Notices

Creating New Habits

Old 04-18-2022, 09:48 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

It could also be that the air filter is clogged. Is it smoking? That tends to be an indicator. A clogged air filter starves it for air and it runs "rich" (too much fuel in the mixture).

If it revs up cleanly but then loses power under a load it is mostly likely running "lean", which is not enough fuel in the mixture. The choke will help that condition.

When you changed the plug was it clean or sooty where the electrode is? Sooty is rich, clean or burned is lean.

You could even have bad gas (in the mower, haha). When did you last use it?
Old 04-21-2022, 05:29 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

I think I should have given a bit more information on this lawn mower especially If I am asking a sobriety forum to help diagnose and fix the problem.

I left out the part, unintentionally, where the rain came and rained on the lawn mower.

A few weeks back...I changed the spark plug. No rain.
I mowed the lawn. She was doing really well and motoring along, chopping up all the grass, etc.
Then it rained. The lawn mower was wheeled out of the rain and put in a place of safety.
A few days later, I set about to mow the lawn again. She started and there was not an issue except when I put her down on the grass she would stop. This was a new development.

So, I went through this start and stop for a bit and then I headed on down to the hardware store. I bought oil, put gas in her and checked all the parts to make sure they were "on" and then started the mower again. Within 15 seconds of mowing she stopped. This happened a few times.....

So, we are now at that place where I might have killed the mower....?...... Due to unintentionally leaving her out in the rain. ...... Yes, It was an accident. Probably a really expensive one too! How does a person accidentally leave a mower out in the rain?
Carelessness and "out of sight. Out of mind" kind of stuff. I feel bad.........

I am going to remove the gas (Once I figure out how to do that. I hope this does not involve siphoning out gas) and let her dry out.

I will check the choke ( after review of videos and gathering more information)

What else should I do?

There is no smoke coming out. The plug was not too bad when I changed it.

I think I killed it. Ill prepare for a funeral once the death is truly confirmed.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:01 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Ha ha ha.. an added bit to the story.. How old is the mower? I'm guessing based on your comments that it is an older 4-stroke with a Briggs & Stratton type engine? Or a newer 2-stroke, where you mix the oil and gas together?

A little rain should not have killed it.. seriously.. and the fact that it runs means you have fuel and spark. I suspect water got in the gas (is the tank on top?) and since it is heavier it tends to sink to the bottom of the tank and thus drain into the carburetor, where it makes the mixture crap. Often on older 4-stroke mowers, the carburetor has a plug on the bottom of the float bowl where you can drain out any water (do it over newspaper as gas will come out too). The fact that it runs, but dies under load, points to something with the fuel system, but it could also be a loose or corroded plug wire.

Worst case a mower shop can probably look at it for some minimal amount. They love to diagnose these things (as do I, as a qualified backyard mechanic, lol)..
Old 04-21-2022, 11:49 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

If you get it fixed, my lawn can sure use a cut... XX
Old 04-24-2022, 07:58 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

I took a run yesterday and then stayed horizontal for the remainder of the day. Endurance and stamina are lacking big time. I've got 3 full months to get miles in before this half marathon. Ill be good to go by then.

This morning I plan on FIXING the lawn mower and then working in the yard. We have a beautiful yard. It requires a LOT of work though. I dont full grasp how people get everything done? I do not have all the free time I would like for the upkeep of this property. When I see peoples pristine yards, I assume they are retired. This assumption helps me to feel better about my life!
I suppose I could forgo the running and all the other stuff and then I would have the time. I do see the issue is with me and my priorities.

This week in strange behavior:
The male coworker who threw me under the bus, and left me for dead awhile ago, decided that he needed to explain to me the process of a woman giving birth. He actually said "When labor starts then there are contractions" so on and so forth. I looked at him and started choking on my own saliva. "Really? WOW! I had no idea!" He said he couldn't help himself. How bout dat? Its a strange world when a man explains to a woman the process of giving birth. Sometimes I don't know what planet I'm on? He told me once that he was called a mansplainer. It hurt his feelings. I mean, well, um, well, you don't say? Could there be some truth to this word? It seems fitting. Should I explain to him the definition of this word? He probably already knows. In fact, he could and would tell me the definition of this word for a full 10 minutes if I let him.

I'm going to pray for his mental health.

Spiritually- I am solid.
Emotionally- I am solid
Physically- I am solid.
Mentally- I am solid.

Gotta jam!

Oh, Im sober. Very sober. Happy to be sober.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:37 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP WITH THE LAWNMOWER! SHE HAS BEEN FIXED!

She starts on the first pull and has not died while mowing. There was water at the bottom of the carburetor. Now that I understand how to remove parts and what to look for, I think she will be fine for years to come. I'm proud of her. I'm proud of myself. I could have had my spouse fix this machine, but I really want to learn and know how to do things on my own. Next up.....The moon!

Old 04-24-2022, 05:34 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

You go girl!
Old 04-25-2022, 05:46 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I want to apologize to this forum for my childish behavior regarding a work situation.

Im not the best at processing at times. Im not the best at letting things go. Im not the best at this sort of stuff.
I can get sideways and its unhealthy. I should not have mentioned what I mentioned and I do apologize. I wont mention this stuff again.

Ive been thinking about why I get so unnerved and I guess its all the history. So, I am working diligently to be a better person in regards to what I think about, what my mind focuses on. All of that stuff. Thanks for bearing with me.

Sober.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:45 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

You rule, Mizz! Awesome job on the lawnmower, and I saw nothing at all childish about your reflections about the coworker. He does sound patronizing, or like what is now commonly referred to as a "mansplainer". Your reaction was perfectly normal, and I'm sorry you have to deal with people like that. Do not give it a further second of your time.

Keep on keeping on, Mizz!
Old 04-25-2022, 04:18 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
All is Change

The kindness is a good antidote to many things. Can't go wrong with that. Where there is a general strength it's not wrong to be understanding of the 'mansplainer'. What made him like this? What makes people like this. Is it all they are? Aren't we all imperfect bags of potential to be silly, to be smart, childish, patronising etc.? What really matters is that there is an ability to be aware. More awareness, less remorse, more kindness and on and on and on.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:05 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  
All is Change

Sometimes things are not what they seem. Let's say Person A has a toothache and as a result looses composure and may hit out. Person B may be on the receiving end and, because of pre-existing conditioned behaviours within, Person B reacts with anger and declares that person A is a royal pain in the butt, or worse. Person C observes all this and understands that Person A is usually a very congenial Person but is suffering, and so, again because of pre-existing conditions judges that Person B is an ignorant a-hole and gradually more fuel is put on the fire.

Looking for ways to put water on the fire is a good idea.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:32 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
The kindness is a good antidote to many things. Can't go wrong with that. Where there is a general strength it's not wrong to be understanding of the 'mansplainer'. What made him like this? What makes people like this. Is it all they are? Aren't we all imperfect bags of potential to be silly, to be smart, childish, patronising etc.? What really matters is that there is an ability to be aware. More awareness, less remorse, more kindness and on and on and on.
This makes sense. I have the potential to be all of the things and then not all of the things depending on the day, time, moon alignment, sun alignment, tiredness, hunger, etc. I'm an imperfect human strolling around on this ball we call a planet.

I dont like how I judge the situation. My insides feel bad.
I dont like feeling small and talked down to or talked at or explained things that I honestly didn't ask about. I think the issue is me.
The things I dont like. I mean, I dont have to like it. I have to accept it. Ive realized just now, exactly just now, that I have never accepting this sort of behavior but learning to not take this personal would help with internal peace.

So, I allow myself to feel this way. I think I can honestly work on removing any emotion and any judgements when this happens. Ill have PLENTY OF CHANCES due to the fact its a weekly and sometimes daily event. I mean, I really have a chance for internal change here. Its staring me right in the face. The only person I can change, and want to change, is me. Tomorrow is my day, guys. I'm going to change this. I'm going to win over these feelings. These thoughts. Im not going to be defeated and Im not going to let another's behavior move my needle either way. I have to stay center and grounded.

Wish me luck as I head out there into the giant world of people, places and things that I will encounter. There is a lot going on out there.

I was slightly embarrassed and talked myself out of looking at the forum.
Then I said to myself, "Mizz, sit yourself down and get back to what has kept you sober. Put your adult self in the chair, at the table, and face the forum. Work through your nonsense and grow. So.....Its a small step. A small but nurturing step towards the healing of my insides.

Thanks, Advbike for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:46 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't see any need for apologies here Mizz.
Its great to aim to be non judgemental and full of love and understanding...but people can still be jerks.

D
Old 04-27-2022, 06:30 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

I had a response today that was positive. I was presented with information about one of my departments, and its not doing as well as it should. I was not at work during this time. Reading the information was surprising but I am adjusted to the ups and downs with these sorts of emails. Usually, my emotions will come into play. Not this time.

This morning, I was glad to have this information presented to me. I am fortunate. Fortunate to be able to help solve a problem and to get the ship moving in the direction it needs to sail. I think there was progress made internally. Now, this was only the first "lack of emotional" response but I think I can take more steps. I know that A, B, And C were accurate. I know that D, E, F and G happened. I can only do what I do and either there is a positive result or there is a negative. Aiming for positive. Always.

As for the other stuff.....Well, I have yet to run into any "splaining" since I last talked about it.

I have tomorrow off and I will be landscaping AKA laying down black tarp to stop weeds, and then using wood chips to cover the tarp and around the plants. I had an epiphany the other day when I tore out some weeds. "Why dont you just get smart about this, Mizz!" so, Im going to be smart tomorrow.

Sober. 566 days. What an accomplishment.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:35 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Fantastic job on all fronts, Mizz!
Old 04-28-2022, 12:33 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

I told myself that If I could just make it through the eye situation, unscathed, uncompromised, that I would get to the area in my yard that needed the most attention. I told myself that I needed to get to that area every day. I held on to this thought. I held on to the thought that winter always turns to spring. That I would not stay in the bed I was resting in, or recovering in, or getting well in. I would get out. I would be healthy. I will be healthy. I told myself this every single day for months. Chanted to be healthy. Chanted for the moment when I would be in my yard, with the sun, with the plants. With my sober self. Strong and capable. Ear buds on full blast listening to latest episode of Heart of the Matter or a Buddhability episode. Just me and the plants and the battle of the Jasmine.

I was laying down black tarp by 7am. I put on my rain coat for awhile due to the coast being unpredictable, Covered in mud. Covered in rain. Eventually the sun decided it would shine on the world. Me, in the sun, digging in the dirt. Im dry now.
I made it. I am so ******* grateful to have made it!

TIs all!
Old 04-29-2022, 03:06 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  
sober style

Mizz, I like that post so much I just reread it twice this morning, first thing just now, barely even awake yet. I'm going to cultivate that type of spirit today myself. Also I'm not sure if I've mentioned it but I had really bad cataracts for years, had totally lost sight in my right eye in fact, that surgery (post-societal-covid-crisis) finally resolved last summer. Being able to see now, it's a legit miracle that I've been undeservingly blessed with, one I need to remind myself of more often.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:28 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Snazzy- It is truly amazing and a miracle that your eyes have been restored. This is such wonderful news. I am so happy for you. Yes, we cannot take this miracle for granted.

So, when I got back to work after my eye surgery, there was a bottle of Tryptophan that was sitting at my desk area. Someone had circled, with a sharpie, the words on the label that read "promotes positive mood and healthy behavior" and then off to the side they wrote "YOU NEED"

I dont know if this "message" was meant for me? I don't know who would do such a thing? I dont know if it was a customer or an employee? What I do know is that when I drove home that night, I thought to myself, maybe I should give this supplement a try.

I have been suffering from symptoms of anxiety that involve cyclic thinking, worry, and many other symptoms of anxiety that seemed out of control, and my abilities to control the symptoms have fallen short. I have been this way for so long (close to 20 years) that recognizing what is normal and not normal has not been easy.

I give myself a gold star for making it this far with the skills and tools I have. I have been on medications before. The story with those medications is a horror story. In short, I was prescribed medications that had created a psychosis and I landed myself in a psych ward after relapsing on alcohol. I was locked in a room with an orange chair. I could not leave the psych ward unless I admitted myself into a rehab. So, off to rehab I went. From there I detoxed off medications. My brain surged for months.

I think I stayed sober for 8 months after that stint in rehab.....Anyways, that is another story for another day. That was also a very very long time ago......When my alcoholism and trauma started to show itself on full display. Now that I think about it, Ive been battling this beast of alcoholism for well over a decade. Time does seem to get away from us!

My reluctance to try western meds is there for a good reason.

I thought, "I can give this an honest try and if the rumination, cyclic thoughts, and overall worry do not change after a few weeks then I will GLADLY go to the doctor" I will try medications once again.

I was ready, officially ready, to get the disorder under control.

It has taken me 18 months to get stable. To see the disorder clearly. I mean, I was also trying to navigate the eye situation, the severe COVID case I had......Life was really not all rainbows and unicorns and Care Bears. I think I did very well despite it all! Hugs all around, ya know?

I have been taking the supplement now for one month, or maybe a little less and I see vast improvement. My thoughts do not cycle as much. I am able to move on from things and focus elsewhere mentally. I am sleeping well. I am not constantly worried. My emotions seem level and there is distance from the emotions. Not emotionless but some distance, which is a really good thing. I dont want to say that I was just a walking emotional wreck and acting in this manner because I wasnt. I was however feeling everything to a degree that seemed unmanageable. Mainly just cycling around in thoughts.

So, the "message on the bottle" was received, whether it meant for me or not. I suspect it was meant for me but I will never know the truth. One more tool on the tool belt.
Old 04-30-2022, 07:09 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Wonderful to catch up Mizz!

Today I received a book online that is audio on meditation, and the benefits to some scientific parts of the brain, and how we are all intertwined (I KNEW that already), and how our thoughts and lives affects others.

Example, your palm tree story making advbike happy, and me too. We in fact, exchanged atoms without touching or even have met in person. Sounds weird and heavy, but I’m willing to give meditation a try.

When I did yoga at my gym in ILLINOIS a while back, I had insights, calmness, and strength to ‘see’ me, and others. I was sober too then, and all that mindfulness and the desire for it is now coming back.

Glad the lawnmower is fixed, will also pray for the mansplainer too.

You can get there in 12 weeks for the half marathon. I was a runner my whole life, and you know what step one is?

Believe.

2. Visualize it, the race, you, like you are seeing yourself in a dream. Direct the dream. You are calm, steong, cadence and breathing are in sync. See yourself crossing that finish line strong.

Any other hints you might like from me, PM me.

Much love,

🤓❤️
Old 05-01-2022, 07:36 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

What an odd, but interesting story about the Tryptophan. And your difficult past situation. MIzz, you really changed your life in every aspect. Life certainly has it's twists and turns, and Free makes a good point, that we all affect each other.

Cadence and breathing in sync.. yes, it is so awesome. I remember it well from running, and on my hard rides I sometimes get onto that higher plane for close to an hour (on a 2 hr ride). If I am lucky. Massive endorphins.

Keep up the amazing work, both of you.