Notices

Like a blink

Old 07-05-2021, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Like a blink

Hi, everyone. Four sober years have passed like a blink. June 10 was my no-drinkversary (Yes, I'm just now getting around to writing about the milestone! That's a good thing... days are full and busy!) It should be said, though, that I still read on SR every night, like a religion, and continue to feel connected to all of you.

My four year reflections: It was so incredibly long and hard, at first, but—and I say this for anyone who is struggling to find sobriety—the hard stuff passed and peace settled. It did. I promise.

I am always unsettled when people write that things didn't get better once they got sober. Unsettled because they are right. For months after I stopped drinking, I still felt awful, both physically and emotionally. But I was just worn out from the hard work of being a closet alcoholic, and I figured life couldn't get much worse, so I stuck with it. And I read here every single night before falling asleep, and I heard myself and saw myself in all of you, and it helped me find a journey all on my own. In time, slowly, slowly, slowly, things got better. I remember the day—the moment!—I felt my first flash that things might be okay. I left work mid-day for a moment alone and drove a short loop on the highway near my work. I had the windows down, the sun was out, I was warm and safe and sober, and I hadn't lied to anyone (myself included) for months. As I drove, I thought about all the good things about that moment, and I felt this very profound flash of contentment. It was the first time I'd felt even a smidge of positivity in years.That was my first good sober moment. Then I had another, and another, and then many more. And now they're better every single day.

So yes. It's miserable at first. But time is funny... one day turns into a week which turns into a month, then months, then a handful of years. A blink. A sweet, sober blink in time.

Thanks, friends. Smile
Old 07-05-2021, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats FMN - 4 years is awesome
D
Old 07-05-2021, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiring post, and congrats on four years!!!
Old 07-05-2021, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Great post, congratulations, you deserve it, you made it happen.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four years sober! Thank you for the inspiring message that it gets better, day by day, bit by bit.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your journey!
Old 07-05-2021, 08:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats and great post!
Old 07-05-2021, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

Awesome, awesome, awesome post!!!

Old 07-06-2021, 02:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
VinBx

Congrats FMN'

Thats a great post. 4 years down the pipeline. Good for you. Thanks for sharing and best of luck. 👍🏼🙏
Old 07-06-2021, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Fantastic news, congrats and thank you for sharing your success. Indeed the little things add up every day to quite an accomplishment, don't they?
Old 07-06-2021, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Loved your post! Thank you and congratulations!
Old 07-06-2021, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Congratulations, my friend.
Way to tell it like it is, too.
It can really stink sometimes to deal with things we couldn't/wouldn't deal with before, but is it ever worth it!

O
Old 07-06-2021, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good to read, very positive. I know for sure that things can be worse or better or just even in sobriety. I know a guy who is sober 20 years, daughter died in sobriety, wife died in sobriety, lost his house, got prostate cancer, got bowel cancer, etc. None of that happened whilst he was pissing it up the wall 7 days a week BUT it's a good day if you wake up sober, and he believes that so it's wonderful if all the AA promises come true and life becomes great in sobriety but it's important to point out that there are a lot of people where that isn't the case but, even so, no more hangovers
Old 07-06-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingMyNext;[url=tel:7662983
7662983]Hi, everyone. Four sober years have passed like a blink. June 10 was my no-drinkversary (Yes, I'm just now getting around to writing about the milestone! That's a good thing... days are full and busy!) It should be said, though, that I still read on SR every night, like a religion, and continue to feel connected to all of you.

My four year reflections: It was so incredibly long and hard, at first, but—and I say this for anyone who is struggling to find sobriety—the hard stuff passed and peace settled. It did. I promise.

I am always unsettled when people write that things didn't get better once they got sober. Unsettled because they are right. For months after I stopped drinking, I still felt awful, both physically and emotionally. But I was just worn out from the hard work of being a closet alcoholic, and I figured life couldn't get much worse, so I stuck with it. And I read here every single night before falling asleep, and I heard myself and saw myself in all of you, and it helped me find a journey all on my own. In time, slowly, slowly, slowly, things got better. I remember the day—the moment!—I felt my first flash that things might be okay. I left work mid-day for a moment alone and drove a short loop on the highway near my work. I had the windows down, the sun was out, I was warm and safe and sober, and I hadn't lied to anyone (myself included) for months. As I drove, I thought about all the good things about that moment, and I felt this very profound flash of contentment. It was the first time I'd felt even a smidge of positivity in years.That was my first good sober moment. Then I had another, and another, and then many more. And now they're better every single day.

So yes. It's miserable at first. But time is funny... one day turns into a week which turns into a month, then months, then a handful of years. A blink. A sweet, sober blink in time.

Thanks, friends. Smile
Very encouraging and great read Finding

Thanks and keep up the great journey…sounds very easy now from your point in sobriety.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!! Quite uplifting, and I needed the inspiration today, so thank you for that!