Notices

Why I have more money

Old 08-25-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why I have more money

Hey Everyone
So I've been thinking a lot about alcohol today partly because my bank account today went into the black for the first time in years.

When I was drinking I made all sorts of excuses as to why spending money on alcohol was a good thing. 'It helps you relax'; 'if you didn't spend it on alcohol you'd only spend it on something else'; 'you don't spend THAT much, you always buy cheap alcohol' etc.

Well I thought about how much I WAS spending on alcohol and worked out it was at least £10 a day. That equates to £70 a week - maths has always been my strong point! 😳. Over a year that's £3, 640. Now maybe to some people that's not much but to me it is. That's more than my car is worth for eg. Also I suspect that people with more money wouldn't buy nasty cheap white cider like I was drinking so, of course, they would spend even more than I was.

Dont really know why I'm posting this except to try to encourage others to know that alcohol is an expensive habit as well as being bad for your mental and physical health.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The AV will get an 'in' anyway it can Jase.
Its great you're self aware - you can make plans against drinking.

D
Old 08-25-2021, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes! I did the math as well! It's crazy the amount of money I spent on alcohol! I actually set the money aside and did something real nice for myself at 6 months sober.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have managed to use the expense of alcohol as a deterrent to my drinking. Just the way my mind works. I like to see a healthy bank account at the end of the month. It creates a sense of security which reduces my anxiety. And I have the funds for unforeseen necessities like getting snow tires in the fall, or repairs on my home.

Good for you to enjoy one of the benefits / rewards of sobriety!
Old 08-26-2021, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are also associated costs with drinking that are beyond the simple purchase of the booze. Theres reckless spending, missed work/opportunities, replacing broken and lost things while drunk, bad planning for the future, injuries/health issues from drinking, etc.

I have a couple of years in recovery and last year I was able to open my first savings account since college. A night out might be $40 on booze but then I could add on food bought at bar closing, broken screen on phone, missed work the next day or two, ordered expensive headphones online while drunk, missed dental appointment for toothache, missed payment on electricity, late traffic ticket I forgot because I didnt open the mail for a week, etc. So that 40 dollars on booze can then become several hundred in related costs.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Truth! Some of my worst expenditures have been when I was drunk. I have returned lots of things eating the return charges as a result of my stupidity lol
Old 09-15-2021, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I actually got a new car after 2 years sober. I found I had enough money to make a decent payment