Notices

Need help with my wife and her alcohol.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need help with my wife and her alcohol.

I am new to this and am searching for support for dealing with my wife's alcoholism.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Michael

Welcome to SR!

You've come to the right place for support with living with an alcoholic. Pop over to the Friends and Family board and do some reading and posting. That's where you'll find those of us who are caught up in this madness that's called alcoholism.

You're not alone.

Take care

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 12-12-2004, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Michael.Welcome to the forums.

Have you thought about Alanon?It is a recovery programme for friends and family who are in relationships with alcoholics.They should be listed in the directory.We also have a forum here that deals specifically with this issue.You might want to check it out.

Alanon will not be able to fix your wife but it can help you to better understand this complex condition.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Michael, unfortunately unless she acknowledges that she has an alcohol problem there is little you can do.
I know that makes you feel so helpless, but we have to all see our alcohol problem before we can seek the kind of help we need.
My exhusband told me for years that I had a drinking problem, but I would just get angry and defensive and yell at him. The more he complained about my drinking, the more I would avoid him. That is the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that you are having to go through this, but as others have mentioned there are alanon meetings that would be helpful and also books on codependancy as well.

Take care and all the best to you
Diana
Old 12-12-2004, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Happy Christmas!

Dear michael, she won't stop until she wants to, and she won't let anyone in the world get in the way of her drinking...not even you. It's a sad fact...I know...I have been the one that others are concerned about...I would shut my ears, feel shame...but nothing could keep me from my greatest love..the bottle. You must take care of You now. All the best, Bird...get help and council
Old 12-12-2004, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Michael and welcome!
Please stop by the Friends and Family forum. You'll find a lot of support and guidance here!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Michael,
I'm sorry you're dealing with the stresses caused by her alcohol abuse. Perhaps if you'd tell us a little more about your situation we could give you more useful advice. How much is she drinking? Do you feel that your situation is unsafe? What steps, if any, has she taken to deal with her drinking? Does her doctor know how much she's drinking? Most important--how are you doing?
There are people on this forum who have dealt with drinking spouses, and people who have been the drinking spouse. You're not alone. Let us know what kind of info you'd find useful.
Take care,
Don S
Old 12-14-2004, 02:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with everybody posts. Get yourself to a Alanon meeting 1st. Depepnding on how "bad" it is she may need some intervention. You can ask about this at the Alanon meetins. Hang in there bro.