Notices

Health Anxiety

Old 09-20-2021, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health Anxiety

Hi guys,

So I’m back on day 1 and feel awful after drinking last night. Aches and pains all over. My health anxiety is really bad and I’ve convinced myself my liver has finally given in. Does anyone have any strategies for overcoming health anxiety? I’m trying to calm down and not be negative but it’s really hard. Obviously not drinking is the #1 solution but just wondered about other people’s experiences.

Take care,

J
Old 09-20-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have a long history of health anxiety and general anxiety too. In the early days I used alcohol as a self medication, but of course that made things worse after a while. The solution for me involved counseling, lifestyle change ( diet, exercise, sleep, etc ) a lot of reading and self reflection and also practicing mindfulness and meditation. But first I had to quit drinking as alcohol is a powerful depressant.

there is no magic bullet out there, and as I found the initial anxiety of withdrawal is a separate issue that will dissipate on its own. The other diagnosed anxiety that underlies the acute is what I am referring to above: It might be worth speaking to a counselor about it if you can
Old 09-20-2021, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply Scott, much appreciated.

I will certainly seek out help. I’m just so scared at the moment I have a burning pain that alternates between my lower and upper back depending on position.

Does anyone else get similar after drinking? Not looking for a diagnosis but keen to hear if it’s common and what it was for you guys.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J226197 View Post
Thanks for your reply Scott, much appreciated.

I will certainly seek out help. I’m just so scared at the moment I have a burning pain that alternates between my lower and upper back depending on position.

Does anyone else get similar after drinking? Not looking for a diagnosis but keen to hear if it’s common and what it was for you guys.
You could go see a doctor if you're worried and clear up any concerns.
But it's pretty normal to feel horrible after drinking and anxiety can make those sensations into something bigger. But like I say, a doctor would help clarify that.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have health anxiety big time…The doom, gloom, and depression has finally lifted after the six month mark, but here at 8 months, things seem finally getting better.

It takes time my friend…. lots of sober time to feel better. Hang in there.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

This may sound like a wiseguy answer... but nothing helped my health anxiety more than stopping drinking and, when I worked up the courage, seeing my doctor for a full checkup

Make this day one a lasting one J
Old 09-20-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drinking makes health anxiety worse just because alcohol has that affect. If you are really worried you could go to your doctor, tell her/him about your pain and they can check you out. It might help to calm you and then you can focus on not drinking and posting here for support.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't know about health anxiety, but I know that thinking that my drinking was killing me never got me sober.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have terrible health anxiety as well but it has improved since I stopped drinking. I'm 83 days sober today and I feel so much better including my hypochondria condition. Drinking was responsible for a large percentage of my anxiety and this became apparent within 3 or 4 weeks and has continued to resolve it self. Has it gone completely from my life no but it's much improved. So if I were you I would do whatever it takes to stay sober because it's the only way anxiety will get better. For me AA is the only way I could get and stay sober. So why not give aa an honest try which would include get a sponsor and work the steps,go to meetings early and leave late. These things work for me so well I no longer have the desire to drink and it's become a non issue. It will stay that way as long as I keep doing the steps and going to meetings.
David
Old 09-20-2021, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

J- My health anxiety was terrible! I also did have torso pain on and off, as well as lots of other crazy stuff, all of which is gone now after a bit over a month sober. Just being managed medically made me feel better mentally, (I took myself to the ER and they admitted me) and the symptoms faded over the first two weeks and now I feel pretty normal. All I can say is, it wasn't as bad as I feared and I'm so glad I went to get checked out- please don't let symptoms get worse and worse before asking for medical help. (I know no one wants to hear that- I was the last person I ever thought would go to an ER on my own!!!) We all know that nothing will improve if you continue drinking, and the sky is the limit when you do- it just takes time to heal, recover and find your path. I don't worry about my health now because I'm being proactive and have an excellent handle on my stats and numbers. Am I perfect? Nope. But so far, everything is manageable, and I know for a fact that would not be true if I take another sip of alcohol.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J226197 View Post
Hi guys,

So I’m back on day 1 and feel awful after drinking last night. Aches and pains all over. My health anxiety is really bad and I’ve convinced myself my liver has finally given in. Does anyone have any strategies for overcoming health anxiety? I’m trying to calm down and not be negative but it’s really hard. Obviously not drinking is the #1 solution but just wondered about other people’s experiences.

Take care,

J
Best thing you can do is visit a doctor, be totally honest about your level of drinking and desire to be sober, get some blood-work done, and get a baseline for where you're at. I know that probably sounds TERRIFYING, but I had more relapses than I can count because the health anxiety was paralyzing and I thought I might have a stroke or something. I'd always rush back to alcohol because it was the only thing that could silence those demons.

In this case, knowledge is power. Over time, once the withdrawals are out of your system and you have a good idea about the state of your health, you can actually focus on recovery and the health anxiety will quiet down considerably. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2021, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm going through this right now. In stu have a Dr appt tomorrow, which I'm scared for but necessary. Since I won't be drinking again I should be sure that I don't have any lasting damage.
I'm 100% sure I have fatty liver, but I guess I need to see if it's worse. I do have pain in that area in certain positions, as well as my kidneys.

I'm sure you would benefit highly from a Dr appt as well.