Notices

Please Stay on the Sober Bus Part 49

Old 09-02-2021, 04:44 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Good Morning,
There is a lot going on here with the Kale chips, vehicles that are boats and the Muppets! I like that Dave Grohl made his way back into our morning.

I didn't get a full 8 hrs of sleep but that is okay. I'm sober. I can do almost anything sober. Full day ahead!

Have a wonderful Thursday, everyone. Stay safe and sober.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:19 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

The random facts bus. I like it. I'll sit here ~~~>> <<~~~

Thursday already. Wow.

Dragon, you get keto flu when your electrolytes are out of balance. Really common. Solution: Salt! Eat a pickle!

Old 09-02-2021, 05:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Always great stories here!

Unfortunately, we ended up getting pounded by Ida. Tremendous rainfall and several tornadoes landed in the tri state region. Over fifty major roads are closed this morning. My store flooded again and lost power, so we will spend the day throwing out all our food and waiting to start over yet again. I always joke that my store was built upon Native American burial grounds, and is forever cursed.

Aly, you were in a band?

On the bus, coffee in hand.

Happy riding all!
Old 09-02-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Sigh. That is awful star. s
Old 09-02-2021, 06:04 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I'm marching on!
Old 09-02-2021, 08:13 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Oh, stargazer, how awful and discouraging; you keep getting hit - sigh. You were one of the first persons who came to mind when I woke to the news of the devastation in your area. Ida will probably go down in history as one of the more destructive storms.

Hugs and love your way.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:19 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Geez Star Hope everyone affected is okay....
Old 09-02-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending best wishes Stargazer. I hope you go a long time now without another flood.

That Decoliner is very smart, reminds of something by Buckminster Fuller.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:17 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

On the bus.
Really sorry to hear your store, stargazer.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:04 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

That looks delicious Leigh, rice and all! I'm having chicken and mushroom risotto for lunch today, with a salad and just a little balsamic vinaigrette.

On the bus!
Old 09-02-2021, 04:11 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Patcha, I went keto for awhile. I felt pretty good and lost some weight, but it was hard to maintain and eventually slipped back into the ol' sugar routine. I would get flu like feelings when my body transitioned into the ketosis mode, then if I slipped, I'd have to go thru the transition again. I need to follow your example and cut back on the sugar. (I'd like to drop back on the caffeine intake too). I had an ultra sound recently and it found 'indications' of 'slight' fatty liver (their words).
I'm not sure I could do keto. I'm following the way of eating recommended by endocrinologist Dr Robert Lustig to manage my insulin situation. I chanced upon his videos on youtube. Great stuff. I'm also "eating the rainbow". Last night I roasted squash, carrots, courgette, red pepper and chicken legs. A very cheap and highly nutritious meal that didn't spike my insulin. Why didn't I start doing this years ago. I try not to snack and I'm not looking for replacements for things like sugar, flour or desserts. I'm doing my best to avoid any sweet taste, which is recommended for people with my medical condition. Although I think people who struggle with alcohol cravings could probably also do with avoiding sugar as they are both basically refined carbohydrate energy sources with no nutrients that mess up your brain chemistry.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:14 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Magsie

On the Soberbus

So sorry Star, what a pain.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:12 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Yikes Star...courage!

I'm on the Sober Bus!

Have a great day friends ☼
Old 09-03-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Not again Star! best wishes to you for a speedy cleanup and re-opening.

Got exciting news yesterday. A big infrastructure project I'm involved in just got financial approval. The guy who did the communication and negotiation with the vendor is out due to a bad accident leaving us to figure out the details. It's going to be a fun time!

Happy Friday!

Old 09-03-2021, 04:38 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Star- WOW! I do hope the clean up goes smooth and you and your crew are okay.

Good Morning, SR!
Old 09-03-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey, Congrats Dragon. I'm sorry your negotiator is on the bench, but I have confidence you all will work it out.

On the bus on this o'dark o'clock Friday morning. No drinking will be done in my little corner of the Universe. Thank you all for that.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Smile

Two things I really appreciate about my sobriety are:

1. Longer Life: I now have a much better chance of living into my old age. At the rate I was going I doubt I would've gone far past 60. I have a lot of people that care about me that would be devastated if I died early. I also want to see my son get as old as possible. When I was actively drinking I saw very little point in having a retirement savings account (what would I need it for?) - that's sad.

2. Waking up each day with a clear head: I'm not a morning person at the best of times, so how I managed to get up with a stonking great hangover and still make it to work on time (for nearly 20 years) astounds me. Now when I wake up I feel clear and usually pretty happy. I still want a sleep in , but It's easy to move past.

I definitely want to stay on this bus!

Old 09-03-2021, 09:42 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the Sober Bus slimjim! Live long and prosper as Lieutenant Spock used to say. I too find it astonishing how I went to work with a hangover day after day.

Well done on your diet Patcha. I have been really good at not eating any sugar for the last fortnight, fats not so much as cheese is my downfall. Hey ho, i'm not aiming for perfection, just sensible.

That said I am going to have a British Friday staple of fish and chips tonight. It's Friday so it's allowed.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Patcha, your lunch and dinner meals sounded delicious; sounds like a very effective way to manage the insulin. Good for you for being so proactive.

Welcome, slimjim.

Enjoy your fish and chips, Sao. I absolutely love those meat pies you Brits masterly fix up, especially the steak one.

Congrats on the new infrastructure project, Dragon. I admire your work; development is booming here and there are real concerns about the ability of the infrastructure systems to handle the increased usage demands.

You are quiet, Aly; everything okay, lovely one?

On the Bus.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I'm hungry!