SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Realize I'm a food addict (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/454523-realize-im-food-addict.html)

100 07-02-2021 01:14 PM

Realize I'm a food addict

I realize I'm addicted to food. Carbs,sweets,salty,fatty foods. If it's decadent and bad for you yup I'm hooked on it. I realize it's making feel terrible. Part of the problem is I'm very tired all the time but also im tired because I eat poorly. I've eating more fruits a vegs but also tons of carbs. It feels as if I'm addicted to every single thing that feels good. I've been eating healthy lunches the last couple of days. I binge on junk food at night.
David

Boondock 07-02-2021 01:29 PM

Maybe try changing your snack choices to like: nuts, popcorn, berries, cut up veggies with dip...stuff like that.

dustyfox 07-02-2021 03:41 PM

HI David, I was like that when I gave up cigarettes about 10 years ago, I craved pleasure from food and just could not stop snacking. Eating healthy is a good idea, I also found chewing gum helpful - I got through packets and packets of sugar free gum - Of an evening I still might pop in some gum rather than snack..
Well done again for getting so far.

Introvrtd1 07-02-2021 09:02 PM

I hear ya David ☹️ I’ve been battling the sugar since sobriety started…I cut it out only to pick it up again 🙁. Hang in there…I’ll keep trying. I’m beating alcohol so I’ll beat the sugar too eventually.

PeacefulWater12 07-02-2021 11:18 PM

I relate to what you share.

What helped me was cutting out my trigger foods, so in my case refined sugar, processed foods, sweeteners (basically everything that messes with brain chemistry). Once I detoxed from them which took about 5 days, all the cravings went.

Same as my alcohol quit, I had to abstain completely or having some would create cravings and off the vicious cycle would go.

It was like trying to moderate alcohol. It does not work for me. Same with sugar.

Like alcohol these foods give a brief buzz and feel good of tasting nice in the mouth, as you mention, but longer term they are exhausting.

Briansy 07-02-2021 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 (Post 7661059)
I hear ya David ☹️ I’ve been battling the sugar since sobriety started…I cut it out only to pick it up again 🙁. Hang in there…I’ll keep trying. I’m beating alcohol so I’ll beat the sugar too eventually.

Big issue for me too. Comes and goes, but obviously is related to alcoholism. Hitting those pleasure centres, trying to fill the void. It's good to read this thread this morning to remind myself to eat well today!

Patcha 07-04-2021 10:47 PM

I'm addicted to so many things. I try to abstain from buying trigger foods but really I'll eat anything I can get my mits on. I love eating. It's so easy to substitute one addiction for another.

fishkiller 07-05-2021 05:11 AM

Early on in my quit I too ate like crap. All my meals are healthy but I ate lots of bad snacks.

My focus was on not drinking.
Once I got that worked out, after about a year, I am now focused on healthier snacks.

I feel Much better.
Sugar is the devils brother.

You do feel better without a bunch of sugar in your system but it is much better than a bunch of alcohol in your system.

Take your time. These things will work themselves out.

biminiblue 07-05-2021 07:09 AM

Take your time. These things will work themselves out.
^^This.

The crazy-spinny-compulsive brain does settle down a lot with a few months of continuous sober Time. Everything becomes less obsess-y, including food. :)

Sugar > Alcohol