Notices

See ya

Old 12-13-2004, 09:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

hey pete

Hi Pete
I'm so glad you came back! Don't beat yourself up, you did real well and I think it's quite normal to slip ... as long as you get back on the programme!!

It IS disappointing...I've been there often!!! But keep coming back, ok

Cathy
Old 12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The only way we fail is...

if we quit trying. Until then, some of us just succeed slower.

Originally Posted by icecream pete
Sh*t got to 23 days and blew it . Not posting any more, because until I can hold it together for a decent length of time I dont feel that my opinions are valid. Thought I was gonna win this time, but not to be. So start again, crap,day 1 seems soo depressing. Why cant I do this for ant length of time? Still each time I learn a bit. Hope I can learn enough before it kills me. I am so angry.

I know, I know what has to be done but habit can kick in at weekends and before I know it I am back to square one.

Take care you guys.

Pete
Hey Pete, like Music said, there is no winning at this thing. To win, there must be an end so we can see what the score is after the final gun.

There is no end here. We are alcoholic, and will be so long as we draw breath. What CAN end is the drinking and the misery that comes with it. Yours did, for 23 days, and now you go on.

Quit looking at the 23 days, because those days mean nothing...TODAY is the only day that means anything. I spent a long time trying to get 30, 90 days...6 months, a year...and instead kept picking up white chips because I kept getting out of today. Ya gotta live where your feet are...in TODAY.

You know how much sober time I have? Well, it's 12 noon here and I got up at 5:45, so I have 6 hours and 15 minutes. Probably less than you by about 5 or 6 hours since you live in the UK. That's all. Just since I woke up...and it will stay that way for the rest of my life. If I ever look at it any other way, go ahead and get my next white chip ready.
Well, it's 12:32 now (I went out and cut some firewood, so sue me) so I am up to 6 hours and 47 minutes, and you are still ahead of me.

The point is, how many sober weeks, months, or years you have doesn't mean a damn thing. What matters is that you are sober today. I don't even know how much time I have except since I got up today. And I really don't care. After all, let's say I had 20 years sober, but got up today and got drunk. What good would that 20 years do me today? Would it instantly make me sober? Nope. I'd still be a wet drunk just like someone who had never even gotten one day.

Pete, I'll be 50 yrs old next month, and I've been an alcoholic since about 17 or 18, and I've got a good bit of expirience as an addiction councelor, and I can't beat this thing. The only way I can stay sober is:

The 12 steps of AA...working them, DAILY.
The fellowship of AA.
Knowing that I cannot do this alone, and daily asking God to hold my hand and lead me to know His will, and asking for the loan of His strength to do that will.

That's all. Simple. Not easy, but simple.

Get your butt to a bunch of meetings and come back and keep sharing.

BubbaBob
Old 12-13-2004, 09:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

((((((IceCreamPete))))))))
Eventually my own CRAP turned into being the compost for which I now owe my surrender to begin sober growth in Recovery.

3Legs
Old 12-13-2004, 10:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
Just since I woke up...and it will stay that way for the rest of my life. If I ever look at it any other way, go ahead and get my next white chip ready.
Yep.
The longtimer's whoever got up the earliest this morning.
Much easier to remember the only thing that really, really, really matters.
This 24 hours.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Pete,

glad to see you're stayin. This is a we program. We get sober together. We support each other. You staying helps me. You've helped the newcommer. Hardly a one of us hasn't tried to stop drinking and failed before. This program works. I wouldn't be here if it didn't Do you want to be sober more then you want to have the pain that, brought you into AA in the first place. I want to say I want to you to stay. Someone can learn from you

chris
Old 12-13-2004, 01:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Went to my AA meeting tonight and there was someone there for the first time, the last person I saw in that position was me. I saw how far I had actually come in a few short weeks. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my failures I dont see the steps forward. I am so grateful that I was there tonight and here today. So I have been sober for 15 1/2 hours, the clock will start again tomorrow.

If I could hug each of you I would ( in a discreet manly way of course ) so thanks.((((((((((())))))))))

Pete
Old 12-13-2004, 02:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Look at the percentages

Pete,

I've said similar things in other posts, but look at it this way -- by the time you read this, you will have been sober 24 out of the last 25 days!

That means you've been sober 96% of the time in the last 25 days.

That sounds pretty darn good to me!

Toivo
Old 12-13-2004, 04:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Dan

Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my failures I dont see the steps forward.
We're far too adept at that subtle form of self loathing. I find that for me, it's one of the prime reasons I need a support circle of people. To point out what is sometimes invisible to my stubborn, imperfect thinking.
Thanks again for another reminder Pete.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

HA HA!!! I beat ya!

So I have been sober for 15 1/2 hours, the clock will start again tomorrow.

Pete
It's 11:07 PM here, and you are probably asleep.

I'm fixin' to go to bed and I got 17 hours and 22 minutes today.

We start again tomorrow...one day at a time. You'll have me beat by 5-6 hours before I even get up tomorrow...damn UK time zones...<g>

BubbaBob
Old 12-13-2004, 10:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If I could hug each of you I would ( in a discreet manly way of course ) so thanks.((((((((((())))))))))

Pete

hugs accepted ....( nin a discreet, manly way of course)

having a sense of humor like that can get us through some of the real drudgy minutes of this new life.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Paused

I have a better pair of boots this time.
Thought maybe you could use these. Continue to move forward and work the steps as needed. By doing so, you'll do fine Pete. Your gonna make it. Thanks for sharing your ES&H with us. You'll look awful nifty in your new pair of boots. They're so festive.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Oooh, thanks LeAnne
Got an idea now for my xmas day ensemble.

Nice one Pete, one day at a time, that's all we can do.

JC
Old 12-14-2004, 12:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for the boots LeAnne, they are sure to help with my sobriety.......they will get me thrown out of most of the bars I can think of!

New day, new clock, another tick behind me.

Thanks guys

Pete
Old 12-14-2004, 12:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks for the boots LeAnne, they are sure to help with my sobriety.......they will get me thrown out of most of the bars I can think of!
LOL, yeah Pete, I believe that to be true. Honestly, I'm a little mystified with the Christmas boot. I ran across that in my Christmas files and knew it would come in handy somewhere. It must be a funky Texan thing? What do you think? Can anyone help me out here? Christmas boot? Why? By the way JaySee, I'm going to try to steer you towards your mules instead of the boots. Trust me on that one.

Yep another tick for me also. It's a good feeling isn't it?
Old 12-14-2004, 12:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Pete,I am glad to see you are still posting here.It appears pretty obvious a lot of people in here care about you and want you to stick around.You have become a part of our family here and we need you buddy.Keep coming back,and just take it one day at a time.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I suppose I am something of a control freak, like to be in charge, want the world to dance to my tune ( thats a little unfair but you get my point),

Pete
Pete

That's the addict in us and I have exactly the same feelings. It's not a bad thing so long as we recognise it. Life doesn't stop when we slip. Every day presents a new opportunity.

I'm not the best at this but I am early in recovery and trying to take one day at a time. I have a whole crock of sh1t going on at the moment but I am so grateful for my sobriety today.

If you want to pm me I'll happily give you my phone no. for a chat.

Stick with it Pete.

Rich
Old 02-04-2005, 10:07 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Paused

Wazzup Pete?