Notices

Crippling fear of mortality

Old 07-01-2021, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crippling fear of mortality

Some sober time made me realize one reason I was drinking was I obsessed with mortality. I won't even type the d word. It's and undercurrent that steals joy out my life. That fear is also a big motivation to stay sober. I'm so anxious still so worried.i check my pulse 50 times a day. I have BP machine.i just need to get this off my chest because every day I'm afraid it will be my last adnausem. I'm going to bring this up in a meeting. I believe this fear is the root cause of health anxiety. I also fear if talk about this something bad will happen to me.
David
Old 07-01-2021, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That fear will lessen on time David. I was obsessively checking my health vitals too in the beginning, but I relaxed eventually.

D
Old 07-01-2021, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks dee and I feeling better mostly because I know I'm done drinking I never want to drink that poison again. I'm thinking clearer that I have in a long time. I never realized how much my drinking was affecting me and how much of a problem I had. I'm still feeling shaky which is didn't expect because I wasn't drinking every day so I assumed I wouldn't have withdrawal from drinking 4 to 5 days a week. David
Old 07-02-2021, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there David it gradually gets better, my last detox I was still a bit trembly even at day 8. So I don't think anything abnormal is going on there just give it some time. Keep up the good diet, hydration, good sleep schedule and maybe a multi-vitamin....and you'll make your way out.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get those doom and gloom thoughts too.
After some time sober and working through them I can now push them aside when they start to get obsessive and freak me out..

Don't let your fear of dying keep you from living..

We only get one life, make the most of it.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Better late than never

I'm just finally getting over my own health anxiety. I have a pulse oximeter and blood pressure cup and tore through so many batteries using them over the past couple months. Thing with blood pressure is it rises and fall so much through the day and I've taken readings where one moment it would be 160/90 then the very next reading be in the 120/60 range. Pulse can get as high in the 90s just siting and doing nothing but waking up in the mornings its in the low 60s and my oxygen has dropped below 95 which in this day and age of covid they want you to immediately run off to your doctor and be tested but I find taking a few deep breaths or just getting up and walking around makes it go back up. I just had to force myself to quit using them and keep telling myself that in all probability you're fine and the worse case scenario that can happen is in your head. Like everything else on this road just gotta give it some time and the obsession will start to fade away.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think a lot of it is the years of unhealthy living and my natural proclivity towards Anxious thoughts. When using I eat terrible so I worry about my heart but if I eat healthy I will worry less. So I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegetables. David

Old 07-03-2021, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

I didn’t realize many others suffered from health anxieties. I agree with others in that the more healthy actions we pursue, the less anxious we feel about our health. I think though that as we age, certain things become necessary and critical to healthy aging. It becomes a case of HAVING to do certain things in order to remain strong and independent.