Notices

Blamed for his Drinking

Old 09-29-2021, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blamed for his Drinking

I have been in a relationship for 4 years my partner has drunk since we met but the amounts have gradually increased I rarely see him without a drink in his hand even when out in public which I知 not comfortable with .

everytime he comes to my house he brings alcohol and when he goes home buys more .

He is verbally abusive when drunk and has recently become very ill and passing blood and showing signs of liver damage .

I lost my mum a year ago due to alcoholism she passed away from liver cirrhosis today is the 1st anniversary of her funeral and my partner has turned to me and said I知 part of the reason he drinks and he has to drink to deal with me and only drinks when he comes here and I知 part of the habit when I知 tee total and don稚 drink .He said he wanted to stop drinking I知 the reason why and I知 part of the problem .

This has genuinely hurt me as my mother would say similar things to me .

He was drinking when we met and drinks with his friends and at home in public everywhere he chooses to buy alcohol and bring it here but it痴 my Fault.

Am I responsible for this ?
Old 09-29-2021, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Not unless you tie him down and pour the alcohol down his throat. He and he alone is responsible. He drinks because he wants to drink. If he is an alcoholic, he made himself an alcoholic. Alcoholics are prolific liars and will blame their drinking on anyone or anything. Please don't let him deceive you.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Of course you are not responsible for this. He drinks because he is an alcoholic.

Have you ever been to an Al-Anon meeting?
Old 09-29-2021, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Magneta82 View Post
Am I responsible for this?
Not in the least. It's not uncommon for the alcoholic who can't quit on his own to blame others instead of taking responsibility for his own drinking. Someone else recommended Al-Anon and I second that as a place where you can get helpful advice and guidance on how to deal with this. You'll also meet others going through similar circumstances. Has your partner considered getting help himself?
Old 09-29-2021, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ZIP

You're not responsible for your partner's decision to drink...and drink excessively, for that matter.
Addicts -drug or alcohol- often exhibit manipulative behavior, particularly when questioned or confronted about their addiction.
Been there. Done that.
Don't fall for that blame game. You're not the one pouring alcohol into him.
​​​​​​Hopefully, he chooses to get help.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You are not responsible in any way for his drinking and abusive behavior. I'd get rid of him like the trash he is. He's not treating you decently and you deserve better. A lot better.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely not you who's responsible for his problem or his choices Magneta82

Welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support both here and in our family and friends forums too.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
D
Old 09-30-2021, 03:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with least.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Magneta82 View Post
I have been in a relationship for 4 years my partner has drunk since we met but the amounts have gradually increased I rarely see him without a drink in his hand even when out in public which I知 not comfortable with .

everytime he comes to my house he brings alcohol and when he goes home buys more .

He is verbally abusive when drunk and has recently become very ill and passing blood and showing signs of liver damage .

I lost my mum a year ago due to alcoholism she passed away from liver cirrhosis today is the 1st anniversary of her funeral and my partner has turned to me and said I知 part of the reason he drinks and he has to drink to deal with me and only drinks when he comes here and I知 part of the habit when I知 tee total and don稚 drink .He said he wanted to stop drinking I知 the reason why and I知 part of the problem .

This has genuinely hurt me as my mother would say similar things to me .

He was drinking when we met and drinks with his friends and at home in public everywhere he chooses to buy alcohol and bring it here but it痴 my Fault.

Am I responsible for this ?
You're not remotely responsible.
Not for his drinking or his ***** behaviour.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

no, you are not responsible for his drinking. or your mother’s.
no matter which way they twist(ed) it.
what you ARE responsible for is for taking care of yourself and getting help, if you need it, with getting a clear picture of how you’re being treated and why you are sticking around for this and then see if you want to change your circumstances.
wishing you all the best with that!
Old 10-03-2021, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Am I responsible for this?

NO
Old 10-04-2021, 08:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

100% you are NOT responsible for his drinking nor for your mother's.

God bless you

🙏❤