you do watch it.....God Speed! I digress, my feline friends have just been quite amazing lately. Pets can really do wonders in a persons life.

Lastly, the circus did not disappoint today. Some angry man was telling us we were going viral ,while holding up his phone, and causing a giant scene. We all just stood there staring at him while he raged on. He was obviously not having a good time. I mean, we have all been around long enough to know that this situation is one where you remain expressionless as possible. Its like you're a mannequin.

Its amazes me the antics people play out in stores. My days are never ever ever dull at this circus. Never. That is not how the cookie crumbles in my part of the world. I have this idea of wanting to write a sitcom about all the insane stuff we go through on a daily basis. We can have our moments of talking to the camera in the freezer. One entire episode can be about how I offended a person over a sign we put in our plants to stop them from watering them. "This sign makes me want to put water in your plants"
I mean, that sign created meetings. Created an upheaval. Created a world of chaos
....Oh ya, we go there people. We just dive on in and crank up the nonsense.

( There is a sitcom in a grocery store already out, but I do think this particular market would be better. Its top notch! Just sayin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7UewQgxNs
Old 09-07-2022, 06:17 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

People be definitely crazy out there. I blame a certain news channel (well, and the interwebz) that thrive on chaos and deception. Never before has there been such a large forum for the actual unfiltered and imaginary bizarre things between our ears.

I'm personally involved with a certain real life murder mystery and the crazy surrounding it is really interesting/scary/predictable.

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep indeed.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:55 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Oh Mizz, I'm so sorry you went through that. People are kind of crazy now and I tend to react the same way as you did - when I've had enough I just walk away. There is no point in engaging with them. But I don't generally let their words get to me. I know I am not those things they said or implied. My wish for you is that you find ways to reinforce your self image. I personally think you are a wonderful person imbued with so many positive character traits that you are a role model for me.

We do live in crazy times - people are living in different realities now based on their sources of information. Many have rejected the traditional news sources, which - while not perfect - at least held to journalistic standards and did fact-based investigative research. Unfortunately there are many other sources, including social media that thrive on unfounded opinions and conspiracies, and are sowing chaos, disruption, and grievance. Sadly, many people have been sucked into that world, and they are really angry.

Do not let the crazies get to you. Enjoy the wonderful life you have created for yourself and ground yourself in that.