Notices

Creating New Habits

Old 07-16-2022, 04:48 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Congrats, Mizz! You have done an AMAZING job on this - conquering so many things, by taking one step forward at a time. Sometimes two forward and one back.. but ultimately and steadily forward. Living in the moment and with your reality. Fixing things that are broken!

You really do inspire me with your actions and words, and the way you help others.

Thank you for all you do, my friend. And for being here.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:49 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Woot woot! Getting closer to that TWO YEAR mark. 90 days, 90 days…….
Huge congrats on 21 months, Mizz.

Thanks for the support too, it means a lot, Yes, we traumatized are either broken or super strong. WE are super strong.

I don’t know what a GAD is 😟

Loved your forgiveness song, I heard your voice in those words, and the tune also.

Big hugs,

L
Old 07-17-2022, 05:54 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Great Agony Disorder
Geeze And Duh
Great And Deep
Grateful And Demur
Gone And Done
Germs And Disease

Am I close?
Old 07-18-2022, 10:07 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  
sober style

Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Old 07-19-2022, 06:38 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Mizz outstanding work on your 21 months 10 days . Free, days adding up for you too—both of you doing great. I’m back to nearly 7 months continuous sobriety again headed towards my first year then forever goal. Even though the past decade I have been sober nearly all the time, the stupid short relapses have been very harmful and set me back emotionally and physically. I cannot drink alcohol safely ever. I know that, I need to live that truth with honest action. Even if I “get away” with a short buzz and mild hangover, it still harms my soul.

I also have many issues leftover from FOO alcoholic narcissist mother, who is dead I guess nearly a decade now. I actually don’t know what year anymore.

It also left me with plenty of GAD, though didn’t know the label. I actually see evidence from the ragged tatters of bitten peeled fingernails at age 57 still, and even toenails (don’t bite but peel them when anxious) and my still-lasting lifelong habit of sleeping curled in a ball back to door with pillow firmly clamped on my head to avoid being woken by noise or bothered by maudlin drunk mom. So so many years ago and that emotional part of brain keeps things fresh, don’t it?

The ache in the gut still often visits. The feeling I have no control, I am doomed to repeat the unloving cycle of my childhood. My brother is visiting from Australia and I recognize this is perhaps the last time we will see each other in the flesh—he has health issues and I no longer fly. I am scared because so much needs to be said and healed. So much lost between us due to our upbringing.

Anyway, my wall is tall and he wants to get in but though he comes in love he is also dangerous. He has a self-serving nature too, and doesn’t see it. He takes easily and expects it, though he has grown very much through the years.

Not quite sure of right-action here but not going to drink over any of it. That’s my superpower here.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:03 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Haweye- Congrats on seven months. That is outstanding. SUPER! I am sorry to hear of your childhood and the memories living on into your adult life. Its hard work getting over and through this kind of stuff. Some stuff just stays there, and some stuff has some resolve. Some stuff coming in from nowhere....Blindsiding the day.

I also have short nails. Never able to grow them out. My grandmother was known for her long, well cared for, manicured nails. She would buy a nail thickener, paint, and have all the tools on her side table. Watching old Westerns and painting away. Filing and cutting. More paint. I would sit and eat her chalk mint candies, held in a crystal dish, on her coffee table. The ones with the pastel colors that left a layer of dust on my face. I hated Westerns, but I loved to be with my grandmother. That is my memory of nails.

I do hope the visit with your brother is healthy and productive. That is all we can ask for. Its strange to think this may be the last time you will see him in person. Those thoughts are the reality. Still strange. It has some kind of deeper effect on our lives. The truth of it all. I send you all the positive thoughts I have. A good visit. Good Food. Some healing, if possible.

I am moving along. Have been quiet these days. Lots of writing and rewriting, and then going around in circles with the writing. I've been a bit low, but not for any particular reason. I've taken a few days off from my exercise routine. I dont find the rest to be helpful for my overall mood so I am getting back to it this morning. The half marathon is less than one month out. I have to get myself in order. I'm ready. Not mentally, but physically I can handle it.

I feel "older" the past week. Just older. My body is slowing down some. I'm not as driven right now. I'm just here.
Seasons come and go. I'm in a season. I can be good with the season and let it pass like all things do. This too shall pass. Thankfully, I am fairly stable now and don't let the ups and downs get the better of me. It is what it is.

I have a small vial of drops made from human placenta. Its stem cell type stuff. Real pricey. These drops are to help with the scaring and overall regeneration of my eyeball.

The professionals: "We just harvested placenta from a C-section. We would like for you to put this in your eye!"

Me: "Umm.....I mean, if you think this will work. Who's placenta though? This feels really intimate, ya know?"

The Professionals: "Dont worry, Mizz. We will send you all the information when the bottle arrives. Just use this placenta. Its backed by science. Not backed by the FDA. No your insurance will not cover this"

Me: I think I'm in some sort of strange medical study about liquid placenta and eye balls........ Im going to be famous, guys. Not in the way I had hoped but fame nonetheless. My eye will be in medical review magazines, and I will travel the world with my human placenta regenerated eye ball. Showing everyone the amazing benefits of these super expensive drops. I can see it now. Fame, Here I come!

Tis ALL!

Old 07-21-2022, 12:17 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

LOL, I felt the same way 35 years ago when my dentist said, "Pulverized human cadaver bone in your jaw." Uh. Whose?

I opted for the untried experimental synthetic "bone" powder substitute and it worked (grafted) fine.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:58 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Sleep.
Ive been averaging about 7 hours of sleep a night. I dont think this is enough. I am now making a conscious effort to work towards getting in 8 hours a night. I think I will feel better with the extra hour.

Mentally- I have been doing well. My thoughts are positive. Im not swirling around in a negative space

Physically- I am strong. The half marathon is approaching. Ive got a long run scheduled tomorrow.
Spiritually- Chanting in the mornings and reading literature
Emotionally- Ive been a bit up and down but nothing to worry about. No extremes.

Life is good. Sober.
Oh, and I had a celebrity citing yesterday. She played the hospital administrator on Nurse Jackie. Akalitis. So, that was cool. Its not often that you see a famous person around here. What a treat!
Old 07-26-2022, 05:11 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

9 miles yesterday. I didnt get the miles I wanted, but I am determined to get in another few long runs before the half.

I had yesterday off after a six day work week. My work week starts again this morning. I feel rested. I am grateful. We are moving along. I have a job that allows me creative freedom and for the most part autonomy. No complaints. My days will be starting earlier now per management. All is well there. I dont mind. Im up super early anyways.

Today: Conquer my part of the world by being positive. Offering kindness. Staying focused. Write one page. ONE PAGE!
All of those things are possible. I can do this.

Morning chant session and then off to weights and a run.
Enjoy the day, ALL!

Old 07-26-2022, 06:04 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Sounds great mizz!

when I trained for my half I did one LONG run once a week. The rest were 5,5, 7, 10.

Sounds like your preparing well.

As for work, look at you! You WROTE your job, after really hating it. And you got help too, right?

Really impressed with you, my friend.

Big hugs from your AF sista 😎🤓❤️
Old 07-26-2022, 06:28 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Yes, I did write my job....Or rather I wrote to my employers what my job has been and then they honored me with a new title and raise.

Yes, we have more help. Its in the form of restructuring employees from other teams when they have limited work. So far its working out fine. On the days it does not work, its okay. Tomorrow is another day. Thankfully, ya? I wake up to another day of life. I am so grateful. Blessed. All the good stuff.

Thank you for your support, Free. How have you been? How is Mr. Free? Life? How is the golfing going?

Old 07-26-2022, 06:40 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

I agree the single longer run is usually better option—builds confidence but doesn’t tear you down as much since staying injury-free so critical, especially when a little older. . .

Have you read Julia Morgenstearn’s “The Artist’s Way” Mizz? She suggests something called “Morning Pages” which I have fund helpful for creative generation and clearing.

You sound great and so happy things are going well for you!
Old 07-26-2022, 03:26 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Administrator

I look forward to hearing about the eye treatment as it progresses Mizz

D
Old 07-27-2022, 05:28 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Hawk- No, I have not read "The Artists Way." I did just put it on my wish list on audible.
So, I will get to this book when I receive another credit. Currently working my way through "The Choice" by Dr. Edith Edgar.

Dee- I actually have an eye appointment this morning so we can see how I am progressing. Hopefully I will hear that the super expensive eye drops have started to regenerate and heal. My eye is perpetually pinkish on one side. All is well. I am healthy. I can see. Worlds away from the stress of the beginning of the year. Its onwards and upwards.

I can hardly believe I've made it this far into sobriety. I feel like a newborn with all of this stuff. Then I think to myself, you're actually living a sober life and the struggle has left. The debate has left. Your life is exactly what you have created. Running. Weights. Writing. Reading. Listening. Healthy. Sleeping. Remembering. Not causing any drama. Head is screwed on in the right direction. Anxiety is at bay. Tools and more tools and then more tools. Just staying the course "no matter what" has paid off.

So, as hard as it was to get sober and swim with my water wings....... I think the hardest part was getting the anxiety under control. I now feel like I am driving this vehicle I live in, as opposed to the anxiety driving me all over hell and back, crashing into stuff, and acting like a untamed wild horse. Blessed. Grateful. Reaching new heights. I mean, its daily work for sure. Things can go astray if I let them. I wont though. I cant afford to get off track.

So, as much as I worked to remain positive yesterday and keep the peace in my head, I reverted back to an old thought process, letting someone's actions affect my head space. I have to remember that what people choose to do or not do is not about me. We all have our stuff. Its not mine to take on even if I feel like it directly affects me. Its not about me. Other peoples actions are not about me. Not about me.

A customer said to me yesterday "Its really hard to be a good human!" This comment made me smile. She is right. Sometimes its really hard to think, act, be, and do the right thing. Today, I will work towards not calling my coworker an ******* in my head. Today, I will not judge the lack of team atmosphere. I will accept my shortcomings and accept their shortcomings and keep myself on my peace walk. ........

"Im mostly peace, love and light and a little go **** yourself"

Have a great day, ALL!

Old 07-28-2022, 04:28 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Mentally: A bit stressed with work.

Physically: Eyeball is doing great. Eyedrops for the next few months. New glasses are on the way. I guess I'm supposed to be wearing eyeglasses full time.........My face doesn't like this Baby steps.

Emotionally: Solid. Staying level.

Spiritually: Centered and chanting like my life depends on it. I need to focus.

Sleep: Well, my body does not want the extra hour. I was awake at 3:30 am yesterday. 3 am today.
I cant force this. This experiment is not going as planned. At least I can focus on sleep hygiene these days. I mean, I am living a life of complete luxury if my focus is on sleep and how much sleep I am getting.

Have a great day, ALL!
Old 07-30-2022, 04:56 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Mizz, it’s fantastic to read your recent updates and know you are doing well.

Your daily insights are gold.. thanks for sharing those thoughts with us.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:15 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Lovely updates, and so well written!

Im so sorry work has been stressful. Your strategy is good, to be aware being a good human is hard, for all of us.

i found myself pounding on the ceiling at the family renting upstairs whose adult humans let their children RUN inside. I could do better than that. Hindsight 20/20. 😃

Good about the eyeball and expensive eye drops. 👁👀👁👀👁👀👁👀

Its late as I catch up here, so will update maybe tomorrow.

Sweet dreams
Old 07-31-2022, 06:31 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Shaolin Monk wormhole. It makes me want to join the nearest Kung- Fu class. I have always had this idea that I would become black belt or Master at some form of Martial Art.....Or just learn some form of Martial Art. There is no time like the present. I've had crazier ideas. This idea is a lot better then my "I'm going to sell popsicles from a bike and listen to music all day long!"

This idea (Learning Martial Arts) keeps me financially stable and on the planet.....Cause Mortgage, car payment, and responsibilities at my age. I'm not able to forgo all these comforts I have acquired. Its just not the 42 year old plan. Selling popsicles from a bike would ensure that I reach homeless level real quick.

I looked into Martial Arts classes and all that is being offered in Jujutsu. Its not what I had in mind. I'm going to keep looking and perhaps this tiny seed will grow into something bigger. The idea keeps coming up in my brain. I have the time...Sort of. I am sober. I can dedicate multiple hours a week to training. I think this is worth looking into further. I did send an email to a studio last year but the pandemic kind of took the wind out of everything. I will reach out again. Perhaps the wind has come back.

Moving along. My Floral Department Head has decided she is moving to Ireland. She has been offered a Florist job in a small village. Is it called a village? Anyways, she has been offered a job and she will be moving in two months.
I'm elated for her. To be young, carefree, and unsettled in that way. I have always encouraged her to reach for her highest dream, and that dream was to move to Ireland. So, may she flourish in her new position in Ireland. The one thing we can count on in life is change. Change and more change.

I took the day to lay around yesterday after a longish run. Physically I am doing really well although I had a blood pressure reading at the eye doc and it came back severely low. Too low. We actually had two readings because the woman thought the machine was being finnicky. The second reading was the same very low numbers.
Im a Zombie, guys. A full fledged Zombie. I need to call the doctor tomorrow.

Luckily I stopped myself from deep diving into Doctor Google about low blood pressure. I mean, I read a few things and said "Mizz, You are too smart to go down into this. You are not a doctor. You already have anxiety. No more google searches. Get your ass to the professionals with all the machines and the degrees. You can be a Zombie for another week or so. You have not died yet"

Yes, I did say all of the above to myself......

Advbike- I hope you are feeling a bit better.

Free- There are worse things then pounding on a ceiling. There are some parents who "Forget" to tame the wild animal they have created, or they just dont think the wild animal needs to be tamed.

Boundaries are the one thing I think some parents lack when it comes to their children. I see it all the time at my work. Those little wild animals are destructive while their parents are off in the clouds or just don't care. It can be so frustrating to witness and then to clean up after........I sure hope the parents received the message about the running. NO. Just NO!

Old 07-31-2022, 11:51 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread Mizz - I love keeping up with you and watching you do so well. Makes me happy.

Speaking of which, who watched the final of the European Women's Cup in Football/Soccer. I feel like I watched history.

Not because of the quality of the game, which has been high for years, but everything that went with it - the packed stadium, seriousness of the commentators, all of it.

Of course it helps that England won at home at Wembley, but those are the kinds of moments that make change. As someone who played the game (badly) as a child, all I can say is WOW. And with all that is wrong in the world right now, I needed a little WOW.

It was magic.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:49 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Dropsie, I watched the women's competition. Congratulations to England! Women's football/soccer has changed so much. The first time I watched a women's tournament was in the nineties and it was almost like nobody apart from the players took it seriously. As you say, the quality of the game has been high for a long time, but now it's on a totally different level because the general perception is different.